Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just sent a guy a deposit for a used Tornado 900. It has been custom painted to look like the Black/Silver 1130 Tornado, and is going to cost me $8500.00 to purchase. I'm very excited. I thought about it over and over and didn't want to get it because I live in Memphis, TN and there are only 20 dealers in the US, but it turns out we have a Dealer about 5 miles from where I work!!! 5 MILES!!!! .. They only carry TNT's for $13,999 (which is more than I want to spend right now). I hope to get a TNT one day though, they are so .. well.. hmmm.. anyone care to help describe the TNT for me, because it's just so different I can't put the way it looks into words..

Anyway, I'm very excited and I hope the bike is everything I expect it to be. It will be replacing my beloved 07 RSV1000R, which was stolen from me 3 weeks ago. I am still in mourning, but I believe the Nelli will help me through this difficult time in my life.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Congrats!! You'll love it!! Make sure the mods are done. I saw the bike in cycle trader. Looks good. The guy even had the frame painted red like the 1130!

·
1,231 Posts
Gratz

Gratz on your exotic purchase. If you are in the UK and will have it by the 26th of April come join us at my house for a Benelli BBQ after a car/bike show here at RAF Lakenheath!!! Yes, yes....my meat in your mouth making your tastebuds explode! What more could you ask for!!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mighty Mouse,
Good Choice! Sounds like a stunning machine and we hope you'll post some
images soon...Maybe even with 'Oil Can Harry' the cat riding pillion??

As to you having a dealer only 5 miles away: Heck! I live in the 'itty bitty' UK and can't claim that! :eek:

Best Wishes
Stephen R

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
Congrats

Nice one Mate, welcome to the club. I know you will enjoy every minute of owning a Benelli, lets have some photos ASAP. GOD BLESS AMERICA & GOD SAVE THE QUEEN :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scratch that.. Chalk one up to poor timing, but I sent the guy a deposit and asked for the deposit back about 2 hours later, he said he'd refund $350 per our agreement..
I asked for the money back because I was mistaken on his price, which was $9900, not $8500.. I can get a "new" one from a dealer for $9500, so to pay anything close to that for a used bike doesn't make sense. I told him I'm not going to send deposits anywhere once he refunds mine and I'll just want and see what happens when I can actually travel to wherever I need to go to actually buy a bike. If his sells before I can get there and buy it, then it wasn't mean to be. .. He didn't really care too much about this and doesn't want to refund the full deposit, so.. his bike is no longer an option in my opinion.. I'm going to call the dealer up and make them a fair offer and probably pick that bike up in a couple of weeks (I have to drive through the area where the dealer is). The bike at the dealer has some 830 miles or so, but the finance guy said that's just because the guys that work there keep riding it, it hasn't be titled and will come with the full warranty. It seems like a much better deal for me. They're willing to work with me more on the price because I've already bought one motorcycle from them in the past and they kind of want the bike off their floor already, since it's an 05 .. a 3 year old bike on a showroom floor I guess seems kind of odd.

So, what can you guys tell me about the bike? Are there KNOWN problems with the 2005 Tornado 900? I just need my mind set at ease, as I've heard a LOT of bad things about these bikes, people saying they're just too unreliable and a huge headache. I know the earlier models, 2004 and below, they were having problems with timing chains breaking, but that doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.. Any good info would be appreciated. ..
Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I bought a 2005 Tornado when it was 6 months old with 1200mls on the clocks - two and a half years later there is about 7000mls on the clock - it has always started 1st time, never broke down on me.

The only problem I had was a gearbox issue with problems downshifting - Benelli replaced the gearbox after 3 attempts of the dealer trying to fix it.

I now have found a great dealership :bow: who checked it over fully for all known issues and mods when it went in for service last year (and sorted a couple out too F.O.C. under warranty) - and that is the key thing, you need a dealer that has good Benelli knowledge and good customer service. If thats sorted then the bike should be sorted too :D

Go for it - and have fun and enjoy :ele:

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
I have a 2005 as well, bought it new in October 2005, 7800 miles on it now with no problems other than the well-known clock resetting. That is 95% solved by keeping the bike on a Battery Tender whenever I'm not riding it. Mind you, I spent about 12 months of that time unable to ride (broken leg); otherwise it would probably have well over 12000 miles on it!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to hear..
So, what do you make of this guy not refunding my whole deposit? I could understand if I waited a day or two, but I waited about 3 hours. He kept the $150.00 from the $500.00 deposit, which tells me a great deal of the character of the man I almost bought a bike from. It really makes me VERY glad I didn't buy his bike now. I will do my best to get that new one, and if I don't, there will be more for sale, so I can wait. :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, so I'm going to get a "new/demo" Tornado. It's a 2005 900 and has about 870 miles on it, but will have the full warranty. I plan on picking it up from the dealer and riding it about 450 miles or so. Does this sound like a bad idea to anyone, or should the Benelli make it all the way trouble free? I've been noticing most of the bikes with "major" issues seem to be 2004 and below. Are the 2005s less prone to having issues that will stop you dead in your tracks on a long ride? I know they have the clock reset issue, but that's not a show stopper, just an annoyance, and I'll have mine on a battery tender at the end of each day..
Any info would be appreciated, as I'm afraid of breaking down in the middle of PA or something.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi MightyMouse,

All the 900 Tornado's were made during 2003/2004. The so called 2005 model that you are considering will also have been made during this time. If the original dealer was on the ball, they should have carried out the known upgrades prior to it being sold which should help the reliability issue but you will need to get them to confirm that the various modifications have in actual fact been done.

The UK dealers have carried out all the known required mods since 2005 which is why they don't have the same reputation as the earlier bikes.

I guess you will always have the warranty to fall back on but that's not going to be much help if it packs in when you are half way between the dealer and your home.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, this dealer bought the bike from another dealer (which was probably a benelli dealer at one time), but they have been quite unsuccessful at selling it I gather, and just want it gone.... That being said.. I'm guessing NO, they haven't done the work..
That's just my guess..

·
1,841 Posts
I might be wrong, but i thought the US versions were made in 2005 ? I thought that was identified by the US vin number ? ie 10th digit.
Any way Mightymouse,check the vin and you will know the year and if a US model.
PS are you in US ?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I might be wrong, but i thought the US versions were made in 2005 ? I thought that was identified by the US vin number ? ie 10th digit.
PS are you in US ?
Yep, I left a Voice mail for the dealer to send me the VIN. I had the same idea.. Thanks though.. Much apreciated!

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
PS are you in US ?
Mine is a US 2005 model and it was manufactured in March 2005.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, so I saw the post that shows how to figure out what your VIN means several times before, but now that I have the actual VIN I can't find the post. DOH.
Can anyone help me out a little? Thanks.

·
1,841 Posts
I copied this off the ever usefull Engenias site!:bow:
Vehicle Identification Number
(12 July 2006)

The Vehicle Identification Information can be found ...
1) frame number: on the steering casing, near and under the right clip-on
2) engine number: on the lower crankcase
3) homologation data: on the frame, again, on the same side as the frame number, on the steering down tube.

This is how you read a VIN - just in case you were desperate to know.
The example is my Tre - ZBNTB00003P100922

Character Description Example Explanation
1,2 Country Code ZB Italy
2,3 Manufacturer BN Benelli
4-8 Model TB000 Tornado
9 check digit 0 Not just any sequence of numbers will work!
10 Assembly Year 3 2003
11 Assembly Plant P Pesaro
12-17 Serial Number 100922 Frame Number

1 - 20 of 35 Posts