Benelli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

With my previous bikes -- the cooling fans would run even with the ignition off if the water temperature was high enough - i.e. at the end of a ride in hot weather.

I believe this is supposed to prevent something called Heat Soak, where hot areas develop in the motor once it's stopped and can cause damage ?

anyway -- the Benelli does not seem to do this.. when I stop the engine using the key -- the fans stop too -- regardless of the water temperature..

Just wondering if this is normal / expected ?

Thanks

T

·
5,934 Posts
They will stay on if the temp is high enough, but it has to be quite high. Over 100 C, I seem to remember.

Not much point in having them running though, with the engine off (water pump not running), as the fans will only be cooling the water in the radiator, not the engine. The pillion seat will be cooled off though.

Now, if you used an electric water pump, and adjusted the fan operating temp (for power off), you'd have the issue sorted. Not sure if it is an issue though.

·
1,841 Posts
Just looked and tuneboy can set down to 81 c as the lowest setting.
(that is the temp that the fan will keep running until it is cooled to with ign off)

·
224 Posts
Why not wire up a manual override switch so you can turn the fans on/off at as you wish?

I have done this on most all my bikes that are H2O cooler and equipped with cooling fans. I usually turn on the fans manually so I can keep the bike running cooler.

Most modern bikes have an auto turn on at about 103-105 degrees C....I like to turn my fans on somewher between 80-90 degrees C....

If you wire it correctly you can have your manual fan control, and still have the auto on/off switch also work. So you can manually turn the fans on/off, or just let the existing system automatically control the cooling fans.

:bow:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys,

was just curious since most of my recent bikes would leave the fans running when hot with the ignition off - and wondered if something might be wrong with my Nelli or if it was just normal !

not worried about it now ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts