Benelli Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this question has come up before,in that case,sorry! I know the old threads...

The engine on my benelli sounds "very rough",from the right side.Only 15000km since new in -03.
The clutch was taken out for inspection.Everything looks okey but the "shocksprings" (damping the pulses from crank).
They are supposed to be tight in the clutchbasket,they are NOT.
I know from the info of the previous owner that it had been recalled for something behind the right enginecover,but no notice in the servicebook.

Is there any way to recognise a bike with the -07 (or upgraded) clutch?:confused:

Has anyone manage to repair a clutch with bad shocksprings,or is a change the only way?:confused:

Thanks for answers:bow:
Joakim,Sweden

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Answers will come shortly, Joakim, as there have been threads on this subject. I will leave it to those better informed than me to tell you.

I remember you - your gallery had pics of your Tornado with that gorgeous looking R6 Motogp can on it, if I'm not mistaken?:clap: I do think you started the trend that has followed on since then!:rolling: Is it still fitted? Have you been nicked for noise on it?;)

Hope you sort your clutch out OK. I'm going to have a look at mine this week... a routine check, as I've only just bought it.

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ian!
I have been off the forum for a while but now the offseason starts here so time to look over stuff...
Acctually the original muffler is mounted,but no worry,only for the test once every two years:D .
I can assure you the r6-can (no secret anymore!?) is loud even with the db-killer in it.I also made a damping piece inside but its hard to tell the benelli from an Boeing really.

I thought Rossi and the guys started the trend and now youre telling it was me...what a day:rolling:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
colintornado has experience of your problem. If you search for 'clutch rattle' you will find some threads on the subject.

Good luck!

Cheers
Ian

·
1,841 Posts
Hi Joakim, the year the clutch was made is cast on the inside of the basket behind the clutch plates.The 03 clutch and 07 clutch from my RS look the same externally. To get to the shocksprings I had to grind the 3 rivets,I looked to see what had failed and dont think a repair is possible. The springs were not located except by the sides touching the aluminium recess,this is why the centrifugal force threw the springs out and wore the aluminium. I had metallic contamination of my oil until the clutch was replaced. The first clutch on TRE had 6mm middle gear,replacements and RS had 8mm middle gear. Errols bike has early 6mm gear basket (I believe) but the shock springs must be located or it would have worn through the basket by now (he has done a lot of miles). I believe that if you have a replacment basket earlier than 07 then it may be the same type as fitted to RS and therefore could fail. There are some pics of mine in the gallery which might help to see what I am saying. The other related thing is to check the alternator shaft and drive rubbers and the z25 gear ie not touching the case or outer gear.(due to drive dog bolt loose)
I think this is all on Errols (engenias) site
colin.

·
5,934 Posts
Colin started a thread on this at the end of Sep 08 - Clutch Autopsy
At some stage I'll describe the fault on my website, but you won't see any reference to it at present.
I can't remember anything in depth there about the alternator shaft / hot start issue either.
(I'm going to have to pull my finger out :( )
There IS reference to the fault which results in the Z25 & intermediate gear damage.

My clutch was upgraded to the 8mm intermediate gear type before I took delivery - JohnnyO was right on the ball. It's done about 64,000 km now, has about 5mm rotational movement, at the periphery, and about 1mm of movement at right angles to the bike axis. I replaced the roller bearings at about 50,000km. They only roll when the clutch is slipping, but had flattened slightly.
It is noisy, but I don't think it is any different from new. My new exhaust might well be masking this though!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm...seems hard to just change the shocksprings then.
I contacted the benelli-dealer and my bike has been recalled for clutchplates,wire and bracket for wire.The alternator for a screw and damper (inside alternator?!).

Thanks guys for help,i have to think the clutchbasket over.Maybe look what the mark says.
I think its rather expensive:rolleyes:

Thanks again!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts