Benelli Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
DNA update

Apologies if this news appears elsewhere but the DNA filters are now on ebay at a buy it now price of £49 postage is £4.90

It is a very comprehensive listing with lots of detail and I recommend it for viewing

They do a bulk order deal - buy 10 get one free This would save 10% and I guess a bulk shipment would also save some of the postage but then they would need to be posted in the UK by whoever ordered them so the most you'd save is about a fiver

Looks good to me but on this basis a bulk buy appears to be borderline in the worthwhile department.

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
263 Posts
a note of caution

Following on from the post about service centre in Hants/Dorset

I spoke to Mike at Moto Corse about DNA filters. Fair enough he said but the filters are already foam and washable so why bother?

I would be interested to see how people get on, because my bike went very well after my existing filter was merely washed an re-oiled at the last service.

He added that the reason K&N don't make a filter is probably because it isn't usually their policy to provide after market filters where discernable gains are not forseen. His words not mine.

Certainly the DNA item looks whizzy, but is it £50 well spent? - I look forward to someone telling me before I splash out.

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
The standard Benelli foam filter is definitely less efficient………………..
1) it lets dirt through this is mainly due to the ill fitting frames that are suppose to hold it in position. :mad:
2) the extra resistance due to its area and the fact that it’s only about 6mm thick and is not pleated. :mad:

Decent competition foam filters are thicker and often laminated (with different % of free area materials) this is to reduce resistance through the filter for efficiency.
Now a pleated filter (like DNA and k&n) have a proper rubber frame with a gasket to ensure a good seal to the airbox, and due to the pleats have a much greater area thus reducing resistance. :)
Also when a thin foam filter gets dirty the resistance increases dramatically (the more resistance the harder the engine has to work to gulp in air, thus reducing power)
So pleated filters which give much greater filter area will create less resistance (clean or dirty) motocross bikes often use foam purely for convenience and space, in my opinion a pleated filter is definitely the way to go.

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
I have got an account with dynojet who can supply the DNA filters for the benelli for £56-28 less 20%....... plus the p&p to your home, if anyone is intrested please let me know.
Terry

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Terry,

Will you not have to add VAT onto the Dynojet price? If so, you'd be better off buying them from Ebay. (ie under £55 delivered)

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why didn't you go to Motovation USA John?

If you are stuck, I can usually get my hands on these for £50 plus postage.

·
442 Posts
I'm just about ready to do the 21k service,and with that i need a new air filter.should i get a DNA filter or just stick with the original foam one.
i haven't done all the mods with the air box flaps and etc.. and my Nelli runs well like it is so, i don't really want to do the mods.but would it be better if i stick a DNA filter in her.
could any body help me here.thanks...:D

madwog
(20121k).

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
Look at the filter box after the filter (and the trumpets) probably full of grit, dust wasps etc you will then realise why a DNA filter is a must
vtxbrit

·
5,886 Posts
The OEM filter in my Tornado fits perfectly. Clean as a whistle on the downstream side. I do clean it (nearly) every time I take the tank off though, which is probably every 2,500km.

That said, I have a DNA filter on it's way from Motovation, purely because it has a higher surface area than the OEM, which means it can go longer between cleaning, and the engine breathes easier.

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
I'm just about ready to do the 21k service,and with that i need a new air filter.
madwog
(20121k).
Do Benelli suggest changing the filter at or close to this milage? It is a reusable washable unit. If it gets damaged during cleaning or by some other means you would need to replace it.
Otherwise remove clean and wash as per Mikes TNT service video.
I think a remap might be in order if the DNA filter is installed. more airflow = leaner mixture throughout the rev range. Although nellie does run rich.

Paul

·
Registered
73 Posts
Steve, got your pm. Yes Jetsport supplied the DNA filter and I fitted it. No problems with the tuning as I already had the latest map and CO and TPS done by Clayton when I fitted the Termi pipe.
Cheers Mike.

·
442 Posts
Yes i got the remap done as well so it should be all good.
thanks to you all for your wisdom:bow: :clap: :bow:makes my decision easy
i think i will try the DNA.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts