Benelli Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked my bike up from TAZ at 0930 Tuesday.

First impressions - Brilliant handling bike....scrubbed tyres in to within 5mm of edges on way home.

Intake noise is awesome...hard to keep revs down, so didn't worry about it too much, especially after reading the 'running in' thread on the forum. No hard use though.

Found it has an annoying vibration/resonance/flat spot between 3500 and 4500 revs. After that, even on a steady throttle it seems to pick up it's skirt and 'p**s off'...have read a similar thread about a problem between these revs...is it something that can be cured at first service ?? (feels like either mapping or throttle body synch that is adrift to me)

Despite assurances my bike was fitted with a new battery, removed the seat to find a crappy Chinese item...will be swapping it for an Hawker Odyssey if I can find a suitable replacement.

Did almost 200 miles on the first day and drained the oil when I got home. Lots of 'sparkle' but no real metal fragments in the oil. Pouring it to waste this morning it is like no oil I have ever seen. Other than the suspended contaminants making the bulk of the oil seem black, it was actually quite clean with no apparent colour or smell to it when draining out of the funnel. Also seemed very thick once cold, almost like 90w gearbox oil...anyone know what it might be ??? am replacing it with mineral 15/50 tomorrow which I intend to leave until 1st service.

There were traces of metal 'filings' on the mag plug. Anyone else found this or am I sitting on a time bomb ??

Screen is already showing signs of the black background 'bubbling' slightly...spoils the look of the front. Has anyone had their screen changed under warranty for one that doesn't suffer this problem or do I need to hunt down an aftermarket one ??

Overall pretty pleased at the moment...I am anticipating the flat spot mentioned above is sortable otherwise I will not be happy after the 600mi service.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RS

yeah, the intake sound is awesome. i have that rough spot at that rev range too, I haved had time to work out weather it is a emission mapping problem or throttle boy sync as yet though, So i'm interested in how you go eliminating it. I have the tuneboy software so if its mapping I should be able to have it sorted.. I think the crappy battery is exactly that, mines died after a week or so, Eugenia web page list proper replacement batteries
www.mso.anu.edu.au/~ekowald/

I too found metal splinters on my sump plug, only ever thier onm the first oil change, left over from manufacture.
I too had the bubbling, in fact it was their when i uncrated the bike, its pretty slight too, eventually I will fix it or look into replacing it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oil

I would find metal during oil changes, for about the first 4 changes, on our demo bikes, I changed the oil every 400km's for the first 1600 km's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oil changes

did the same oil schedule too, sweet as now, no real metal after the first 400.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: oil changes

I have a little bubble on screen also, it is annoying, but i will find a sticker to cover it , then when i park it up i will be able to identify my tornado from all the others parked around it !
taz say the oil is mineral and they put semi syn in at 1st service the manual says fully syn 15/ 50, i think i will change to syn at about 1500 mls.
I think like others on this site that you should let an engine rev freely just dont load the motor too much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Colin

Tell Taz about your bubble, they'll get a replacement screen.

Mine started with the odd little mark and within a few weeks looked like someone had taken a lighter to the back of it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Dave

Welcome aboard sah!

Yes-had the screen prob after 4 weeks - had it exchanged under warranty with Taz.

Also got an annoying flat spot around the same area....on the overrun it seems to pop and bang around te same mark.
I asked about different mapping when I went into Taz last week, didn't get a sensible response. I asked what mapping it had...I was told 'the standard', I then asked what number the map was...I was then told because I diddn't ask for the map number specifically, they didn't know.....Jeeezzzzz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Fuel Map

hello, the map no is 6103 for the rs standard pipe i belive.it is on the ecu,on a label.
It is a bit worrying that taz are vague about this. I am starting to wonder if they have the axone diag tool ?
i have read a bit of the workshop manual ie section 10, and there are maintainance operations ! from what i can understand the stepper,controling air bypass has to be checked and can be altered, then the fuel can be adjusted rich or lean whilst analising the exhust co until it is within the quoted limits. has anyone seen them with axone ?
I will check they have one and disscuss it with them when i go up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dealers, Axone, fuel maps

Hey Guy's be patient with your dealer, the maps are not already in the Axone tool, Benelli has to email it to the importer, then they have to email it to the dealer, then they have to download it into the Axone tool.

All RS's bubble the black paint behind the screen, Benelli have been replacing them under warranty though. I'm not sure if the replacement will go through the same thing? I'd be sticking a SBK tall screen on anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Dealers, Axone, fuel maps

hello johnny o,yes i guess niquem may have been talking to the wrong man at the dealer. could you tell me where i could get a SBK tall screen from ?
also is the axone diag tool used on other bikes? ie would a dealer in japanese makes have one and be able to download software for benelli? ,if working on a benelli.:eek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
screen & Axone

Any Benelli dealer can get you a screen, some Triumphs and Aprilia's use the same Axone tool but it needs to have the Benelli software loaded into it; that costs the dealer about 350 Euro's for the software memory card.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: screen & Axone

Thanks Johnny,
My little note book is getting bigger every day! I would really like an iridium screen as i think it would go with the yellow paint,but dont expect they do one.
just fitted my tank guard from laurance looks nice !
I made myself a tool for the centre fork nut last night, when i tried it for size i found i could undo the nut with my fingers!
All i used was a 17 mm studding joining nut (about 25mm long)
then ground .5mm off each flat on one side. Use a socket or spanner on nut. I will try and buy the big nut tool and the leg top nut tool for use in the future.:lol :lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: screen & Axone

Colin,

KJM should be able to supply the double bubble screen in either clear or smoked but be warned they cost around £130

1 - 15 of 15 Posts