Benelli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my fans is hard to turn, I shoved a thin screwdriver up the rear to spin the fans round, ones as normal the others quite tight. I had the RS blow 2 15A fuses today and had a major overheat in traffic.. I guess from the lack of one fan turning it overheat and blows the fuse, Has anyone ever taken out a fan? Is it a simple matter of removing the rear cowling?
I'm hoping something is just stuck in the fan and is jamming it up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
take the seat cowl off - then there are about 6/8 posi-drive screws which hold the fan unit onto the rest of the under-tail plastics -- plus there are two allen bolts going thru the top of the subframe into the fan unit (allen bolts have big rubber bits around them)..

once you have that off - I think you can individually remove each fan from the plastic housing..

HTH

T

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
If i have to spring for a new fan I'm selling it,
Hey Nathen, you can't do that!!! Your one of the 'die hards' We need to stick together through thick and thin matey..........unless you're thinking of trading it in for a new one :rolling:

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Saw a pearl white TnT Evo

that was bloody tempting!!, whack on some CR clips and gold body work and viola, ;
TnT Espresso I reckon :D

Nah, who am i kidding, I dont think I'll ever sell it, I dont think I'd ever be able to buy one again as the are only 8 in Oz, and importing bikes privately into oz is practically impossible if you want one thats road registable.
Besides, apart from the alloy hanger your sourcing from me its almost finished!!
(may go remus stubby in the future)

I hope its just crap blocking it though. the fans are made by "SPAL", a company in the US, google em. If I have to buy a new one from Benelli i might buy 2 yellow ones, for a more in your face appearance :clap: .

i was gonna go riding with Vincenzo on his MV 312 this sunday but ...:bawl:

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
found problem

Anyone every heard of a fan going?
Pulled it apart, took about 30 minutes, the fans really quite tight at one spot, no wonder the 15A fuse went, sparay hallf a can of lube in there and etc, no improvement, either some shit got in there of a bearings gone. as with most things these days its a sealed unit, cant even take the fan blade moulding off :doh: , so I'll have to buy another one, most likely 2 in case the other one goes.
Has anyone heard of a fan going??

I'll copy down the SPAL part number for errol :)
I hate to think how much a replacements gonna cost ! :mad:

·
5,929 Posts
:bow: picked it:bow: good or what:)

Mate, fan bearings have been known to fail, no matter what they're bolted to.
Send it east, if you like. I'll see if I can resurrect it for you.

SPAL managed to put it together, I'm sure there's a way of pulling it apart. If we're lucky, it'll got back together a second time. ;)

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Nathan these sealed fans do have a tendency of seizing now and again, we use several different types in the Xerox printers and they do seize up and cause high current drain. I have managed to strip some and re-lube the bush or bearing. I have even submerged the whole fan in my ultra sonic cleaner and then sprayed it with WD40 and let dry in the sun - not always successful though. But hey if it's broke you can't break it more.

Paul

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool

I'll either strip it or send it to errol, Laurence do you have a source for a new one?
i was going to sdend a email to SPAL italy & US

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
I don't see that fan number listed anywhere on the Spal site Nathen but they do have a 5" fan that looks pretty similar. See this previous post

However, looking at the prices on their US web site you might be as well ordering them from your local official Benelli dealer:-

Part Number for the Yellow fans for the TRE = R21023461A

Part Number for the Red fans for the RS = R1804840070A0

Price shoud be around £60 a piece

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
fan

from what I can gather, subject to confirmation from SPAL, is that the fan may also go under the product code # 30103013, or VA31 - A101 - 46S.

also see here http://www.spalusa.com/fans/automated/tech_sheets/3013-3011.pdf
&
http://www.spalusa.com/fans/automated/motorcycleatv_52_paddle.html

So apart from Benelli's being yellow or red its a part that may be fitted to quite a few other italian bikes.
I've contacted SPAL Italy, USA and China for confirmation. Probably good to find out what model the TnT fans are.
More coming later

1 - 11 of 11 Posts