1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
It wouldnt surprise me... average speed cams are popping up in more and more places now. Very worrying trend.

G

·
Spy in the sky (or on the end of a pole anyway)

Hi matey..
It will happen but when and at wot cost who knows. The cat is between me and Angus (kind of) and is a hell of a piece of road provided ya bike is set up properly. I can't see that it will make much difference. You would be a fast man if you can AVERAGE 50 mph over there with traffic coming the other way.... If you can should you be riding that fast on the road anyway. Any clown go fast in a straight line, its the bends that excite me. so to my way of thinking its easily sorted, DON'T go over 50mph down the straights, The corners up there are not big 100mph sweepers. Its tight twisty turns, some which can be done easily at 50, some which would see you sittin with the sheep covered in grass if they were taken at 50.
There has been a POLICE FIREBLADE up there for a year or 3 now so you never know wots behind you. At least you will know your being watched...

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
This week's MCN has an article on this very subject. The average speed cameras will be (unusually) rear facing so bikes are very much the target.
It will happen justified by the continued rate of fatal bike accidents.

I used to ride the Cat n Fiddle quite often up to a few years ago. kn*bs and Police activity in the area have kept me away. Plod also uses its light aircraft as a spotter aimed specifically at high speed bikes.

As Simon says, it is a great section of road which is challenging but very rewarding with lots of cross-views to make use of. Very unforgiving and def no run-offs :rolling:

·
Bald tattooed member
1,257 Posts
its not just k#obs on bikes i had a complete tw#t in a porsche trying to push me over it last time trying to over take round the bends :doh: so i just waved him by before he wiped me out :mad: :mad: i only ever go over it really now on a week day less traffic & less likeliness of traffic cops!!!!!!!
i think derbyshire council are trying to ruin all the best roads by turning them into 50 mph limits now, easier to catch you speeding cos its hard work doing the speed limit on them e.g. sparrow pit to calver road, snake pass,

well thats my little rant over :rolling:

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
This used to be my regular haunt with my friends years ago as i grew up in Macclesfield and so many of them met walls

to which walls dont give when you hit them !!. I raced my Silver/Green Nelli last year down there with an old friend on a

zx9r and his mate on a zx10r and my mate on the zx9r was absolutely flat out and made mincemeat of me but had

practised that road for years whereas i always hated and it never gelled with me plus i didnt want to bin my Tre. the guy

on the zx10r was left for dead by both of us and to say he was trying would be an understatement. My zx9 friend

crashed whilst behind me years ago and he was so lucky he wasnt killed .I'm not keen on the police presence but has to

be said some real nutters have come up on the latest tackle and then binned it wiping out themselves hence its

reputation for policing. Sparkey's right in that 50mph limits are more prevelant now . best bit to do is do the cat and

fiddle at a pace that doesnt get you noticed then leave Buxton for Whaley Bridge which is a cracking road ala TT style

then at whaley lights head for Macclesfield which again is Fantastic with good dips , off cambers etc. this triangle

course does it all and there is never a police thing on the non cat and fiddle bits. Just shows how your riding changes as

years ago we all raced up there and a rule was touch elbows whilst passing someone but when i think now how we risked

everything just to play tag - God Them were the Days !. ps love a breakfast Rob yum ! .

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I did the Buxton to Whalley Bridge road last Sept going to Angus' doo. At that time it was not nice due to the rain and flood waters spewing gravel across the road. :bawl: Such a shame, should visit it in better weather.

The Buxton to Leek road is also a good road, which needs a steady hand ;)

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Try The Buxton To Congleton Road - it starts just where the road splits for the cat and fiddle buxton end and its a rollercoaster of a road ,the hairpin by a pub is spectacular and just like being at the TT great place to see the brakes working overtime ! as you drop down to it . past the Telecommunications mast is blindingly fast but some very sharp bends just when you think its all plain sailing.

·
Bald tattooed member
1,257 Posts
i've never seen any cops on the buxton to whaley bridge road either & personally i prefer that road to the cat & fiddle!!! & the other road i love too!!! i've got a run i like to do at night in the summer from sheff out to tideswell then over the backs to longnor then out that way over towards maccs but that road has a nasty dip!!! as i found out the first time on that road going for the gsxr600 long jump record:eek: :eek: i've never had shakes like it when i pulled over i couldn't ride for about 20 minutes :bawl:
great roads & hardly any traffic in the evenings :clap: :clap:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts