Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, I've installed the prototype Un-interruptible Power Supply onto my Tre. It's been waiting on the bench for months, but I've been busier than a one armed brickie in Baghdad.
So far, it's working fine with the original, very susceptible dash.

The prototype is housed in a plastic case so that I can open it up and make changes as needed. The final product will be potted, and slightly smaller still.
Both pictures show the circuit charging it's internal batteries. You can see a red LED illuminated.
In it's current incarnation, there are 3 wires that need to be spliced from the loom. You can see the additional 3 pin connectors - white with blue end seals. I may be able to fit it into the dash itself, but this was the easiest way to get something working.

·
Administrator
972 Posts
You're a lot smarter bloke than me. :clap:

Now all we need to do is package the darn thing and sell it!

·
903 Posts
Clever clog's

:p

Engina, I admire you skill but hate smart arses!:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Seriously, that's a clever bit of kit!:clap: :bow:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I am not blond (but I am going slightly grey !!) - but what does this gizmo do exactly ??

Sounds like your a NASA scientist in youyr spare time Engenia !!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
Hi Kurt,

It provides a constant power supply to the clocks which will prevent them from reseting when the voltage drops during starting.

Engenia has been working on a solution for some time now but it looks as though he's almost there.

Good work Engenia:clap:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Ah,
Thanks for (kind of) clearing that up :bow:

When you say the clocks - do you mean - the time clock or odo or trip - or all of these ???

I came to start my bike today (1st time for nearly 2 months !) and she fired after about 3 / 4 seconds of 'winding' over - but I noticed that the time on my clocks was 4 hours (exactly) out ???

Does this gizmo solve that problem - or have other guys been having major problems with the LCD dash???

·
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dash resetting fault

Kurt,
your time had probably reset to 12:00, the trip meter had reset to 00 and, if you had the lap timer running (unlikely), it would have been back to 00:00:00.

If you still have one of the original dash's (revision A in particular), you would find that it resets just about every time you start the bike. This happens because the battery is too small for the job, and when cranking the engine, the voltage drops below that needed to keep the dash electronics alive.

When I first picked up my bike, I was baffled how she knew that I had just refueled her. Then I realised that the clock was resetting as well. When I got home I called the local guru, JohnnyO, and he sent me a new dash. He let me keep the original so that I could attempt to fix it. He had a box full of them. So that's how I started on this.

Now, at version 3, the solution is at hand.

The new dash - revision D - is much better than the original, but is still susceptible. It resets on me every month or so. Some guys put their nelli's on a charger overnight to get around the problem. AussieRS is trying a starter gear ratio reduction. Someone has squeezed in a bigger battery. Others don't care. I tour on the thing, so the clock & trip meter are important to me.

I understand that Aprilias have the same problem.

One other thing, the revision A dash operates differently to revision D. When you hold the mode key down on the 'A', the mode changes before your eyes after several seconds. The 'D' changes once you release the key. If you didn't hold it down for long enough, nothing happens. Personally, I like the 'A' method better, so that's the one I'll be using from now on.

If you want to find out more, check out my website

·
3,082 Posts
hey hey

finally got replacement windscreen, but they forgot to send the reduction gears, hopefully they rock up in a coupla weeks.:doh:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just to jump in here. Yes Aprilia's have the same problem. I've had it on my Falco since 2002. Last year I had OCD Racing down here in Melbourne beef up the wiring from the battery to the starters. This increased the available juice to the starter motor as Aprilia had used under sized wiring. Because the starting system is now smoother I am not experiencing as many resets. Also someone on Aprilia Forum figured out that you could add a capacitor to dash circuit for about $2 and it would act as a temp power storage whilst the starter was turning the engine over. I've tried this mod, but I don't think it works. But I'm allowing for the fact I might have wired it wrong ;-)

ciao
Derek.

·
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
12 starts & counting.....

Hey Derek,
I tried the storage capacitor on version 1 - inside the dash. I couldn't store enough energy to hold it up.
Then I tried a SuperCap on version 2. Plenty of energy, just, couldn't get it out quick enough.
A battery was the only way to get enough energy and enough current at the same time.

I haven't tried my circuit on a Falco. A bloke at work has one, so I'll ask him if he wants to try it out. I don't know the Aprillia circuit, but would assume it works in a similar fashion - continuous power direct from the battery, and another supply from the ignition switch.
The Falco dash is not made by Facomsa by any chance?

So far so good. About a dozen starts & still holding up fine. I know one of them would have reset the dash, 'cos I saw it switch on twice. Once by the ignition switch, then again by the UPS after the voltage dropped below 7.
I'll give it a month, then release it, if all goes well.

·
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One week .... no resets.

Tax, I'm ready to leave. Just waiting for the ticket. It's in the mail?

(By the way, are your old cam sprockets adjustable, or not?)

·
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tax, there's 2 bolts holding the sprocket onto the cam. Undo them. If the sprocket is slotted, they're adjustable. If not, they're not.
There may be a pin in the sprocket to locate it on the cam shaft. Don't lose it.

·
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dash Reset Problem - no more

So far so good. About a dozen starts & still holding up fine. .... I'll give it a month, then release it, if all goes well.
Unfortunately, it failed to live up to the promise. So back to basics. I dropped the recharging idea & just used 8x AA Alkaline cells. A couple of diodes to switch the Dash supply to the highest one, and bingo. Problem fixed. Not one reset in 3 weeks. Even flattened the battery once trying to start with fouled plugs. The dash stayed up.
I put the backup battery on top of the ECU, under the seat.
If anyone wants to set it up on their's, let me know, & I'll document it on my website.
I'm thinking of just using 6 cells & adding a low battery warning LED, but for now ... IT WORKS

·
3,082 Posts
hell yeah

put it up, I'm totally sick of the reset problem, that and the battery going awol after a few starts, i had 2 bloody jump starts today, due to the bikes continued conking out while idling, and now my company suplied laptop wont let me use the tuneboy!! think I'll just buy a palm pc for bike mapping. :-(

·
Registered
147 Posts
Congrats. Checking the voltage is much better than my starter button reroute idea (less wires and less time on the small battery).

Would it work with a 9V PP3 as this is a bit less bulky than 8 AAs, or does it need to start switching as soon as it drops bellow 12V ?

Aarron

·
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The Simple UPS Solution to the Dash Reset Problem

Would it work with a 9V PP3 as this is a bit less bulky than 8 AAs, or does it need to start switching as soon as it drops bellow 12V ?
A PP3 won't last as long as AA's, and maybe not long enough - which was the problem with my NiMH prototype.
There's plenty of room under the seat, on top of the ECU, for the AA's.

:) Follow this link to the circuit:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Cool, thanks for the diagram. Even I can rig up two diodes and a battery pack.

However before I start, would a smallish lead acid be a better prospect, something like this.

If you removed the diode between the new battery and the clocks. Wouldnt the main battery power the clocks, and recharge the suplimentary battery while the generator is giving it 13V, but the one diode would stop the suplimental battery from trying to start the bike during startup.

As you can tell I am not an sparky.

Aarron

PS [edit] Just spotted this smaller one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts