Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still can't get my TNT to run on 3! bought a new Valeo stick coil, took out the offending one, cleaned the new plugs that I'd just put in, put the new stick coil in after modifying it as the post says and ...................nothing! wouldn't fire up at all at first! then popped banged and just about started but now only seemed to be running on 1! anyway of checking these coils with a multi meter just in case the new one I bought turns out to be duff aswell!! anything else that could be stopping it running right (relays? power commander etc, etc)

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
hi steve , just a quick note . does the fuelling map match what your tnt should have(as quoted by Benelli uk Brian) and does the air filter give a greater flow rate ? and is the fuel pipe all as it should be. am i right in thinking that the stepper motor could also cause poor running plus does power commander helpline give settings for fitment to tnt. I would take each coil off and stretch slightly the spring at the bottom underneath the rubber gaiter. just to give the spark plug a better contact on the coil contact.i have a spare peugeot modified stick coil which i'll gladly give you to fit and see if it eradicates misfire by powers of elimination of old ones/new ones(can post or deliver).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi angledangle, this was Terry's old bike off here (vtxbrit) Airbox has been modified to give higher flow rate and k&n fitted, exhaust valve is disconnected, engine breather is connected to a k&n breather, did have a race can on but Terry kept this for his new bike and fitted the std can back on this bike but left the map in that was set for this thus making the bike quite jerky low down with the std can and the opened up airbox. I have reverted the map back to the map given on power commanders/ Dynojets website which states standard airbox in TNT mode, have also had the bike mapped on the dyno but this proved to be a waste of time as it was only running on 2 cylinders at the time but felt normal!!

This is the only bike I've had that has caused me any problems like this, it's spent more time in piece than it has being ridden, makes me feel like throwing in the towel!

Have done the spring thing with the coils to no avail, fuel line checks out ok, fuel pump is priming, and fuel is getting to the plugs, I did move the coil that was firing to another cylinder and this fired on the cylinder that wasn't?? very strange as the new coil doesn't seem to be firing but this is a new part! maybe I'm doing something wrong but can't think of anything! can't be a duff new coil surely?? anyway of testing them?

Cheers

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
my leads have numbers on and were positioned so that they would only reach nearest coilstick. does the engine management injection light come on the clocks. i asked an auto electrician to check one of my coilsticks previously playing up one to check but he found little difference in old to new resistance and i never got a reply from emailing pattern manufacturers website.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it may seem silly, but are you sure you dont have two leads crossed ?
Hi Colin

I did query this with the technical guy at Red dog as the cylinder seem to be numbered backward compared to a Jap bike (from the left they go 3-2-1 while sat on the bike) normal on a Jap bike number 1 would be the left cylinder when sat on the bike but they assured me this was the correct order they should be in?

Cheers

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
seem to remember that if the coil sticks do not receive resistance and do not discharge the electrical charge they can fail more so plus coils are susceptible to failing if the coil stick does not discharge. I would be tempted to buy new spark plugs and then try again. also keep coil sticks that have been found to work in their location. you sound just like how i did not that long ago but now mines sorted i'm on a crest of the wave thrashing everyone !. if you need another coil please let me know as modified/siliconed it and its ready just in case.Once bitten and bitten again i'm now prepared !!!.

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
U say that you moved a good working coil to the dead cyclinder.
Maybe there is nothing wrong with the electrical.
Is the dead cylinder spark plug wet (unburnt fuel) when you take it out. If not may be injection problem.
Also try doing a compression test, this could also cause not to run.My project bike was like that when i purchased it. ran on 4 1/2 cylinders out of 6.
Just an idea.
Paul

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem gets stranger! after stripping things for the umpteenth time, I left the coils in the position they were in when the bike would only run on the middle cylinder, cleaned up the new plugs and tried to fire it again, now it runs on the right cylinder and not the middle or left cylinder!! strangely enough the right cylinder has the new valeo coil stick in it!! so what the hell is happening to it now!

Have got 2 more new stick coils coming tomorrow and another set of new CR9E plugs, have removed the power commander to take that out of the equation, anybody think of anything else?

I have not been defeated by a bike in 25 years of riding/building them but I think this may be the staw that breaks the camels back:(

Anyone with any ideas as to what might be wrong your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

·
1,841 Posts
Steve, this sounds like a wierd problem, If poss I would do a compression test just in case. If all ok then I would check all sensor connectors especially the stepper motor one. If the stepper is not working the engine will flood easily and this may cause random cylinder not firing. I gave my mate a hand the other day when he fitted a Harris IN TECH to a gsxr1000, he had followed the instructions, but they did not mention the inlet from the stepper valve so he had left it not connected. It ran like a bag of sh.. and went down to 2 cyl and poped and banged, we looked realised then fitted stepper back in and it ran nice.
Have you moved the Throttle position sensor ? if so it must be reset.Also check the tps conector is connected soundly. Remember dont touch the throttle when ignition is on or it will flood.
I am sure you will get there in the end :ele: good luck
Colin.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Colin, lets hope so as I was supposed to be using the bike for work for the next couple of days as the Mrs needs the car!:( haven't touched the TPS just unplugged the connector when removing the power commander and re-connected the original plug.

I must admit it is getting me down a little now and does'nt do anything to instill confidence in owning an Italian bike (especially when I have an MV Brutale aswell!) and before you ask why not use the Brutale while the TNT isn't running it's because It isn't itself on the road yet! not because it doesn't run or anything like that, it's just not taxed or insured yet and at the rate the TNT is syphoning the account it won't be on the road for a while!:bawl:

Cheers

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Hi steve , sorry i've just got back from london rushed home and quickly jumped on here to see if your problem had been resolved . i think colins mentioned again stepper motor and that was my one of my initial thoughts . i cannot see any reason why it should give the symptoms as described and wondered if you had contacted a bennelli dealer (russ at bennetts to see if he could point any clues or any past history of this behaviour on other benelli engines could be worth trying). one other point is i wondered if the fuel was contaminated as if water had got into the petrol (my drain on the tank sometimes blocks and allows water to build up on the inner part and then drops into the tank. i noticed when this had happened i found my bike misfire . i think all on here are willing you on to find the solutions and enjoy it as well as making us jealous by having a brutale (i like these yum yum ).AD

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
AS you guys maybe aware Steve’s TNT was my 05 bike, I have kept in constant contact with Steve to help resolve the problem.... and hopefully today the problem has been resolved
it appears 2 stick coils failed at the same time :confused: as to why I really don’t know I have done over 12000 miles on the bike and had 1 coil fail at 3500 miles...... speaking to him today he was very happy and said the bike was running well and goes like a rocket. He replaced all 3 coils and used Renault v6 coils by modifying the plastic mounting bracket which he said took less than 5 mins each to modify, all 3 coils cost £90-00 (£30-00 each) which is 1/5 of Benelli prices.
Thanks as usual to the forum for all there advice.
Vtxbrit

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
i presume the two that failed were the two original benelli ones not changed and i'm glad that it appears to be sorted . had spare coil in case needed but glad he's got it done.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Terry for the chats on the phone apologies if it was making you a bit worried.

AD thanks for the offer of a loan of a coil but wouldn't want to damage anyone elses parts just in case it was a bad electrical problem and yes it was the original benelli items that were the culprit.

As for the fault as Terry says it appears that 2 coils had failed the only way I found this out was to go back to basics, removed the power commander, removed all 3 coils, and removed all plugs, bought 3 brand new coils from europarts (Valeo coils not the genuine peugeot/citroen/renault ones as they are a slightly different shape at the top) modified them by removing the plastic bracket (as mentioned in the other post about stick coils) once this bracket is removed carefully and gently! I sealed them where the cut was and they now look identical to the benelli original coils, fitted 3 new CR9E plugs (this is the third set now!! refitted and sealed the coils, refitted the fuel tank and all hoses (after checking all the connections where I had removed the power commander from) and then the moment of truth, hit the button and hey presto 3 cylinder chiming away :) , a bit smokey to start with as it was clearing all the stuff that was in there from not running properly:rolleyes: took a spin round the block and down the motorway to clear it out and all was well, let it cool until it was cold fired it up and rode to work on it, even took the long route home because I was enjoying it that much:D acceleration is back how it should be only thing to worry about now is keeping my license as it don't like sitting at 30mph much:rolleyes: would definately reccomend people having a couple of these valeo coil to hand especially at the princely sum of £27 + vat

As for the stepper motor, terry did mention this and I check that it was free and operated OK, if you push the plunger down gently the plunger will stay down, when you swith the ignition on the pluger will rise, no problems there then:clap:

Have to say it now feels more like the bike I was expecting:D

Cheers

Steve

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Well done for sticking with it Steve (get it? STICK...ing with it, Oh never mind!!!):rolling:

Glad you got it sorted at the end of the day. Mind you, I always thought that Terry was a bit of a crook.....................just kidding mate :D

Love the Brutale by the way, how does it compare to the TNT?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Laurence, Brutale and TNT are chalk and cheese, Brutale still a very quick bike for a 750 and really want to rev (needs that std system taking off!) but compared to the torque of the TNT it's a pussy cat!

If you like the Brutale here's the fastest thing I've built (well apart from the Hayabusa Turbo that I did!):

My Supercharged Vmax, ran it at Elvington through the flying mile at 173mph, it had 174 bhp at the rear wheel, 102 ft/lb of Torque and was an absolute animal, was also featured on Top Dog bike on Men and Motors too:D

Also built a reverse Vmax Trike that was featured in 100% Biker a few months back.

Cheers

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Very nice Brutale and V Max as well. come across a max years ago with nitrous and heavily modded and it literally was gone from the lights it was at in a split second and blew me away !!! . I'm finally riding the rc8 this weekend with a view to having and have it on good authority that i can have one by my partner but the arrival date for rc8's from my dealer is now june !. got a soft spot for Mv Brutales as i loved one i saw in Paris so may change to one of them as two sports bikes may be a bit too much but lose my £500 deposit if i cancel .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts