Benelli Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I just removed the air box flaps and exhaust valve from my Tre-K. When I had the exhaust off I noticed the catalytic converter in the pipe where the bulge is near the CO2 sensor. Has anyone tried removing this? Is there a benefit? Is it hard?

I also noticed the path the air follows coming into the airbox is quite tortuous - has anyone played with getting more air in? Finally, I notice the air temp sensor isn't in the airbox like it is in TNT's (early ones anyhow). I would think this is one of the reasons we don't get the hot starting problems on this model - mine behaves perfectly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cat Removal

Hi Robin, I've cut the cat out and wired open the exhaust flap, I'm about to remove it altogether and fit a DNA filter. I've also removed airbox flaps and have taken the complete inside out of the muffler and replaced with a straight through perforated pipe and new stainless end cap same diameter as inner pipe. Completly open exhaust system but looks standard except for the end cap. Revs free and roars now instead of the girl farts of before. Sometime in the next 2 weeks its going on the dyno with the Axone tool to adjust the fueling as there's no factory map for an open exhaust on the TRE-K.
As to the benefits of cat removal, well there's a lot of tiny holes in it so you'd think it restricts flow, it weighs a half a kilo and guts of the muffler is over 2 kilos, weight and restriction = ?... When I dyno the bike I'll post video. Cheers David

·
Benellissimo
682 Posts
Ah, so that's where it is :D
Dunno about the TRE K but removing the cat from my old 1100S BM made a BIG difference. Removed flat spots, improved fuel consumption, revved freer etcv etc. Chipping it then made it even better still. Don't like really noisy bikes (all you're gonna do is turn Joe Public against you and living where I do it's easy to see why) so the end can will stay as is for me but if anyone made a cat replacement pipe that'd really be something. Does anybody really thinkl a TRE K is too quiet?:confused:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Hi Robin, I've cut the cat out and wired open the exhaust flap, I'm about to remove it altogether and fit a DNA filter. I've also removed airbox flaps and have taken the complete inside out of the muffler and replaced with a straight through perforated pipe and new stainless end cap same diameter as inner pipe. Completly open exhaust system but looks standard except for the end cap. Revs free and roars now instead of the girl farts of before. Sometime in the next 2 weeks its going on the dyno with the Axone tool to adjust the fueling as there's no factory map for an open exhaust on the TRE-K.
As to the benefits of cat removal, well there's a lot of tiny holes in it so you'd think it restricts flow, it weighs a half a kilo and guts of the muffler is over 2 kilos, weight and restriction = ?... When I dyno the bike I'll post video. Cheers David
Any video of the Dyno yet ?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi

I just removed the air box flaps and exhaust valve from my Tre-K. When I had the exhaust off I noticed the catalytic converter in the pipe where the bulge is near the CO2 sensor. Has anyone tried removing this? Is there a benefit? Is it hard?

I also noticed the path the air follows coming into the airbox is quite tortuous - has anyone played with getting more air in? Finally, I notice the air temp sensor isn't in the airbox like it is in TNT's (early ones anyhow). I would think this is one of the reasons we don't get the hot starting problems on this model - mine behaves perfectly.
http://www.benelliforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6206

I also removed the intake rings and modified the airbox. See photos above for both mods. Big difference in power. I didnt remove the cat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts