Benelli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to everyone that has answered my questions on the forum, decided to go for it after seeing the cafe racer in the flesh! I know there is some negative vibes about the bike, but there is nothing else on the road in my opinion that does it for me like the cafe racer.It will be a future classic. I have made sure I got a optimiser battery charger in the deal! I live in Norfolk in England anyone can tell me where the best place to take my cafe racer for servicing? I have heard excellent stuff about Bennetts motorcycles in Barnsley?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
+1 for Bennnets mate. Search the forums you will not find a bad word said about them. I make a 220 mile round trip pilgremage to get my servicing done there and I know a lot of people who do the same, including some in Scotland!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
403 Posts
what the ....?

Thanks to everyone that has answered my questions on the forum, decided to go for it after seeing the cafe racer in the flesh! I know there is some negative vibes about the bike, but there is nothing else on the road in my opinion that does it for me like the cafe racer.It will be a future classic. I have made sure I got a optimiser battery charger in the deal! I live in Norfolk in England anyone can tell me where the best place to take my cafe racer for servicing? I have heard excellent stuff about Bennetts motorcycles in Barnsley?
just to help you out, inspect the compliance plate, unless you got a really fantastic deal, ensure to the ends of the earth that you got a 2009 model if at all entirely possible.( if not wait a l'ill bit until you do get a 2009 model)

Why i say this, i bought mine in 2008,april, thinking that it be a 2008 model, and paying a smidge under 2008 price, I thought it was a good deal, never checking the compliance plate, get the rego papers, and it be a 2006 model, f*ck it. they never told me and I never asked :mad:

Ride it like you stole it, remove air flaps, install full HPE system, DNA filter, and re-map it. And you'll own it for 20 years

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
just to help you out, inspect the compliance plate, unless you got a really fantastic deal, ensure to the ends of the earth that you got a 2009 model if at all entirely possible.( if not wait a l'ill bit until you do get a 2009 model)

Why i say this, i bought mine in 2008,april, thinking that it be a 2008 model, and paying a smidge under 2008 price, I thought it was a good deal, never checking the compliance plate, get the rego papers, and it be a 2006 model, f*ck it. they never told me and I never asked :mad:

Ride it like you stole it, remove air flaps, install full HPE system, DNA filter, and re-map it. And you'll own it for 20 years
Phew, for a minute there Mallard:bow: I thought you were a little "bitter" and having a rant !:doh:

:rolleyes:

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

:D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hi Mallard

It's a second hand 2006 Cafe Racer with under 1000miles for £5,999 so couldn't really turn it down as I have seen new ones advertised for over £9,000. I haven't test ridden it so I am waiting with anticipation - will I be dissapointed? Any issues I should look out for on the bike?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Get your name down for the Scottish Gathering - the father in law is riding up from Norfolk for it!

Where in Norfolk are you? - will keep an eye out on my frequent trips down your way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get your name down for the Scottish Gathering - the father in law is riding up from Norfolk for it!

Where in Norfolk are you? - will keep an eye out on my frequent trips down your way.
Hi I live about 8 miles away from Great Yarmouth - what Benelli have you got?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Rant, what the..

Hi Mallard

It's a second hand 2006 Cafe Racer with under 1000miles for £5,999 so couldn't really turn it down as I have seen new ones advertised for over £9,000. I haven't test ridden it so I am waiting with anticipation - will I be dissapointed? Any issues I should look out for on the bike?

2006. Be very cautious, may be cheap for the wrong reason.
Biggest issue: Alternator shaft, have them prove to you it is the correct one, by either documented database report or having them take the clutch cover off, ensure the alterantor shaft is the update, ( check my picture on album, make sure it has the double triangles on it).If not that will be around 400 quid to fix. updated shaft was installed in factory since aug-2006, else do a search for "TNT GAVE BIRTH" on here

Second biggest:: fuelling, put finger in the pipe and run it around ( unless they cleaned out) should show if it is rich or not, ( they generally are from factory standard, benelli released a fuel mapping upgrade for this year model in 2008) Also recommend you take it to the DYno to have A/F done ( 50 quid) that will prove it fully where your at.
FOuling plugs due to rich running at low revs has been a problem for that year model. Take headers off and look in the restrictor rings, will prove how rich it is, and if throttle bodies are running in balance.

third:Enusre bevellie washer upgrade has been done on the LHS of the alterantor shaft, members suspect that alternators are disintegrating due to bolts loosening, due to bad lock washer.

fourth: Take it for a good ride, ( before you fully pay for it, recommend the weekend) if it stalls at idle, smells like fuel, or you smell like fuel, scratch your head, and cut the deal to try and get another 1K off it, you just may need it. If the "blue, check engine injector "light comes on. Massivley re-negotiate the sale or walk away.
fifth: expect to get 8.5l/100 km fuel, no problem for a Hi-Po engine and a sunny sunday bike, may be cheaper to commute in a 7 T truck

Once all those boxes have been ticked, go home with it and Smile

To all the others, I'm getting off my box now:D

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Mine is a 2006 model, second one built for the year. No problems except for starter drags when engine gets hot and I need to start it.
My local dealer has the starter motor in stock, have not taken it in though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Biggest issue: Alternator shaft, have them prove to you it is the correct one, by either documented database report or having them take the clutch cover off, ensure the alterantor shaft is the update, ( check my picture on album, make sure it has the double triangles on it).If not that will be around 400 quid to fix. updated shaft was installed in factory since aug-2006, else do a search for "TNT GAVE BIRTH" on here

Second biggest:: fuelling, put finger in the pipe and run it around ( unless they cleaned out) should show if it is rich or not, ( they generally are from factory standard, benelli released a fuel mapping upgrade for this year model in 2008) Also recommend you take it to the DYno to have A/F done ( 50 quid) that will prove it fully where your at.
FOuling plugs due to rich running at low revs has been a problem for that year model. Take headers off and look in the restrictor rings, will prove how rich it is, and if throttle bodies are running in balance.

third:Enusre bevellie washer upgrade has been done on the LHS of the alterantor shaft, members suspect that alternators are disintegrating due to bolts loosening, due to bad lock washer.

fourth: Take it for a good ride, ( before you fully pay for it, recommend the weekend) if it stalls at idle, smells like fuel, or you smell like fuel, scratch your head, and cut the deal to try and get another 1K off it, you just may need it. If the "blue, check engine injector "light comes on. Massivley re-negotiate the sale or walk away.
fifth: expect to get 8.5l/100 km fuel, no problem for a Hi-Po engine and a sunny sunday bike, may be cheaper to commute in a 7 T truck

Hi Mallard

Thanks for the information I am buying the bike from a Honda dealer who is giving me 3 months warranty on the bike - but I will contact them regarding the information you have given me so they can check bike before they deliver it. Thanks

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hi I live about 8 miles away from Great Yarmouth - what Benelli have you got?
I've got a Tornado Tre - won't see it down your way though as I tend to drive down when I visit the in-laws as its difficult getting two dogs and the wife on the back of a bike.

Stay in either Lowestoft or Hales (nr Loddon) when I'm down there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Hi Mallard

Found out from the shop where the bike was originally purchased from and had it's first service that all modifications and recalls have been done on the bike, the guy told me the bike is superb - will wait and see

1 - 13 of 13 Posts