Benelli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!!

Today I turned the ignition key to on, kill switch in the run position and there's no LCD display or tacho movement. The clocks are backlit and the neutral light iluminated. I've not tried to start the engine.
The battery is fully charged (kept on optimate) and I checked all the fuses were ok. I also removed and replaced the connector on the back of the clocks and the large connector on the left of the headstock which I believe supplies the lights and clocks and used some WD40 to clean their connections.
I thought that a connection may be the cause as I washed the road salt off the bike last Saturday (perhaps too vigorously) prior to garaging it - the clocks were working fine then.
Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
I take it you have checked all the obvious stuff Andy i.e. not in gear & side stand up etc. ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Laurence

I checked that the kill switch was in run, sidestand up and in neutral. I didn't check if the sidestand switch was working though. I'll give it a look tomorrow.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still no joy!

Have checked the sidestand, neutral and clutch inhibitor switches and they're all ok:confused: Anyone know which pins should have power at the clock connector? I can't make much sense from the wiring diag.:( . Great day for a ride which makes it even worse........

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have checked the bank of relays and ensured that each relays' connections are clean, and also checked and cleaned all the connectors I could find! Still the same:(

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The same thing happened to me ( 07 - sport ) ,in my case the problem came from the white connector under the fusebox under the seat. It appeared after a wash and the connector were soaked in water:( .
I checked on a 08-TreK and it had the same problem. The connectors and wires were all green of shit:doh:

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
The same thing happened to me ( 07 - sport ) ,in my case the problem came from the white connector under the fusebox under the seat. It appeared after a wash and the connector were soaked in water:( .
I checked on a 08-TreK and it had the same problem. The connectors and wires were all green of shit:doh:
spot on, you will see 2 looped white wires (bridged) coming from a connector on the right hand side under the seat (next to the fuses) that connector sits in a pocket which fills up with water and rots the connections. the connector is there for fitting an alarm (it cuts the ignition a fuel circuits)......... I have had so much trouble with it that I have now paired back the wires and have soldered links across them then I have heat shrink wrapped to protect from further corrosion, I have also drilled holes in the bottom of the plastic casing to allow water to escape.
vtxbrit

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still no clocks

I've checked and cleaned the white connector without any improvement:confused: The bike starts and runs fine but there is no LCD panel functioning or RPM and water temperature, just the backlighting and warning lamps.
I've checked the multi-connector on the clocks and found continuous power from pin 19 and power from pin 20 when the ignition is on. No idea what to check next.....:bawl:

·
1,841 Posts
Ok,I will make a couple of suggestions
Have you checked for grounds at 9--15--16--17 ?
Have you checked the wire from grey ecu connector at A6 connection to number 2 on dash connector ? (water temp)
Have you checked from black ecu connector C2 to number 12 on dash (revs) ?
With 3 faults the fault is likely common so missing earth prob more likely ?
A check for 12 volts on no 8 dash may also be worth doing while you are at it.
colin..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Confused but very happy!

Got home from work ready to check the continuity etc from Colin's suggestions, switched on the ignition and the clocks worked:confused:. I had not touched anything from when I'd left the bike with the clocks not functioning yesterday! Have turned the ignition on and off several times and all seems fine.:ele: Fingers crossed that it stays that way, although I would have liked to known the cause, if the bike wants to fix itself its fine by me! I thought I would need to fork out for a new set of clocks and was quoted £320, so I'm pretty happy at the moment. Thanks for the support guys, hopefully all will remain well.:D

Cheers,

Andy

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Tell you what Andy, these bikes have spirit, sole and a mind of their own :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts