Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike randomly cuts out mainly when pulling up at junctions. It starts again easily when warm but a bit of a pain when cold(it starts ok cold if I open the throttle slightly) and it cut out on a long downhill. I have fitted a new stepper, plugs, balanced throttle bodies and set tick over. Any other ideas please

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's a mapping issue .
It's well documented on here somewhere Glynn.
I'm sure it was also linked to a stepper issue . I know you've changed yours but it may need setting on a gadget

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like the mixture at tickover is automatically adjusted by the ecu as it is spot on at virtually lambda 1 or do you have to remove the lambda and set manually. Good info is hard to get and the manual is a bit pants.

·
6,025 Posts
Nell idles better a little rich, around 12:1, and is less prone to stalling as you have described.
Easy adjustment with TuneECU.

Just make sure that the stepper is moving freely first. It won't idle properly if the stepper is sticky.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a map from Alex @ maniac put it in set co as his instructions went out last night and a it was bit lumpy but didn’t stall. Early this morning though stalled about 5 or 6 times on a trip across town(obviously temperature was well down) what co readings are people using on the 899 engine.

Alex said the following when warm
idle 2 to 4% up from shut and reset TPS
idle co 1.5 to 2.5%
co correction 4% at 3000rpm

any ideas apart from take it to Bennett’s obviously?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think he meant totally shut butterflies reset TPS open 2 to 4% reset TPS again the warm up and set co to 1.5 to 2.5% then set co correction so that at 3000 rpm set co to 4%. Does that sound the right way to go about it?
On the 900 Errol suggests setting co to 3% I couldn’t get it to go that high.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Next question. Bypass screws on the 899 should they be shut or open? I’m getting differing opinions .is there a manual for the tre899k anywhere? Or is there a separate instruction for ecu setup , the 1130 manual is a bit vague on this but says shut bypass and adjust balance and open them for fine balance( so no set position). I’m also getting differing info on what co to set it to! Any comments.

·
6,025 Posts
Next question. Bypass screws on the 899 should they be shut or open? I’m getting differing opinions .is there a manual for the tre899k anywhere? Or is there a separate instruction for ecu setup , the 1130 manual is a bit vague on this but says shut bypass and adjust balance and open them for fine balance( so no set position). I’m also getting differing info on what co to set it to! Any comments.
  1. adjust butterflies so that they are all closed. Use a slip of paper to test, Heat printing paper from an EFTPOS machine works well - it's thin and sturdy. Butterflies should grip the paper equally. Check both sides.
  2. close all of the bypass valves
  3. connect vacuum gauges
  4. start the engine (stepper will be controlling the idle speed). One port will have a lower vacuum - that cylinder will be working harder. Ideally the stepper valves will deliver air equally, but the bypass valves will compensate for this as well as leaking butterflies. (If there is too much leakage the ECU won't be able to reach the target idle revs.)
  5. adjust the other two bypass valves to balance the vacuum
  6. Set the CO for the smoothest idle. If you start getting spit-back you are too lean. The book says to aim for 1,5 (13.94 AFR), but it'll run better at 3 - 3.5. Nell idles best around 4-5 (AFR=13.0-12.6)
  7. Check the balance & adjust if necessary. If you changed it, go back to 6.

There is a target range of steps you should be aiming for that the ECU expects. Use "Manual Adaptation of the Stepper" to move the step position into that range. (For the Tornado that range is 30-40)
If your idle revs are > 1400 - 1500, no amount of adjusting the idle mixture will make any difference to CO. You need to reduce the air leaking into the throttle bodies to give back control to the ECU. If all is well it will idle at the set point - 1200 rpm for the Tornado unless it's been changed.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The last time I set up my Tornado I adjusted the bypass screws to get a step count of 30-35 with the IACV adjustment at zero (i.e. right in the middle of it's adjustment range). This ended up putting the CO adjustment very close to the middle of it's range as well and made the bike idle perfectly without stalling.

Also note in step 6 of Errols post, an excessively rich mixture will also cause spitting back and stalling, something that caused me some grief in the early days of my ownership.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Must be doing something wrong but I cannot get the vacuum to balance. I set the butterflies with the paper then connected bypass stepper and vac gauge using t pieces but the bypass is not having enough effect to balance the vacuum. Do I totally shut the butterflies?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts