Benelli Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hat Hi to one and all, long time since I last posted a thread.

Recently I took my Tornado to Red Dog M/C's (UK) for the 3500 mile service, on the way coolant started to pour from the from front of the bike. >D Red Dog have indentified the problem being the front core plug letting go (as reported earlier in this forum), so I recommend that you check for signs of coolant bypass around the core plug and replace it if necessary. The rear coreplug does not appear to be affected!

Also one other thing, Red Dog have now located a paint supplier for the exact colour match for the Benelli green. If interested they can be contacted on 01732 863636.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi all,
I was out enjoying the bike today and when I stopped at some traffic lights - guess what - coolant started p***ing out from under the bike. Nursed it back home and on further inspection found the front core plug to have corroded through at the bottom as previously reported as a possible problem. Is the front one 16mm the same as the rear and should I be able to get one from a good motor factors....also did you drain the coolant or just hook the old one out and replace it with the new one....any comments appreciated.... :\

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was the rear one that went on mine, so I can't comment on the size of the front one, but you should still be able to pick one up from a good motor factor whatever the size.

I drained the coolent down to below the level of the core plug then removed the corroded plug by screwing in a self taping screw then levered the core plug out.

I also smeared a little silicon sealent around the new one before inserting it and it's been fine ever since

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:eek Uh-oh, is this something I have to look forward to??? My Tre is now in the US waiting to be prepped, complete with the Evoluzione hydraulic clutch upgrade.
mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi All, Just come back from my hols8)

Corrosion seems to be the main reason for coolant leaks. It appears that the core plugs are made of crap material.

I am not sure if putting silicon on before inserting the plug is a good idea as it could promote movement under pressure, it may act as a lubricant! I also believe that the front core plug is smaller than the rear one.:hat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone looked into having plugs made of a better material? I have a friend with a CNC mill, perhaps I could do this. Of course, I don't have my bike yet, so I'd have to wait until I have it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ducboyjr check out my post in the technical section....Ducati make them out of Brass and they fit perfectly.... ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pics

Can you slam a few pic of the fitting you are talking about? I am gaving trouble picturing where it is and want to fix it now before it becomes a problem.

TY:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts