Benelli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum and have and 03 Tornado which I have owned for about 6 months. Recently there was a metalic grinding and excessive vibration. despite stopping immediately the damage was done. It would seem that the starter gear on the rear of the clutch basket has destroyed itself. The net result, new basket, starter, oil pump and whatever else the swarf has damaged. On Yer Bike in Aylesbury are pushing Benelli to provide the parts as a 'good will' measure but the bill I am sure will be huge.

Has anyone else experienced this and more importantly were that successful in getting benelli to take some responsibility. :bawl:

·
Super Moderator
7,779 Posts
Hi Lumpy and welcome to the Forum

There have been a few reported failures of this part which generally have been replaced as the bikes have still been under warranty.

I believe in a couple of other cases Benelli have supplied replacement engines :)

Have a read at this story from one of the Forum members:-
http://members.chello.nl/e.salomons2/index2.htm

Reactions: taff69

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine did this last year, but I noticed it during an oil change before anything actually broke. The Alternator gear was loose and rattling. Brian at KJM was able to get me all the bits I needed as Good will even though mine was out of warranty. It took a little time for him to sort it as is the way with Benelli. He got me the clutch bell, the gears and oil pump plus gaskets and filters for the cost of postage from Wigan (£12) . It did it at about 1800 miles. I've done about 1000 on it so far and all seems OK.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sorry to here about your news lumpy, that's bad news.
I believe the factory policy is if its out of warranty you can put a claim in but it will be dealt with on a case by case basis, e.g full dealer service history low miles, no after market mod's etc etc. Then if it passes the parts have been supplied as a good will gesture from the factory but this I'm sure will stop as a line has to be drawn regarding older bikes. In 30 years of being a honda dealer I have never known them give parts under warranty on bikes 4 years old or out of warranty so if Benelli do it's got to be a result.

Good luck with your claim.

·
Unofficial Factory Tester
166 Posts
All the best with it

Your position should be that this was a known problem and there was a recall of sorts. So the warranty period should not be the main consideration. What needs to be established is whether the dealer ever fitted the parts supplied after the recall.

This happened to numerous engines from the 03 range and most distributors made available replacement parts as most of the failures occured within the warranty period and some had ongoing issues.

To their credit the current benelli management team in Pesaro are much more customer friendly and quality oriented than the previous owners, so if you get in early, state your case and ask nicely, you may get lucky without having a drawn out to and fro argument with the whole sales chain.

In my case a new replacement RS engine was airlifted from Pesaro to Australia in under two weeks. I dealt directly with Pesaro.

Good luck.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Anyone got a cost for the parts needed for the shaft replacement?
May be handy for people who would like to replace them themselves if it`s not been done under warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts