Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other week i decided to have a good blast on the tornado. It was a day off work and it wasn't raining, great. After about three hours of riding all i could smell was hot coolant :confused: . Never mistake it cos i had a Genesis yam in the eighties and the radiator cap blew off at 80 mile an hour all down the right hand side. Anyway pulled over to expect coolant pooling under the bike,! nothing, well kept on going guage in the red once i got going ,temp came down and so on finally got back home pulled into my garage switched off the bike and i could here a hissing sound the only thing i could think off was a cracked hose. Well the followig morning i topped up the radiator and popped round to my local dealer Phantom Motorcycles. Told Gaz what had happened he walked up to the bike had a quick look , "Yeh" core plugs had it.:bawl: Wheel it in lucky enough ive got a spare.:clap: well i was chuffed to bits, got it sorted ,filled with coolant and done under warranty:bow: big thanks to Gaz at Phantom for keeping me on the road . My bike has done just under 9000 miles in 14 months has anybody else had a core plug go. Happy biking.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Hi Tony

If you have a search in the forum - I think you will find 'several' posts re core plugs - apparently it is very common with the Nelli's

When mine was in for a service at Bennetts earlier this year - Russ noticed they were leaking so replaced them (again under warranty)

I cant remember who it was - but they bought a tornado - did a track day pretty soon into the ownership and the core plug went either just as he got to the track or just after the 1st session (I think)

Its nothing to worry about- just one of the quirls owner an Italian Brand !!

·
Registered
404 Posts
It was me !!!!

As I lined up for the 2nd session of my very 1st track day at Brands the steward said the fateful words theres water under your bike mate, can you pull of to the side.

It is a really easy job to replace. 1 hour to remove the plastic and 10 minutes to do the Core Plug. Be careful apparently some nellis have two.

Bikes fine now, track day booked for 23rd, full curcuit at Silverstone. Yeh ha

:ele: :ele: :ele: :ele: :ele: :ele: :ele: :ele: :ele: :ele:

Enjoy the fun that is a Nelli. I have a Bemmer when I reall y must get somewhere reliably, except when the battery exploded on that !!!!!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Tony

If you have a search in the forum - I think you will find 'several' posts re core plugs - apparently it is very common with the Nelli's

When mine was in for a service at Bennetts earlier this year - Russ noticed they were leaking so replaced them (again under warranty)

I cant remember who it was - but they bought a tornado - did a track day pretty soon into the ownership and the core plug went either just as he got to the track or just after the 1st session (I think)

Its nothing to worry about- just one of the quirls owner an Italian Brand !!
Cheers Kurt i'll have a look back see whats what . Any kind of guess how long they last then.:confused:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Core Plugs - Question for Russ, Lawrence, Lloyd etc

Not sure what kind of expectancy you get out of them - my guess is between 18 - 30 months (ish)
Maybe Russ, Lawrence, Lloyd or one of the 'elder' members can shed a bit more light on that one for you

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Hi Tony,

The problem with the core plugs that were fitted to the early bikes was that they seemed to be made of a mild steel material which corroded in next to no time. Chances are that the replacement that you have had fitted will be made of a more corrosion resistant alloy, so it'll probably last for years!!!!

Take note of the point that Lostsoul made regarding some bikes having more than one core plug though, because if you have any more, they will likely be made of the same material as the first one that has gone.

Check out this post for more info:-
http://www.benelliforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1436&highlight=core+plugs

Laurence (an 'Elder' Member) :)

·
5,891 Posts
The replacement should be brass. The engine will be well and truly dead before it needs to be replaced again. Pity they don't fit brass from new.

·
903 Posts
[Maybe Russ, Lawrence, Lloyd or one of the 'elder' members can shed a bit more light on that one for you[/QUOTE]

Maybe elder but certainly wiser than you wipper snappers!:rolling:

As Laurence has stated, the later bikes appear to be ok, earlier ones had problems but once replace should never need doing again.

Re Engina's post, as far as I know, the only plugs I know of from UK distributors is mad of coated steel.

·
5,891 Posts
as far as I know, the only plugs I know of from UK distributors is made of coated steel.
Lloyd, it's a standard size, so it can be picked up from any automotive parts supplier for next to nothing. Best to specify brass. That's what I've got in my pocket, ready for when it starts to weep, (but after 30,000 km, it's still going strong).

·
1,841 Posts
Engenia, I have called in at several automotive part suppliers here in England, the response I got was either they only sell kits for a car engine or they dont even Know what a core plug is !!!!!!!:doh: Lloyd:clap: got me a couple of spares from Red Dog Motorcycles:ele: so at least now I will have spares taped under my seat should it fail !

·
1,228 Posts
Plug it up!

Can someone who has purchased the plug give the details of it. i.e. size, thread pattern etc. so we can buy a couple to have on hand. I think I will have mine replaced now instead of waiting till they leak and ruining a day I have to ride.

·
1,841 Posts
Johnny, the core plug is a cup type, ie it is like a little bowl. It is 16mm diameter and 6.5 mm deep. The part no for a Benelli kit is R14043131A this has two plugs. The packet has T. Otturatore anime 16 kit 2 written on it.
You should be able to order one to be sent to your house from any Benelli dealer. They are just interferance fit ie you remove the old one and tap the new one in.
:)

·
5,891 Posts
Engenia, I have called in at several automotive part suppliers here in England, the response I got was either they only sell kits for a car engine or they dont even Know what a core plug is
I'm amazed! In Oz you can rock into just about any parts store and ask for a 16mm core (Welsh) plug, and they'll hand over the part. No questions as to what car it is for.
The one I have I got for nothing! I asked my local Ducati importer to take one down to Philip Island (MotoGP I think). It was waiting for me at the stand. No money changed hands.
The Ducati P/N & other details can be found here
If you guys still have trouble finding them, perhaps I can drop into our local Repco store & pick up a bunch and send them over?

·
1,841 Posts
Sorry, I would take a pic but I am off to Nurburgring in a couple of hours and I have packed the plugs and my camera ! The plug can be seen through the gap on the left on the rear of the head, but some may have two so i am not sure where the other one is?.

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
There u go guy's, this is what they look like when they are new and you should be able to pick these up at any good motor factors.
Have a look at the link on my earlier post to see where the Core Plugs can be located on the engine block:-

And this is what a 'duff' one looks like:-
P.S. The hole in the middle was made to remove it but you can see where it has corroded through at the left hand side

·
903 Posts
Prefect

One again Laurence, perfect information with quality pictures!

Can you send me a picture of yourself so I can make it the centre piece of the shrine I have made in you honour! :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
1,228 Posts
Shrine

Don't do it Lawrence...Lloyd will be looking at your picture yelling "It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

BTW LLoyd you riding yet?

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Can you send me a picture of yourself
There u go Lloyd......
(P.S. I must try and remember to put my underpants on before my tights next time I get my picture taken :rolling: )

1 - 20 of 26 Posts