Benelli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if anyone knows if the TRE & RS Clutch cables are definatly the same or at least the little bracket/clamp it goes through on the clutch actuator arm end ?

Alan's come to change the clutch cable on my TRE which I had off Fraser from an RS, but he seems to think it's a little different and doesn't fit into the bracket/clamp correctly ? No stepped end to the elbow part of the outer cable so it can potentially be pulled through the bracket/clamp, if that makes sense ????

Has anyone got a photo of the cable end that fits onto the Clutch actuator arm showing the bracket/clamp too ? For a standard TRE ?

I do intend to go round his tonight to see what he means although he said he can modify the elbow end of the cable to fit ?

Now I'm more confused than I was confused before I was confused ? :D

p.s. I notice on Errol's web site there's mention of a modified Clutch actuator arm, mines an alloy one (I think) and is Not a black one as stated for the modified one, does this matter ?

Ciao

Rob

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Rob, the standard one is a silver bare alloy coloured lever, the cable bracket is black steel, mounted so the cable comes into the side of the bike at 90 degrees. The modded one is a black steel lever with a black steel cable bracket that allows the cable to pull in line with the bike, from the front.

Mine has a standard on and Fredzedex has the modded one, we thought that the modded one has a harder pull ratio than the standard when compared next each other, but is supposed to give more travel. Still no neutral engagement on either at rest.

I have a modded cable bracket as I was going to try and combine the two to see if it helps( not sure if it would work havent looked at it yet), but I can let you have it, if it sorts yours out,
Will stick some pics on later for you when I get back to the bike if it helps, Steve.

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for that info Steve, the picture below is one Fraser sent me with obviously the modified Lever Actuator (finished in Black) but I know mine is alloy in colour as is the clamp bracket, but I am fairly sure (maybe ?) my cable comes from the outside of the hose as against the inside of the hose as in this picture ?

Angus seems to think I might have a slotted sleeve missing from the clamp bracket which stops the cable from moving through the clamp bracket? If I'm making sense ?

Thats why I wanted to see what a standard TRE with an Unmodified Actuator lever looked like ! Either way, I need to have a proper look tonight in Alan's garage and check what's what ! But I wondered if the modified Actuator also has a different cable or whether you use the same one ?

many thanks,

Rob

:eek:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
5,928 Posts
Exploded View of the upgraded Clutch Cable & Retainer

I've never seen the original alloy actuator arm / retainer, but can't imagine it works much differently to the steel one I've included below. (There's only 1 way to skin a cat, isn't there? I've skun 2 of the little buggers, and both the same way.)

If your retainer has a larger slotted collar than this one, then you'll need an adapter collar.

No chance that your cable has lost the collar (that should be crimped onto the bend) is there?

Or maybe it's being fitted the wrong way round ? Of course, then it wouldn't fit in the clutch lever. The inner cable end is terminated in a sideways barrel at the lever end.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
This any help Rob?

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
You know this pulsing of the clutch lever that everyone's on about ...

I can't feel anything through mine. Should I be worried?

Al:confused:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Don't panic Al....you may just be riding your bike properly and not covering the clutch all the time....of which I am guilty, like 2 finger braking :ele: :ele: :ele:

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
Take the mittens off AL:rolling:

Once you fit those dymags the bike will float so you wont feel the road let alone a tremour in the clutch:D

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Rob, photos as promised,

First one is the modded bracket the second two are of the standard bracket and arm. Clearly its an alloy arm and the bracket is gold coloured not black as I thought. You can see that the cable comes in from the side of the bike on the outside of the coolant pipes and that the pull angle onto the arm is very poor, it doesnt make the most of your effort at the handle bar, i guess thats why they modded it. I was going to change mine but after feeling how stiff a modded on is, I think Ill leave it as is, apart from no neutral at standstill its a pleasure to use, offer still open on bkt if it helps, Steve.

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys, you're all hero's, thanks for the help and the photo's, Alan has now done his own modification and tested it for me and reckons it's fine, so I'm happy with that. One thing though, the second photo Steve457 has posted, if you look at the where the end of the actuator arm is, there's a brass headed bolt to the right of it on the engine, on mine the actuator was actually touching that, so Alan's adjusted it so it no longer touches the bolt although he had to take up more slack on the lever end of the cable, if that makes sense ? :doh:

So I'm hoping to pick the bike up friday night and give it a test over the weekend :clap:

again, thanks to you all for the help & advice :bow:

:ele:

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Something i noticed was that the black cable holding bracket is at a more parallel angle to the actuating lever of mine and fraser's compared to the pic put on by steve. plus you can definately see there isnt enough leverage on the older alloy arm. the cable definately has a small alloy insert that fraser left attached to his black bracket as it was quite fixed on . i feel as though at some point this small added reducer had become lost hence rob's problem with the cable not becoming located properly. Glad its been sorted and Fraser did make the offer of the small alloy reducing piece if required .

And there ends another problem solved by this one great forum . :)

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Wahey, glad it all sorted Rob and you can get back out on the bike. I guess it can be a bit of a pain when there are some revisions made to bikes and not to others, but at least it's resolved.

all the best, Fraser

1 - 13 of 13 Posts