Benelli Forum banner
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Aye that’s just about right .. however my stepper motor hardly moves at all when key is on or off . Just feels like it vibrates up at the top .
I’ve never really bothered to check it after it fires up . Starts off about 2k revs then dies down to about 1350 revs when warm . It only bypasses a little air into the chamber at startup. After that when your on the gas rolling down the road it’s irrelevant mostly what it’s doing. Although I think it can help to lean or richen the mixture at pace .
OK mine is doing that too, just vibrating. It isn't stuck, but I'm not sure if the motor is pulling it down

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
My advice is , check all three plugs spark and all three injectors spray then put it all back together as you’ve now you’ve checked everything under the hood so to speak . As it did run once before kind of .. …
I’m almost certain it’s just a cold start map/air issue or the TPS needs resetting . These can be adjusted in the tune ecu software.
if you do attempt a start please try opening the throttle slightly whilst cranking over you may find the bike will start better , if it does hold it open a fraction until the engine warms up .
Or find the tick over adjuster and do it that way .

Edit … have you cleaned the crank sensor connector? If so carry on

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I'm just waiting for an adaptor in the post, I can then run tuneecu on it, i don't know what I'm doing but I'll post the results. I've ordered parts for a dry break fuel line so I can reconnect the fuel tank easier on my own which should speed things up testing wise.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Can i run the tuneecu without fuel tank/airbox or should I put it all back together.
Hmm .. good question . If you just want to reset the tps or load/ read maps I can’t see any reason why not .
But you will get fault code on dash as the pump obviously won’t be able to prime the injectors. That will reset itself when everything is back together and up and running.
Bear in mind that these bikes are pretty basic and if it runs well with a code light showing it won’t matter .
but you can clear read /codes in tuneEcu software.

·
6,010 Posts
let me get this straight, ith stepper all reassembled and connected , at rest key off all off the piston should rest at the top of it's stroke.If you turn ign on and run button (but not hit the starter) the piston should recoil a little to let through some air ? when you turn off it will go back to rest at the top of it's stroke
Here's a video of what should happen when the ignition is turned ON & then OFF - for the Tornado:
  • OFF: the piston should rest partially open
  • ON: the piston moves further to the initial idle position
  • OFF: the piston fully closes, and the ECU makes sure it IS fully closed by over stepping (you can hear the clicks), then it moves back to the partially open rest position.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Here's a video of what should happen when the ignition is turned ON & then OFF - for the Tornado:
  • OFF: the piston should rest partially open
  • ON: the piston moves further to the initial idle position
  • OFF: the piston fully closes, and the ECU makes sure it IS fully closed by over stepping (you can hear the clicks), then it moves back to the partially open rest position.
I see, well mine overstep but does not go back down at all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Right. All checked, cleaned, remounted, motor spins but no life so it's gotten worse.
I've managed to get tuneecu running but it hasn't picked up any errors.
I couldn't smell any fuel so in a moment of old school craziness I poured a little fuel into the throttle bodies, thumbed the button and it momentarily ran.
OK so fuel pump is in bits on my bench, I'm going to use a rebuild kit with new hoses and work my way forward to the injectors.
I was hoping to find a split pipe on the fuel pump but looks fine although my pressure test(thumb over end and blow) may not equal 40psi
I've seen the stepper move so my suspicion is on low fuel pressure, is it worth trying a different relay for the pump?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Question…
Did you put the tank with fuel in it on a bench and attach 12 volt to it with the fuel hose in place but not connected to the injector rail ? .. that way you would hear and see the fuel pump working

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Question…
Did you put the tank with fuel in it on a bench and attach 12 volt to it with the fuel hose in place but not connected to the injector rail ? .. that way you would hear and see the fuel pump working
No, only tried the pump outside the tank, the pump spins well, i will try that next as soon as its back together.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
On tuneecu I got this.
Colorfulness Rectangle Slope Font Screenshot

Font Screenshot Electric blue Auto part Technology

Font Screenshot Electric blue Electronic device Operating system

Font Electric blue Technology Screenshot Auto part

Sorry I must have unplugged it, i can't see the values on the sensors but they all looked equal, I'll get them up tomorrow. As I said I'm completely new at this but one thing struck me as odd, even when connected it shows a blank map, is this normal.
I managed to download a couple of maps from tuneecu, here's one. Should I try and *give " this to my bike?
Colorfulness Purple Rectangle Font Magenta

81 - 100 of 104 Posts