Benelli Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, after much thought (as well as doing some numbers crunching) and spending this past saturday at the local Ducati/MV Agusta, as well as the nearby Moto Guzzi dealer checking out two bikes on my short list (an 08 Brutale 910 S and a leftover 07 Sport Classic 1000 S) I've decided to go with the Cafe Racer!:clap: It's what I really wanted all along, now just gotta find one at a decent price.
I previously owned a 99 Laverda Strike in California Orange along with my MZ, but messed the engine up doing a track day and ended up selling it over a year ago. Out of all the bikes out there the Cafe Racer is "the only" bike that does what the Laverda did for me...and that's just looking at it! I believe the Benelli will fill that void, and then some? :ele:

Lorin:D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well, after much thought (as well as doing some numbers crunching) and spending this past saturday at the local Ducati/MV Agusta, as well as the nearby Moto Guzzi dealer checking out two bikes on my short list (an 08 Brutale 910 S and a leftover 07 Sport Classic 1000 S) I've decided to go with the Cafe Racer!:clap: It's what I really wanted all along, now just gotta find one at a decent price.
I previously owned a 99 Laverda Strike in California Orange along with my MZ, but messed the engine up doing a track day and ended up selling it over a year ago. Out of all the bikes out there the Cafe Racer is "the only" bike that does what the Laverda did for me...and that's just looking at it! I believe the Benelli will fill that void, and then some? :ele:

Lorin:D
Buy mine so I can get the Sport Evo My dealer has!!!!..
PLEASE..
:D
Make me an offer I can't refuse..

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
At the rate I'm going, I won't be buying any Benelli:doh: People have said you buy one with your heart? I came extremely close to pulling the trigger this past saturday...I even ordered one of those service dvd's to get a jump on it....talk about being Giddy with excitement!:ele: ...but the dealer just closed when I called to get the ball rolling. By the time monday rolled around the "head" took control and now I'm back to the reality of being hundreds and hundreds of miles away from a Benelli dealer/service and pondering the concept of a new $12000 bike on payments being broke down for whatever reason and not being able to diagnose it on my own:( Bottom line is that I need the diagnostic equipment...I NEED IT ALL.... as if I were a shop....the specific service tools. And I just don't see that happening......Talk about sinking into depression:bawl: There's nothing out there at the moment that is an equal alternative . Fork me, I want one, but the head says pass:mad:

·
Registered
346 Posts
You can buy mine used for much less, then you won't have to worry about where you get warranty work done, because the warranty is up in November.. :D..
Anyway, in all seriousness, if you get an 07 you shouldn't really need a dealer too close. I would venture to say that any Triumph dealer would be willing to do valve adjustments if you provide the service manual (or you can do them yourself)..
If it helps ease your mind about buying one (even if it's not mine) know that I have put just over 6,500 miles on my bike and have had it serviced by the dealer under warranty 1 time, and that actually made me worse off.. The only reason it went in that one time was to get a better map loaded to correct the insanely rich fuel mixture. They screwed up the map and caused the "economy" mode to suck man beans and they got the "TNT" mode to work very very nicely.. for a short while. One tank of fuel later and the bike was running rich again.. So, if I just put the Motty on to begin with I would have never had a reason to bring my bike to the dealer....
I have gone on an 1100 mile trek from Memphis, TN to Paterson, NJ (practically NYC) without so much as a single hick-up from the bike that wasn't self generated. I screwed up my fuel line and cut it to fit a quick connect and didn't get it back together far enough... I fixed that issue in the gas station parking lot at 10:30pm only 250 miles into the trip and finished the other 850 miles the very next day. So, if that speaks to the quality of other 2007's out there I'd venture to say the warranty isn't a big deal anymore, so long as the bike was setup correctly from the start..
Another important fact is you an probably get Benelli America to lend you a little help in the way of getting some stuff done..
All in all I think you should go it and get a TNT/CR .. Here's a list of bikes I've owned...
SV650S
Triumph 955i Sprint RS
TL1000R
TL1000S
RSV1000R
F41000S
Victory Vegas
Harley Sportster
TNT Cafe Racer
Of all those bikes (some of them are very very nice bikes too) I feel the Cafe Racer is BY FAR the best bike I've ever owned and the only reason I'd ever ever consider selling mine is to get a Sport, just so I can have the upgraded components.. If you can get one I say get one and don't look back.. If you can get a used one for a good price that's even better, since you can probably sell it for close to what you paid...

If you decide not to get a Nelli and go with the run-of-the-mill Suhonamasaki you'll be pretty disappointed every time you see a Benelli.. which may be never since there are so few, so I guess that's not a good argument..
:D
anyway.. don't let a simple thing like "dealer network" deter you.. :D The Benelli Dealers in the US usually aren't much help anyway.. They just had a chance to make some fast cash on a unique bike, so they rolled the dice.. Once they couldn't off load inventory they never bothered to try and care..
How many dealers are on this forum? 2? maybe 3?.. they're not Benelli lovers, so they don't "KNOW" the bikes.. My dealer is going to close down too, I don't care, the only thing that bothers me is I can't drool over their Tornado 1130's anymore.. :(

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, I should just get it!! But the trap I keep falling into is searching the posts (a borderline obsession) and reading of various problems, and thinking my luck will run out and I'll end up with one with problems of some sort and not being able to diagnose, mostly the electrical type (ecu, sensors).
Just a little background on my level and amount of experience: Have tore down and repaired old ironhead sportster for grenaded cam gears, and bent valves, tore down the bike to bare frame and rebuilt at one time. Rebuild frame up Husky dirtbikes, including splitting cases and had trans gears scattered on bench, done valve checks on 95 Speed Triple, my current MZ 1000, and a 99 Laverda Strike....as well as yanked the motor out of the Laverda and split cases to replace a bad 4th gear cog (oh what fun..but I had a manual and great pictures from forum members) And as far as cars? Done everything (Mopars) short of rebuilding a rearend. Have tore apart torqueflite auto transmissions and rebuilt. And most of the specialty tools I've needed for all this were improvised by me in most cases. Also, I've seen and experienced too many instances where you think "best take it to a proffesional" and they are less skilled than yourself. Never again!:rolleyes:
While just the thought of having to consider tearing down a new bike for something coming apart is one thing and should have me running away, while it may suck big time, it's something I could handle, trying to figure out why it won't start is quite another. I could handle the Laverda with its many similar to Benelli issues, as the electricals were a little bit less complex. My MZ 1000 has been rock steady, but if I have an electrical problem I can just go and get a $40 el-cheapo scanner that will give the fault codes.
From what I've read, this is not the case with these bikes. So what would I do then? I know the dealers will tell someone everything they want to hear:rolleyes: But I know better, and have not had my concerns put to rest, yet. I can handle owning a bike like this, but I'd feel a whole lot better having a scanner.

Can't wait to get the dvd, as it'll be interesting to see things up close and will help. Actually seeing and touching one, and even riding before commiting would be nice too.:D

·
Registered
346 Posts
That's completely understandable. I'm just not aware of too many 2007's with a lot of issues.
I haven't really looked hard enough I'm sure..

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just got one about a week ago. I have all the same concerns. I did have to go with my heart though once I saw it and rode it. There does seem to be a great support group here if and when needed. I picked my 2007 sport up from JLSB8 (Joe) from here. I rode it home from Florida to New York. It never even stumbled-even sitting in close to 100 deg. stop and go traffic for about a half hour, not even close to overheating. My RZ would have emptied itself out at that point. Obviously it helps if you get it from someone or a dealer who really knows about them as Joe does. I currently have a 2002 Triumph Daytona Centennial, 84 Yamaha RZ 350, and a Suzuki DR350. All fun and kind of different. There is something really special about these bikes. I find myself detouring through the garage just to stare at it. People constantly ask about it. Most importantly it's a blast to ride, wonderful chassis, comfortable, and a great engine. I traded my friend for a spin the other day, he has a ZX10r-certainly a brilliant bike. After a half an hour or so through some great backroads I wanted my TnT back and he had a big goofy grin on his face. Go for it, you know you want to!

ps MightyMouse-what a great list of really cool bikes

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
and not being able to diagnose, mostly the electrical type (ecu, sensors).
I can handle owning a bike like this, but I'd feel a whole lot better having a scanner.

