Benelli Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have to replace Chain and Sprockets. Do I have to go to a main dealer and get screwed on price or is there an alternative? Do I change from the standard sizes for better performance? Is there a site out there that caters for the Benelli owner?

I've heard a tiniest little rumour that Lawerance is the King of Bling, so Lawerance any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Not needed a set for my nelli, but have used the below company for my other bikes. Worth a call to check out their prices:

Sprockets Unlimited,
Claybrook Farm Cottage, 103 Brett Forton Road, Badsey,
Evesham, Worcestershire, WR11 7XQ, UK.
Telephone: (01386) 831341

·
5,934 Posts
Do I have to go to a main dealer and get screwed on price or is there an alternative?
Rear sprockets can be got just about anywhere. The front is the problem. It's unique.
benmaw (Benelliforum) MV Augusta - front sprocket is the same across all models so F4 1000 or 750. The center offset was only off by 1 or 2 mm. So I didn't bother to do any machining. Around $80 U.S. Dollar.
Alternatively, you could do what I've done. Pick up some aftermarket ones for Ducati 996..... JT Sprockets Part Number JTF740-14, JTF740-15, JTF740-16, or AFAM 90-0563, and machine the 8 mm boss down to 1 mm. Works a treat, and as cheap as you'll get. Better quality than the original too.

I've got pics on my website http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/~ekowald
Use the menu to navigate to Frame / Final Drive / Alt. Front Sprocket.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Did I hear someone say 'BLING' :D

The front is the problem. It's unique.
Hey you should know be better than that by now Errol :rolling:

You don't need to muck around with all that machining malarkey, I can do the small sprocket with either 14 or 15 teeth for a 520 chain - or 15 or 16 teeth for a 525 chain at a 'group buy' price of £15 :clap: + postage.

Rear sprockets for either a 520 or a 525 chain at a 'group buy' price of £40 :clap::clap: + postage.

Usual email if anybody is interested:- [email protected]

·
5,934 Posts
Hey you should know be better than that by now Errol :rolling:
You don't need to muck around with all that machining malarkey, I can do the small sprocket with either 14 or 15 teeth for a 520 chain - or 15 or 16 teeth for a 525 chain at a 'group buy' price of £15 :clap: + postage.
How did I miss this?:(
When did you do a group buy of them?:confused:

Bloody pity I've got 5 JTF sprockets, not yet machined, sitting on my shelf, plus an unused OEM.:mad:

The original lasted 20,000km.:rolleyes:

I did 25,000 on the 1st JTF:clap:
Changed it at about 1/2 chain life.
Current JTF has done 5,000.

So I'll be calling on you in about 165,000 km.:ele:
Just make sure you've got some ready for me ..... in 2018.:rolling:

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
How did I miss this?:(
When did you do a group buy of them?:confused:
Keep yer knickers on Errol, you haven't missed out on anything as the group buy has not been run on these as yet. :rolleyes:

I don't even know if there is enough interest to run a group buy on them as Dave is the only one that has asked about them so far.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely put me down for a set, how many people do you need for it to be worth your while, I'm kind of in a bit of a panic. I have the chain eating the tire thing going on. Whats the difference between a 520 and a 525 chain??? Can I just buy any chain as long as it's either a 520 or 525, sorry I'm a bit lost when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Thanks Errol, but I'm a bit all thumbs when it comes to modifications like that, I just wouldn't trust anything I modified.

Thanks for all the help guys.....

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi Dave,

If you are desparate mate you are better trying to pick something up yourself as group buys take ages to get together.

The difference between a 520 and 525 chain is explained here

520 is fine if you are going racing but otherwise I'd stick to 525 if I was you but don't try and mix em though, you have to go for one size or the other for the chain and the sprockets

·
224 Posts
Hi Dave,

If you are desparate mate you are better trying to pick something up yourself as group buys take ages to get together.

The difference between a 520 and 525 chain is explained here

520 is fine if you are going racing but otherwise I'd stick to 525 if I was you but don't try and mix em though, you have to go for one size or the other for the chain and the sprockets
A group buy on sprockets sounds great.... Im interested in getting 2 or 3 of the 14T and 15T in 520 for my LE......

Ill keep my eyes peeled for your upcoming group buy....but Im in for sure. I already have quite a few new 520 rear sprockets I have collected for the bike, so I only need some 520 fronts....

thanks once again for your never ending support....:bow: :bow: :bow:

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
I'm kind of in a bit of a panic. I have the chain eating the tire thing going on.
Did you get sorted out with your Sprockets Dave or are you interested in a set?

·
224 Posts
FYI....

If you get a top quality set of sprockets and a top quality 520 chain, you will save weight, decrease the chain width and lower any chain rubbing on the bikes swingarm, and not have to worry about anything breaking...

520 chain and sprocket sets are used on almost all racing bikes even the WSB big Vee twins that put hugh amounts of stress and strain on the drive gear with their big power pulses....

An inline three cylinder engine is much easier on a chain than a big twin, and the inline 4 bigs are likewise......

The important thing to remember is to get the best chain you can, not some cheap 520 item on a discount auction on Ebay......

I have converted every bike I have ever owned to 520....and have never had a failure......

(the last chain problem I have ever had was back in 1969 when a masterlink that fastened with a clip failed on a 250 Greeves Griffon MX bike during a race here in the states....)

On the Benelli(s) I think the 520 would be just the ticket....I know that a number of owners have complained about the 525 chain rubbing the inside of the swingarm, especially with the stock chain, and/or with the chain running to loose and/or out of alignment....The 520 conversion chain is narrower that the 525....so this will aid in keeping clearance of the swingarm...but dont forget to run the correct tightness and alignment too...

I use a racing chain alignment tool on all my bikes that closely measures the length from the swingarm proximal pivot point and the rear axle...if you have the same distance on both sides of the bike you should be pretty close on correct alignment...do not trust any alignment marks on the bikes swingarm to set/check alignment, as this is not very acurate....

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to ease anyones fears about using 520 chain sets....since most all full race bikes use this size, there has been lots of R&D in making super strong chains in this size....I seriously doubt you would ever break a 520 race spec chain on a Benelli .....the inline triple is not as hard on the chain as a full race 1000cc twin in superbike trim for example....

thanks for listening....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Laurence,

Sorry about delay getting back, work thing.

Yep, definitely interested in a set. I'm still waiting for our only dealer to get back to me with a price.... 4 calls later.... Bast*$ds.....

But as I said I kinda need them soon. If you can do them I'd be very greatful and there'd be no problem with payment. I can see from other posts that you've been stung by other users. Cash up front obviously seems the way to go...

Just list whatever else you have in stock and I'm sure we can all help with what you've been left with. I too would be interested in the reso..... I Can't spell the word but the things that hold the Brake and Clutch fluid :doh: :doh: :doh: :D

Many Thanks,
Dave

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hey Dave, I'm hoping to place the order for the sprockets next week so you'll need to let me know what you want to go for by then. Can you please drop me an email to advise? [email protected]

Delivery time to me is around 3 weeks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts