Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally fitted new fuel hose, bolted everything together and after many attempts treK fired up, all seemed ok but idn't like idling. I thought it may just need a blast so i tried first test ride today and made it about a mile before it totally shut down and stranded me.
So the signs are, fuel pump primes but also makes a high pitched noise which never did before.
Sometimes fires up but dies soon after, doesn't pick up when given gas , but does sometimes then dies
When i rode it up the road it ran rough as F. before giving up
I have about 7 litres of fuel in ( but it reads full) should i put more in?
I can't think for the life of me what i've done wrong, if i've dislodged or upset something or where do i go from here . My honda would give you a fault code to point you in the right direction, Does the Benelli do this at all, i thought most modern bikes did.
After a lot of bloody work , dismantling and reassembling parts i'm at my wits end and the end of my mechanical capabilities i think. Where do i go from here, to a Benelli garage? All i wanted was a new set of plugs ,got a broken bike in return.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I felt like giving up today, I'll start those checks in a couple of days when I calm down, Thanks for your help again Laurence. Do I need some sort of hand held code reader to plug in to the 6 pin

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never thought of keeping the fuel tank connected while checking it, that makes it easier. How do you add tickover, is it on the cables. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello. I'm getting tuneecu together as we speak, it's all alien tec to me so it will be a learning curve.
There's now a whistling which accompanies the pump priming noise, then stops at the same time. I'm going to take it apart and retrace my steps from the plugs back, the pump is one of the things I'll be checking although I don't want to dismantle it.
I don't want to reset anything with tuneecu, just use it as a fault finder

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've already had that dreaded notion,I don't think I did as there were none on the old ones, not that it ever ran smoothly before.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
With the ignition on but the engine not running should the red light flash on and off, I've forgotten now if it did before

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
clocks.mp4
Don't know if you can see this, the red light flashes and on the display a spanner and a fuel garage flash faintly. It starts but not long before it cuts out, if you try to rev it, it dies, if you build up slow it even revs high. Excuse my heavy breathing, I'd just moved something heavy

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I know and I really appreciate the help. It's probably something I've damaged or moved/trapped /squashed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
He's already replaced the fuel hose with a new OEM one that I supplied. Unless the new one has also been kinked whilst being fitted but I think that would be unlikely. Go figure.
Lol, that's why I kept quite, i didn't want to start something.
Really, I had a mechanic mate, albeit motorcar, help me with the hose each time. At 50 a pop and with brittle plastic fitting we handled it like dynamite.
All ideas and noises point to the fuel pump. Perhaps I should have rebuilt it while it was on the bench.
Now it looks like I can replace pump and filter for aftermarket, is this a good idea. Or there's a complete used tornado 900 pump on ebay, will the base fit the trek?.
I'm concreting today so I'll get my head round it in the next couple of days and do some tests.
Thanks again for all the help and info. Maybe one day I can pass on this wisdom

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Erm, hello

Baldwin also does a fuel filter that is a slightly larger size but it will still fit. I have a new spare so I'll send it to you today. No charge. We need to get this bike going.
This is too much. My bike has become a community project 😂. I'll try and get hold of my buddy to lift the tank off tomorrow. Just ordered the appropriate lead and downloaded tuneecu which may help in the future.
Many Thanks Marco

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Okay, so I'm back to stripped down stage, pumps out, I've put 12v to it and it's spinning like a top. I'm going to change the filter while I'm here and check for any blocking, the pressure I can't be sure of.
I have a stepper motor that makes that little drumming noise on start up, but it doesn't move (green top) and I don't know if it's meant to.
While I'm here I'm going back to the plus, check gaps and nipples.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
The stepper motor only moves a small amount. It should be slightly open(down) and moves up and down to control tickover. On startup it moves up until it stops and keeps trying for a shot while and then it should move back down slightly.
Sorry I mean when I turn on ignition, I can hear it clicking for a couple of seconds but it doesn't move at all, I can push it down, then when I turn the key it goes back up to original position

1 - 20 of 42 Posts