Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally fitted new fuel hose, bolted everything together and after many attempts treK fired up, all seemed ok but idn't like idling. I thought it may just need a blast so i tried first test ride today and made it about a mile before it totally shut down and stranded me.
So the signs are, fuel pump primes but also makes a high pitched noise which never did before.
Sometimes fires up but dies soon after, doesn't pick up when given gas , but does sometimes then dies
When i rode it up the road it ran rough as F. before giving up
I have about 7 litres of fuel in ( but it reads full) should i put more in?
I can't think for the life of me what i've done wrong, if i've dislodged or upset something or where do i go from here . My honda would give you a fault code to point you in the right direction, Does the Benelli do this at all, i thought most modern bikes did.
After a lot of bloody work , dismantling and reassembling parts i'm at my wits end and the end of my mechanical capabilities i think. Where do i go from here, to a Benelli garage? All i wanted was a new set of plugs ,got a broken bike in return.

·
Super Moderator
7,814 Posts
Wouldn't think more fuel will help unless the 7 liters is really old.
When it first fires up check the temp of the 3 downpipes, are they the same or is one cooler than the other two? If so, I would suspect either a duff plug or coil stick on the cooler cylinder. If they are all about the same temp, then I would suspect the stepper motor is possibly stuck?

Fault codes can be read and reset with TuneECU software

Reactions: Rick67

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I felt like giving up today, I'll start those checks in a couple of days when I calm down, Thanks for your help again Laurence. Do I need some sort of hand held code reader to plug in to the 6 pin

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Hi , My first guess is its not getting enough air to idle or start . Possibly due to a sticky stepper motor .
if it was my bike I’d add A little more to the tick-over to let more air in to help it start for now . If not get your tools out .
it is also possible that you may have some debris in an injector . As Lawrence has said check heat in all down pipes is same.. wet plug ,dodgy coil or injector fault maybe .. highly unlikely if it ran well before the fuel hose issue .
I’d undo the tank flip it round on seat frame air box off plugs out and check if all three are spraying fuel into intakes as you crank it over , this will show you if the pump or injectors are working ..
Wish I lived nearby to help !

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I never thought of keeping the fuel tank connected while checking it, that makes it easier. How do you add tickover, is it on the cables. Thanks for your input.
On my trek I’ve got a short steel cable adjuster which is located above the radiator clutch lever side near the frame above engine . I’m assuming yours may be there too .. reason I’m saying to add tick-over is I had this sort of issue when i first got my bike .. the stepper motor wasn’t working at its best and kept flooding the engine when cold

·
Registered
890 Posts
You said the fuel pump is louder are you sure it is good? How easy is it to check fuel pressure? Tuneecu is a useful tool but if you aren’t getting an error it might not help(but could still give you a clue and is handy for tps reset co etc)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Noise from the pump ? are you sure the fuel pipe is not trapped under the tank .
Think back , what have you changed since you buggered the pipe. From the thread , you wanted to change the plugs, but broke the fuel line getting the tank off. so apart from plugs, fuel line, coil sticks or installation of the tank, nothing has changed. Mapping and tick over is the same as it was before, so why wold it need a reset ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello. I'm getting tuneecu together as we speak, it's all alien tec to me so it will be a learning curve.
There's now a whistling which accompanies the pump priming noise, then stops at the same time. I'm going to take it apart and retrace my steps from the plugs back, the pump is one of the things I'll be checking although I don't want to dismantle it.
I don't want to reset anything with tuneecu, just use it as a fault finder

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Hi tune ecu won’t find a fault if the fault light isn’t on the dash ..
I would take the tank off and flip it round to check pipe isn’t kinked and the air box too . To see if injectors are spraying fuel .
none of this will upset anything on the bike 👍.
Rick

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
OK I'll do that next, what is tuneecu good for
Hi it’s very good at letting you tune the mapping and adjusting the co2 and o2 values , resetting the throttle position sensor, Adjusting the rev limit , fan temp cut in . Checking the stepper motor base position in each map , reading the injector values and ignition timing positions ect .. also for uploading and downloading new fuel and ignition maps. Possibly even a few more things I’ve forgotten about ..
have a look on YouTube and you’ll get the feel of what it is all about :) .
Hope you find the cause of the noise in the fuel pump and why she’s not running properly after the plug and fuel pipe change

·
Super Moderator
7,814 Posts
Just a thought, when you replaced the plugs did you ensure the new plugs had the bullet connectors on the threaded ends?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
clocks.mp4
Don't know if you can see this, the red light flashes and on the display a spanner and a fuel garage flash faintly. It starts but not long before it cuts out, if you try to rev it, it dies, if you build up slow it even revs high. Excuse my heavy breathing, I'd just moved something heavy

1 - 20 of 104 Posts