Benelli Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a very technical person myself. Observed that on "key off" even with the clutch lever completeley pulled the clutch is not engaged or disengaged, so I can not move it forward or back unless I am on Neutral. Should I see a doctor? On running motor this is not the case anymore. Ideas?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I find that to be true with most bikes. There's a strong enough bond between the oily plates that they tend to stick together pretty good when the bike is turned off. Even when you disengage the clutch, the plates are still stuck together and it takes quite an effort to move the bike while in gear. The only bike I have that doesn't do this is my Ducati 748 - dry clutches don't do it because there's no oil to create that sticky bond.

I know on my bikes it doesn't do this if the engine is warmed up - the oil is then thinner and doesn't create such a strong bond between the plates. I'll bet when you come back from a ride, you can roll the bike around in gear just fine with the clutch lever pulled in, right?

I always just pop the bike into neutral if I'm trying to move it around in the garage when the engine is cold.

mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clutch

thanks mark,

i was just afraid that is a problem with the clutch. And yes is true that on hot oil it is no problem to move it with the pulled lever.

It seems that is time to change that oil too.

What do you recommend? The bike was having it's 1000 km service last year and only driven 1000 km since then.

God,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
clutch

I hit the wrong button before and I just observed I have no option to modify my posts. Whatever.

What I wanted to say was:

God, I would be lost without this forum and this is providing more to the Benelli community than the Benelli factory. Anyone at Benelli read this? Hello?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: clutch

During break-in I'd use a non-synthetic like Motul 3000 20w50. After break-in I've been using Silkolene Pro-S 10W50. Motul 5100 15W50 is also good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I just observed I have no option to modify my posts.
Make sure you're actually logged in aquilla and you should see the option to edit is there for you;)

I would be lost without this forum and this is providing more to the Benelli community than the Benelli factory.
I'm pretty sure that you're not the only one who thinks along those line too. If anyone at Benelli does read these forums (which I doubt) then they would know that there are a small number of guys here who provide more technical support and advice than they could ever hope to provide:smokin I'm hopeless with anything mechanical and I only wish I could contribute more to these forums than I do, but at the end of the day I only signed up so that I was in the company of other top lads who also owned a Benelli. I visit this forum countless times during the day and just like yourself, if it wasn't here then I would be well and truely lost:(

Al;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hi gents,

I, like Big Bad Al look at this forum on a daily basis whenever I can and find it very worthwhile. It certainly has been extremely informative and even made the 'Benelli experience' even more enjoyable.

The only slight downside is hoping some of your less than pleasant experiences mechanical & physical will not befall on me!

So far I have done 3500 kms during the first 2 months of ownership and 'touch wood' the only problem has been the coolant overflow issue after the first service.

Apart from a few days of short commuting to work, the rest has been outside Perth on country roads in superb weather (not withstanding we do need rain desperately as the start of this winter in WA has been the driest in recorded meteorological history)

Will be very pleased when the bike receives the 6033 ECU fuel mapping, as it is certainly running a bit rich at present. Today I managed 220 kms on 15 litres of fuel, which is my best consumption yet for a country 'bling'.

Also for my peace of mind the clutch basket and actuator lever 'recall' items will be most welcome.

Cheers and thanks,
Vince

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mods?

Vince, haven't you had those mods done yet? Be warned, if that clutch basket breaks now you know it has to be replaced, the damage caused will not be covered under warranty, please get it done asap, thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Vince

I concur with John there, Also I think your bike may be one of the early ones with the sand cast crankcase's, correct me if I'm wrong everyone, but sand cast crankcases are usually heavier than the die-cast ones but heaps stronger??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: mods?

The clutch basket went on mine vince but mine was covered under warranty although like Johnny 0 has said .... if it hasn't been done then look at getting it done asap. The chances are mate that it WILL let go at some point:eek

Al;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: mods?

Thanks gents - I agree wholeheartedly.
In my ignorance, I have just been exceedingly patient.
A separate e-mail has been sent to Johnny O, hoping he will be able to expedite a satisfactory resolution of the clutch & some other Benelli 'issues'.
Cheers,
Vince

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Hey Vince

From what year on did they supply the non-faulty clutch baskets?

I have a 2004 one (production year) and have problems with my clutch too (the exact problem described here above). Apparently the clutch plates "hit" the clutch housing, thereby creating metal "thingies" which stick out on the clutch housing where the clutch plates cant smoothly pass anymore (its too technical for me to explain it in correct English, sorry :rollin ), this resulting in the clutch not engaging nor disengaging completely. The dealer has "patched" this problem by smoothing it out again on the inside, and ordering a new clutch "house" under warranty. What about this actuator arm stuff? How can i check which version is on my bike? How can i easily spot the difference? Any pictures anyone?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Hey Vince

Yeah, I'm curious too. My Tre is an '05 model, built in February of 2005 I believe. Does the clutch basket issue still exist in the '05 models?

mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Clutch Actuating Arm Pic

There u go Irfuel,

The clutch actuating arm sits just in front of the front sprocket.

The original one was made of alloy and the modified one is made of steel and is black in colour

1 - 14 of 14 Posts