Can't wait to get the dvd, as it'll be interesting to see things up close and will help. Actually seeing and touching one, and even riding before commiting would be nice too.:D
You don't need the axione scanner (diagnostic tool) One of our other forum members ,Rionero , got hold of a Benelli diagnostic tool and made a cable that links to a laptop or "computer if you have one in the garage" It gives all the diagnostic codes and it can download a new map. ( these maps are hard to come by though) Then you could get a tuneboy (actually Tuneedit for the TNT's) and download their maps or somebody else that has similar mods to yours. ie. Mivv xcone pipe, exhaust flap remoced, air box flaps removed, and DNA filter. You could fit a wide band sensor and get the Innovate LC-1 AF ratio sensor that connects directly to the tunedit- this will allow you to data log your AF ratio with RPM and TPS (throttle position sensor). Allowing you to adjust you own fuel mixture.

Here is the link to the Walbro Diagnostics
My warranty is up in December. I have 13400 miles on it. done all the servicing myself. Never been to my dealer and he is 10 miles away.

I believe you have enough skills to take care of most issues with the bike.

Look on ebay as there is a dealer up north (New Hampshire) or there abouts, that has CR and others for good prices. I'll take a look and post if I see some thing.

Paul

·
Registered
163 Posts
there also was a dealer in Beverly, MA with a few at really good prices. I have Tuneboy for my Daytona-a great thing for tuning and diagnostics.

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
there also was a dealer in Beverly, MA with a few at really good prices. I have Tuneboy for my Daytona-a great thing for tuning and diagnostics.
J Free congrats on your TNT. You got a good buy their. Did you get some Carbon bits?

Paul

·
Registered
163 Posts
thanks Paul, I did, not sure what I'm going to use yet. Some I like, some not so much. There are a few things I might like to get.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went through the same thing when I was considering a Laverda a few years before I actually bought one (I got cold feet and bought a Speed Triple instead) But afterwards I was always regreting not getting the Laverda and always had an eye on various sites where they might be for sale. And after getting one I realized my worries were overblown, it never left me stranded. My problem was that I abused it a little too much doing track days.:doh:

It's pretty obvious where I'm headed here!:)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I went through the same thing when I was considering a Laverda a few years before I actually bought one (I got cold feet and bought a Speed Triple instead) But afterwards I was always regreting not getting the Laverda and always had an eye on various sites where they might be for sale. And after getting one I realized my worries were overblown, it never left me stranded. My problem was that I abused it a little too much doing track days.:doh:

It's pretty obvious where I'm headed here!:)
Good Man!!..
Dude, I'm telling you, just come out to Memphis and take my bike for a short ride and you'll be sold on the TNT's..
There are a few New CR's for sale, but they're all still showing the ridiculous $14999 price tags and such. You can find a better deal than that I'm sure..
I wish there was a way I could meet you 1/2 way or something, but I just don't have much time these days.. Maybe next month sometime I'll be able to take a ride to South Eastern TN and make a loop.. if that's the case you could meet me on the far south east corner of TN and take it for a short ride... I'd only ask that you leave me with the promise, in writing, of your first born son should you hurt my Nelli.. :D

No.. wait.. I just thought about what my first born son is like.. Scratch that.. If you hurt the Nelli you have to take my first born..

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd love to take you up on that offer, but I'm short of time too. I may well be putting a deposit down tomorrow, it's time to pull the trigger if we can agree on a few specifics. I'll sleep on it AGAIN! Or just think while I toss and turn:rolling:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Dealer wants me to pay extra for the z25 gear and upgraded shaft (part of some upgrade kit, so I was told), knows nothing about an upgraded starter or alternator. The price I agreed to pay was contingent on the gear and shaft at least being done. All they're going to do is loctite the nut and do two tests on how it starts (per Benelli) after hot, and then and only then would they replace them, otherwise I pay. Benelli provides a kit (again, so I'm told, but I've gotten differing info on two phone conversations with dealer and there seems to be some confusion on what's what, if there is in fact a kit....I'm now 100% skeptical) to solve a problem yet will only cover it on a case by case basis..... when new, what about down the road when my warranty is up (which being where I'm located really is worthless to begin with) and something gives then? From everything I've read here the general concensus is to replace them regardless. Can't find anything that is in line with what I'm being told by the dealer. Looks like the plug has been pulled on this particular deal. Back to square one. Anybody know of any dealers with blowout pricing on CR's or Sports in the US? Warranty is useless (in my case), and I could buy all the upgrades and even accessories and still come out better!:doh:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think the few in MA are still there, a dealer in NH had also. Check ebay-there were some listed, also check completed listings-there are some that didn't sell maybe you could do well on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts