Benelli Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a flat yesterday...it's really bad. Front tire luckily deflated slowly. What can I do now? The D208RR are discontinued..Unless someone can source me out one..:bow:

What in the Dunlop line is its equal?

Thanks and keep an eye on your tyres

·
340 Posts
Move on with Qualifiers RR (or else I have a pair of "as new" 207 RR from the LE, they were some nice wooden tires :D ). I now have a Dragon Supercorsa SC2 on the back and a Bridgestone BT 003 on the front.:doh:

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No one wants to ship them over from the UK.

Unfortunately, I had new tyres put on recentley 3K miles (D208RR) and the front needs replacement. I don't want to mix tread design and compound mix.

So I need a D208F RR tyre......:soapbox:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with mixing tyres.... If you're riding at a level where it actually makes a difference, then you're winning races and are surrounded by women and jets....

If you cant get dunlops put something else on it :)
D207/208 are similar tyres, if you cant get those get qualifiers....
If you cant get dunlops put pirellis on it......

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Winning races!:rolleyes: Not yet...:p

I figured that. But a Dunlop rep I ran into at work mentioned that I shouldn't mix tyres regardless if I go with dunlop or not.

Plus I wanted the tyres to match..You now aesthetics and all.:D

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
No one wants to ship them over from the UK.
Do you want me to get a price for shipping one to you in the States?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with mixing tyres.... If you're riding at a level where it actually makes a difference, then you're winning races and are surrounded by women and jets....
Actually, not quite. Mixing different tyres the wrong way does actually make a difference much sooner than that. Some combinations can even be pretty dangerous, or at least a bit scary at certain situations. Besides, unless they are living in some cruiser hell with nothing but long sraight roads and endless suburb streets, most of the Benelli riders are likely to ride their bikes "enthusiastically," if not quite in Stoner style, anyway.

However, you don't need to ride fast with your knee down to experience problems with bad mixes. Cold tarmac and cold weather being one typical underpants-smearing scenario. Different tyres warm up differently, have slightly different profiles and compounds. With a less than ideal mix you are also likely to experience less than ideal handling in corners, for example, when your riding lines tend to get wider, as the bike wants to understeer. That is indeed more likely to show at track day speeds, though, and not during normal street speeds, where you are indeed not likely to experience noticeable difference. But a bad mix can be potentially dangerous even on the streets.

As a rule of thumb, and with bikes like these in question, if one insists on having a mixed pair or tyres, one should choose a softer compound steeper profile front, and harder compound at the rear. One should also choose tyres that warm up pretty much the same way, and the front should warm quicker than, or at least at the same rate as the rear one. Otherwise you are likely to do a lowsider at the first turn on your way to the main road, at least on a cold morning. Some people are using racing compound tyres for normal street riding, but that's not such a good idea, either, because many of them need plenty of warming up before they actually have that grip. Unlike the racers, most street riders aren't using tyre warmers...

My RS has only about some 6,000 km in the meter, so plenty of mileage ahead with the Dunlop 208's. I don't mind that, because I sort of like them. They are a nice compromise between superb handling and day to day usability.
However, when the time comes to replace them, I'll probably replace them with either Pirelli Supercorsa's or with Corsa 3 ones. The Supercorsa is my personal favourite for everything else but touring. I could also go for the same D208 model if I could still get a pair, or for the closest thing within the new model range.
BTW, one thing I would never do is to mix Bridgestone (front) and Pirelli Supercorsa (rear). I may feel adventurous at times, but not that adventurous, and I like my still scratchless red fairings too much...;)

So to finally answer the original question, I'd recommend the Pirelli Supercorsa, Corsa or Corsa 3 line as a good replacement for the D208. Or even the new Rosso. I haven't tried that myself yet, though. Same goes for the new Dunlop Sportmax GP-A, it would be interesting to give it a try some day. Actually, the good old Pirelli Diablo's might do nicely, too, especially for mostly town oriented riding. They warm up pretty quickly, and have a decent grip on most situations. Among those, the Corsa might be the closest thing to the 208.
The Dunlop Qualifiers might do nicely, too, but one should keep in mind that the top of the range race oriented models need some warming up before they work properly. It may be hard to remember at the beginning of a ride, at the first corner away from the garage door.

Oops, this post turned out to be another long lecture... :eek:

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
I reckon a front tyre weighs around 5.5kg and the cheapest price I got for shipping this to the States was around £70, so I guess you will be looking elsewhere DR :(

·
Registered
147 Posts
Erm ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DUNL...8248286QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Same profile, better rubber. Works as well as the 208's when hot, but keep working when cold/wet. Qualifier II's are now out and they are better again.

All the compound difference in the world cant stop a newer soft tyre from being safer than a harder old one.

From someone who has 3-5 sets of tyres a year and has done over 400 thousand miles on bikes in the last 15 years ... get the latest.

Aarron

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
So, how many k's you done on your Tornado then?
That sounded like a large gauntlet hitting the desk Errol :rolling:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sorry, offline for a while. We were putting an ST3 engine in the vyrus and things got a little stressed and busy.

As to the Benelli. Ive only put 15,000 miles on it and ive had it 5 years. Ive put 18 on the ST3 in just 2.

Pitiful, I know. However what the saying "The flame that burns twice as bright"

... and all the big milages are now over. My job moved to london, so I now sit for 1 hour 40 mins on a packed train.

Crist its dull.

Aarron

PS Phil went over to the launch of the Dunlop Qualifier II and they are a corking tyre. He also went over to the launch of the new Michelin and promply chucked a fireblade at the scenery. Read Jnr isnt a crasher, he has his dads touch and has only lowside the Vyrus once in 40 races. Dunlop 1, Michelin 0.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts