Benelli Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you protect the exposed dry clutch on an 1130 tornado?

Ducati has many aftermarket aluminium cages but I cant find any for the tre.

If I end up making my own CNC part it would mean drilling and tap 3 extra holes into the casing around the clutch. The 1130 on has 4 fixings from 7 o'clock to 1. - Anyone know if this is feasible?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Take a look here......ebay item 350120727462

This would be easy for a fabricator to make and wouldn`t cost a lot either.
Definatly stronger than a carbon one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Would crash bungs save the clutch and housing from damage in a minor off anyway?
If a spill is going to cause damage to the clutch if you have crash bungs on then its gonna be that lovely wrecked gulf bodywork that would be making me sob. :bawl:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the eBay link - yes i think i'll have to make a similar item or draw it up on 3D CAD and get one machined.

I get a lot of prototypes made out of Hong Kong CNC fom Nylon and Aluminium so maybe I can slip a clutch cover in ...

I havent got the crash bungs fom ManiacMotors yet so I sont know whats protected and whats still exposed yet ...

Will keep you posted ..

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Is the clutch that vulnerable, Nigel? Crash bungs, handlebars, fixed footpegs, exhaust etc would all touch down first, protecting the clutch, wouldn't they? Mine went down big time, as you know, and the clutch cover wasn't marked.

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I'm just being over carefull ... I'll have a go at fabricating a lasercut and 8mm hightensile rod cage.

When I get the crash bungs etc on I'll laye the bike over and see ..

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
#1 cheap & simple steel clutch crach guard

Update#1 ... I have constructed a 3D CAD model for a cheap and quick 6mm steel laser cut and 8mm wire rod fabricated solution (incorporating the Benelli Lion) which I will make 2off over the next couple of weeks.
I've quickly prototyped it in wood and it will do the job if not as clean as I would like.
#2 model CNC'd in aluminium is nearly finished in 3D CAD and I will send it to a contact in Hong Kong to price up & post imageswhen I have prices.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
That looks good, Nigel. Are you happy that it will take the weight of the bike if it comes down heavily? If it deformed, and crushed onto the clutch, that would be just as bad.
You mentioned in previous posts about drilling and tapping for extra fixing points. Usually, where these are manufactured in, there would be extra metal around the fixing points. Without that, an impact could cause the engine casting to break away at that point, which could create a worse problem.

I am interested in your project, so just playing 'Devil's Advocate'; not wishing to sound negative.;)

The CNC'd ally one sounds the dog's...:D

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ian - I welcome constructive criticism...

I've looked at the engine housing and dont fancy drilling and taping the additional holes to make a full enclosure. The curvatures on the housing aslo make it difficult to get the bottom plate of the cage sat flat to distribute and load in acrash evenly.

So I'm going to have to accept that under a "heavy" crash the cage may damage the clutch and its mountings - but under lighter runs down the tarmac it will probably do the job.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Don't know about it's protective qualities Nige but that looks bloody good matey :bow:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lawrence - billet CNC aluminium one with vents and Benelli Lion logo will look the dogs but i reccon its going to cost

I've spent £30k of the companies money in the last 2-3yrs with this guy in Hong Kong so hope to get it as an X'mas present!

Will post images when CAD is finished

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Nigel , to stop deformation of the top Benelli logo plate just make it larger and dont have the wire rods curve in as that in its nature will fold them into the structure of the clutch - better to have the Lion logo plate skid along as a flat plate rather than be forced down . just my take on it ;) but looks bloody good !!!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CNC machined aluminium version - BLIG???

OK as promised here is CAD generated image of a CNC machined aluminium clutch cover.
I've sent it of to my contact in HK to get a price

1 - 14 of 14 Posts