Benelli Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking...

The most annoying charter trait of our bikes is the massive engine braking and MV Agusta uses a type or idle stabiliser valve to inject air in one cylinder to reduce it.

Would it be possible to either:
a) control the one in place to serve that purpose with Tuneboy
or
b) rig up an extra one and find a way to control it
?

For that purpose alone (not to mention horrible fueling) I'd even consider replacing the original ECU for a good aftermarket one.

Anyone up for a little challenge?

·
Registered
403 Posts
aftermarket ECU

I am really interested in these aftermarket ECU, who and what is the ones, and what would those in the know recommend.

·
3,085 Posts
Nemesis

is one, a mates fitting one to his fully bombed 996, but first see if you can find someone to tune it. as for the slipper, you can alter the stack hieght to alow for easier disengagement, i would either contact Benelli for tech help via their web site or contact Surflex in Italy on their web site, they are apparently adjustable.

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
I quite like the engine braking characteristics of the Nelli and have never found that it bothers me at all. Unlike my gixxer that would have the back wheel skipping along the road ;)

Al:D

·
Registered
513 Posts
I was thinking...

The most annoying charter trait of our bikes is the massive engine braking and MV Agusta uses a type or idle stabiliser valve to inject air in one cylinder to reduce it.
MV Agusta is a four, triples and twins are torquey and that's the great attraction.You could look at your riding technique you dont need to hammer through the gears like a four you can roll the power on and off and ride the torque curve.

MMMmmmmm torque curve :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Engine braking or is that engine breaking?:D

Engine braking is a concept missing from my 1130, I presume it is the slipper clutch, not to sure if I like it, I am used to a lot of engine braking having had a v-twin before the Nelli.
I was going to start a post asking if anyone else had any opinions on the slipper clutch.
When changing up the engine revs can drop to tickover levels so you cant rely on any engine braking, not a good thing when you are braking hard for a roundabout/corner etc.
Is there a way of controling the amount of 'slip' on the clutch slipper system?
Dont know if I will ever get used to the 'feel' of the clutch.:confused:

·
Registered
159 Posts
You should never "rely" on engine braking. The reason is that it is unpredictable. Depending on where you are in the rev range the engine will "brake" at a different rate. It's fine for casual riding but if you're pushing it you should just use your brakes - they will slow you at the same rate all the time.

·
Registered
297 Posts
When changing up the engine revs can drop to tickover levels so you cant rely on any engine braking, not a good thing when you are braking hard for a roundabout/corner etc.
Hmmm? How do the revs drop to tickover levels changing up?
Why would you be changing up coming up to a roundabout or braking?
A higher gear at a lower speed reduces engine braking.

*One of the reasons I like the triple is the engine braking....its much easier to ride. Especially coming from an Sv.

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
Could it be that "horrible fuelling" thats actually causing your engine braking

As in the twist grip is acting like an on off switch and making it feel much worse. This caused by the emissions hardware on the bike leaning out the fuel so far to pass emissions tests

I found this on a vfr vtec i had and the way the vfr guys sorted it was to block a bit called the pair valve. {DO WE HAVE A PAIR VALVE ON THE BENELLI?}

Or get a powercommander or similar

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was thinking...

Would it be possible to either:
a) control the one in place to serve that purpose with Tuneboy
or
b) rig up an extra one and find a way to control it
?

For that purpose alone (not to mention horrible fueling) I'd even consider replacing the original ECU for a good aftermarket one.

Anyone up for a little challenge?
I for one don't find the engine braking of my 900cc RS equipped with Tuneboy to be annoying at all. Nor did I mind the behaviour of the 1130cc TNT I rode quite a bit as a loaner. Perhaps that's because my previous rides have been twins or singles, with and without a slipper clutch. Once I had a rear tyre slip because of it, but that was early in the season, on a cold and slippery tarmac. In certain situations the fueling makes the engine loosen up the braking effect, which is apparently a Tuneboy feature. My ride might be running ever so slightly on the richer side at the moment, though, at least on the lower rpms.

One cheap solution could be to adjust the idle level up to 1,500 rpm or thereabouts. Could help a bit, or maybe not, but that could be something to try, without having to rob a bank.
Then again, I don't think the engine braking of a Benelli triple in either size is that bad at all, compared to some other bikes with similar displacement. Adding tuneboy makes the engine to run in a slightly more sophisticated manner, I think, and you'll get more options to tweak the behaviour to be closer to your liking. I don't think installing Tuneboy will help much, if at all, in improving the fuel economy, though.

BTW, if you wish to experience a strong engine braking and a notchy throttle which makes your helmet whip back and forth, try the new KTM 990 Supermoto in its default mode, for example. After that, the Benelli feels smooth as silk. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts