Benelli Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Need your help, got coolant leaking out of water pump area. I have bleed the system as per engenia's website instructions. But I'm still getting coolant dripping heavily from the water pump. From what I can tell the water pump is working and the coolant lines have no blockages or air bubbles. But the bike is overheating. Could it be a relief valve from the water pump??? It should be noted that the bike was stationary for 7 months waiting for parts.

Cheers :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not a good sign!

I bought mine 'new' last Nov 08 on the deal price, I had hoped they would have sorted these known problems before selling off the old stock. Mine didn't over heat but I had coolant down one side of the bike when i got home. Checked everything and topped up 50/50 mix it took a litre, a short ride of 10 miles it looked ok so I thought it was an air lock. NO a week later when I got her out and started up I had a fine spray onto the exhaust header pipes, the core plug had rusted through. It's now back at the dealers waiting for new core plugs to be fitted I think there are 3 of them. My bike has only 1,000 miles on the clock.
Check yours before it lets you down.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Rust...Italian...

Not a good sign!

I bought mine 'new' last Nov 08 on the deal price, I had hoped they would have sorted these known problems before selling off the old stock. Mine didn't over heat but I had coolant down one side of the bike when i got home. Checked everything and topped up 50/50 mix it took a litre, a short ride of 10 miles it looked ok so I thought it was an air lock. NO a week later when I got her out and started up I had a fine spray onto the exhaust header pipes, the core plug had rusted through. It's now back at the dealers waiting for new core plugs to be fitted I think there are 3 of them. My bike has only 1,000 miles on the clock.
They do get VERY hot.
Mine almost went off the gauge on the RTTW 09 rideout. :eek:
Had to do lots of town work at VERY low speeds.
I think you need to keep riding these bikes, I've done a 1000 miles from new in 5 weekends in rain too, and have had no problems...as yet;)
Hope your back on the road soon mate.

Italian...Rust...they've never done that :eek: :rolling: :rolling:
Just ride it as much as possible.:p

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Not a good sign!

mine's only got one plug, left hand side of engine block. it is a common problem. aparently they are not made out good material :bawl: a few of the guys have fitted copper one's 16mm. When topping up the coolant don't fill the container up it is not an expansion tank. the coolant won't go back into the system. it just blows it over the back of the engine:doh:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah same here only one core plug on the left hand side of the engine mine was just weeping a bit of coolant so I bought some new core plugs brass type 4 for a pound fitted new one and fresh coolant no probs since.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only problem is the coolant is not coming from the core plug, its dripping from the water pump. Any idea's????

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi

well after that long period of not running the engine it is often an issue that the
ceramic sealring inside the pump gets leaky.
at the backside of the pump there is a little hole, so if the seal is leaky coolant doesen´t get inside the engine to the oil, it drops out.
please take care if the pump is dripping while running you have to change the pump sealkit, if it is dripping after stop running you can try to get the engine run for about 40-50 km some times it is gettin´dry again, if not change the sealkit

ciao Alex

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thankyou Alex, I think you are right. I am loosing coolant from that hole on the backside of the pump.
It is dripping while running... so where can I get a pump seal kit from? can I use a generic one or does it have to be from benelli (which would take another 6-7 months :mad: )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts