Benelli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can any of you guys tell me the correct way to check my chain adjustment,do you do it while siting on it ,or on a rear paddock stand?:rolleyes

what should the free play be and where is it measured from?

thanks stu.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: chain

The manual does tell you, (15mm gap between top of the chain to the rubbing block under the swing arm) but I suspect it's wrong!
I've been adjusting according to that for 17000k's and the chains just about stuffed - and it's never been dry of oil. I've found that no sooner do I adjust it, that it needs more - then it stays that way for a while. Indicating that the adjustment is too tight at the start, accelerating the wear initially.
I haven't checked out how tight the chain gets when the drive shaft, swing arm bolt and rear axle align, after adjustment, but suspect that it is too tight.
After talking to one of the guys in Jindy, I've started to use his method - no gap - adjust it so that you can just touch the rubbing block. As far as the chain is concerned, it doesn't care how loose it is, as long as it doesn't touch anything it shouldn't.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when your chain is too loose, you get a nasty "on off" reaction of the bike when engaging throttle or cutting it, because of the slack of the chain. Also the "shock" in the chain when you tighten it up when going from closed throttle to open throttle is much bigger the looser it is, so that wont help chain life either.

btw the original chain (Regina) on the Benelli is crap. Mine needed replacement after 14.000km :\

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
btw the original chain (Regina) on the Benelli is crap. Mine needed replacement after 14.000km :\
I binned mine just after 1000 miles:( Complete and utter piece of tosh:eek:

Al

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.