Benelli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out today with the Benelli and with the nice weather I was riding fairly hard. On one acceleration through the gears I was in 3rd gear at full throttle with the revs increasing through 8000 rpm when the engine seemed to take off suddenly without any acceleration to the bike. The revs probably peaked somewhere slightly north of 10,000 as I saw this as I was backing down. Had this happen a few weeks ago and I chalked it up to a cold tire.

Question is, I know the bike builds power in this area, am I overpowering the clutch at full throttle?? The bike has about 10,000 miles on it and I am wondering if it is time for a new clutch...

Has anyone else seen clutch wear to the point they replaced the clutch? What were your symptoms?

Dean

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think the adjustment at the lever is the issue. The clutch adjustment is another matter. I tried to adjust this some time ago, but I could not get a wrench on the slotted nut-like thing at the back (number 1 in your link).

Any ideas???

·
5,929 Posts
As far as I can remember, I modified an open ended wrench to fit it. Just filed it down until it was the right thickness.

(Of course, if you change to hydraulic, it'll be self adjusting, & you'll never have to touch it again)

While you're there, check the state of the bearing. It's a standard ball race, NOT a thrust bearing (as it should be), so it will not last that long. I replaced mine at about 50,000 km.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is this clearance normal??
[video=youtube;bAiFkHtroS0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAiFkHtroS0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

·
5,929 Posts
Is this clearance normal??
I'll go out on a limb and say no.
There should be a couple of offset spacers on each side of the clutch basket assembly, and a bellville washer on the clutch drum that control the end float. All must be installed in a particular direction. Maybe yours aren't?
I'm prepared to be proven wrong though. I'm just guessing. It's been a long time since I've had my clutch apart.

·
1,841 Posts
Looks wrong to me also, I would remove the nut and check the belville washer is present, then remove the hub and check the larger thrust washer is fitted correctly and then remove the basket and check the slightly thinner washer is fitted correctly below the basket. The manuals show this quite clear if you have them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi.
I checked that clutch. Everything looks ok installed in a particular drection. Looks like the clearence is normal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts