Benelli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:bawl: went to start nelli tonight and sounded as rough as a badgers ar##, think its only running on two, also orange light on dash is on and a pool of fuel on the garage floor, do you wise men out there think the coil has gone.
run like a dream last sat.
help!!
cheers nasty

·
5,934 Posts
:bawl: went to start nelli tonight and sounded as rough as a badgers ar##, think its only running on two, also orange light on dash is on and a pool of fuel on the garage floor, do you wise men out there think the coil has gone.
run like a dream last sat.
Normally I'd say it's one of your plugs oiled up, but the pool of fuel & ECU light tend to suggest low fuel pressure - although the ECU doesn't have a pressure sensor as far as I know, so just what the ECU is thinking would be interesting. (time to get out the trusty TuneBoy)

You need to find the source of the leak.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
coil update,

Hi, here is the latest, have removed side fairing and started bike up, still sound like a bag of shit, and the fuel is coming from the exhaust, think its mainly the middle but as they are lnked its finding any where to come out, could be a spend plug or the coil what do you think.
cheers nasty

·
5,934 Posts
and the fuel is coming from the exhaust, think its mainly the middle but as they are lnked its finding any where to come out, could be a spend plug or the coil what do you think.
Not sure about the fuel coming out the exhaust. Doesn't make sense ... heat of the other exhaust should burn it off. If it builds up, it should backfire.

However, ignoring the fuel, change all the plugs first, and see what happens.

2 of my coils have failed, & neither failed outright. Plugs do crap out completely if they are oiled up. That's happened to me more times than I care to admit. It takes me 80 minutes to do a complete change :(

A word to the wise, replace all the plugs, not just the one that's dud.

My plugs have oiled up generally due to starting the bike, running it for a few seconds, then off. Half an hour later, starting can result in an oiled plug. The moral here is, if you're going to start her up, make sure she's warm before you switch her off.

The other way of stuffing a plug is to try to start with a low battery. Churn her over more than a couple of times without catching, and you run the risk of oiling the plug.

If a new set of plugs doesn't fix her, find out which pot is dead by feeling each header pipe immediately on starting. Don't wait too long or you'll burn yourself. Swap the coil from that pot with a good one, then try again. If the fault moves with the coil, you've found the culprit.

If you can't tell which pot is failing, it could well be a fueling problem. Cross that bridge when we come to it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
coil latest

thanks for the info, have managed to get the plugs out and put new ones in, haven't tried starting yet, think i am going to replace middle coil anyway, may go the citeron route?
have noticed air box drain needs the moda also noticed that the electric connector on front of airbox is no longer connected but has a connector with a wire loop in is this ok.
cheers nasty

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Nasty, that connector at the front of the airbox was for the 'tip-over' switch. Many of these proved to be problematic so they were removed and the connector was shorted out so nothing to worry about.............unless you let her 'go down the road' :doh:

·
5,934 Posts
the electric connector on front of airbox is no longer connected but has a connector with a wire loop in is this ok.
cheers nasty
Mate, you honestly need this thing working.

Remove the 2 mounting screw & mount the tip over switch in sponge & a plastic tie wrap - just tight enough to hold it in place, but loose enough to be separated from the engine vibrations that can set it off. Then reconnect it.

I've covered it at my website. Navigate to Fuel & Ignition / EMS Sensors / Tip Over Switch

Mine arrived like yours. If I had left it that way, she wouldn't have switched herself off when I hit the roo recently. Just one thing less to worry about when you're lying in the middle of the road.

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Mate, you honestly need this thing working.

Mine arrived like yours. If I had left it that way, she wouldn't have switched herself off when I hit the roo recently.
But Errol- What's the chances of him hitting a roo. He's up norf.:rolling:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
coil udate

:D thanks for the replys , checked with russ of bennets about the coil, he has them in stock at the old price of £145 each the new pric because of the euro is £232 each, think i am going doew the citeron route £89.00 for three ok so they need a few mods but for that saving so what.
enigma (errol) :clap: says they are better than oem and he knows a think or two about the nellis
cheers
nasty

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I heard there was one bounding about Germany a while back. That's not far from "up norf" is it?
They're unpredictable buggers, so watch out.:p
The bugger will have to swim the English Channel or dodge the trains in the Channel Tunnel, then leg-it (or bounce) some 250+ mile just ta get close. :rolling:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts