Benelli Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:hiya: One and all, been off air for a while.

Just thought you might like to hear of my recent little problem (Not that one!).
My son and I when out for a spirited ride one lovely sunny evening on my Tornado LE and Tre, after riding for about 60 miles or so I had "lost" my son. I stopped and feared the worst when he came along looking white as a sheet! He was just going round a roundabout and upon opening the throttle had an almighty rear end slide which scared the sh*t out of him! On looking at the rear tyre the reason was apparent, it was covered in coolant! The rear core plug had done its thing and spewed all over the rear tyre giving him the fright of his life!

We swapped bikes and got home safely without overheating the sick Nelli, somehow the core plug had sealed itself up again! Of course my son loved it as he got to ride my precious LE!

The following evening I got to work replacing the offending item, sure enough the plug was rotten, after cleaning up the plug recess and fitting the new core plug I started her up. Bugger, water started coming out all over the place, it did not matter what I tried to do I could not seal her up! :mad: Fortunatley I had another plug (Thanks Colin!) but had a hell of a job trying to remove the offending new one as these have a thicker collar than the ones fitted from new. The last thing I wanted was for the plug to disappear into the water jacket so had to be very careful in getting it out! After much time and patience she came out, on inspection the core plug had "dished" quite badly on fitting and had bought in the sides of the plug preventing a good fit. I used another drift to fit the new plug started her up and all was well!

The reason I am writing at length on this is because I have fitted quite a few core plugs at Red Dog Motorcycles and never had a problem before. What I found I had done was used a drift with a convexed end to it, this had "dished" the core plug on fitting causing the problem.:doh: If you guys fit your own, use a drift that has a completely flat end otherwise you could have the same problem!

Your's a bit wiser!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hi Lloyd, glad your son kept it upright and thanks for the heads up..

I have one sitting in the garage if and when it is needed.. how did you remove the offending article? I'm thinking self tapper and slide hammer?

Neil

·
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could not get a drill bit to bite into the new offending core plug so I carefully tapped the top with a long nosed punch until the plug pivoted on it's axis.

Once the edge was exposed I was able to lever it out being careful not to damage the casing. Get's your attention I can tell you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts