Benelli Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed plugs and ignition packs..bitch job trying to get the 3 3mm jubilee clips off the trumpets so the plan is to get some after market 60mm trumpet type from fleabay but that will then negate the various sensors.. will it cause a problem if I just remove the sensor from the air box and clip it to the frame?

·
5,934 Posts
That sensor is air intake temperature, so provided that you put it a shaded place that collects incoming air you'll be fine. It should never have been put in the air box, especially close to #3, as it detects exhaust heat when stationary. The ECU leans out the mixture to "compensate" for the thinner air and makes it idle rough.
I moved mine to the LH air intake, but others have clipped it to the front frame.

If you are entertaining getting rid of the air box - don't.

Those screws are a bitch to get at, at first, but after a while you learn how to find them by feel. Some have made special long screws that extend far enough back to be able to see.
I did reposition one of them to be out of the way of the sump breather, to make access easier

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sensor is air intake temperature, so provided that you put it a shaded place that collects incoming air you'll be fine. It should never have been put in the air box, especially close to #3, as it detects exhaust heat when stationary. The ECU leans out the mixture to "compensate" for the thinner air and makes it idle rough.
I moved mine to the LH air intake, but others have clipped it to the front frame.

If you are entertaining getting rid of the air box - don't.

Those screws are a bitch to get at, at first, but after a while you learn how to find them by feel. Some have made special long screws that extend far enough back to be able to see.
I did reposition one of them to be out of the way of the sump breather, to make access easier
Hi I have moved the air temp sensor and the breather pipe and cut a bit of foam to act as a filter for the sensor at the back with the 3 pipes coming from underneath oit. You say dont get rid of the air box ..any reason ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi I have moved the air temp sensor and the breather pipe and cut a bit of foam to act as a filter for the sensor at the back with the 3 pipes coming from underneath oit. You say dont get rid of the air box ..any reason ?
Sorry I didnt read your post on the world wide forum.... Not worried about ram air I do not ride that fast... also acoustics with the airbox off is not a lot different from on so I will live with the anomalies. it was miss firing like a 1 lunged heavy smoker so now I have put the new Citroen ignition coil packs and iridium plugs as you suggested a few months back it does run sweet thanks again for all your advice regards neil

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'd keep that airbox on, for only 1 reason:
Whoever owned mine before me set the valve clearences at absolute 0. And she ran like a twat but did run.
Enroute to getting her shimmed correctly the engine backfired through the throttle bodies and set the, unknown to me, fuel soaked foam air filter alight.
If it hadn't have been for the air box I would have had a very toasted set of legs face, arms, meat n veg and not to mention a destroyed bike.
Just my 20p worth

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

·
5,934 Posts
Not worried about ram air I do not ride that fast... also acoustics with the airbox off is not a lot different from on so I will live with the anomalies.
When I mentioned "acoustics" I wasn't referring to the induction noise (as intoxicating as it is!), but the flow of air into the engine. Like the exhaust system, shapes, lengths and volumes make a difference to the way air flows. Have a read of Phil Irving's "Tuning for speed" for more details - although this was written before air boxes were invented.
There is a very good reason why sports bikes have what looks like a massive fuel tank. It's mostly space for the air box, and the Tornado is no different. Pod filters are fine for 30 hp air cooled engines, but no good when you are trying to extract 130 hp and higher.
Also have a look at modern car air inlets. They are complicated for good reason.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I mentioned "acoustics" I wasn't referring to the induction noise (as intoxicating as it is!), but the flow of air into the engine. Like the exhaust system, shapes, lengths and volumes make a difference to the way air flows. Have a read of Phil Irving's "Tuning for speed" for more details - although this was written before air boxes were invented.
There is a very good reason why sports bikes have what looks like a massive fuel tank. It's mostly space for the air box, and the Tornado is no different. Pod filters are fine for 30 hp air cooled engines, but no good when you are trying to extract 130 hp and higher.
Also have a look at modern car air inlets. They are complicated for good reason.
Ahhh I have them on order now so will give them a try if its a bag of crap then I will get a k&n filter and stick that in.

Reactions: UpNorthWill

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd keep that airbox on, for only 1 reason:
Whoever owned mine before me set the valve clearences at absolute 0. And she ran like a twat but did run.
Enroute to getting her shimmed correctly the engine backfired through the throttle bodies and set the, unknown to me, fuel soaked foam air filter alight.
If it hadn't have been for the air box I would have had a very toasted set of legs face, arms, meat n veg and not to mention a destroyed bike.
Just my 20p worth

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
good point

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good point
Well I have just fitted some 60mm trumpet air filters from fleabay instead of using the stock airbox. My thinking is if the trumpets dont work I will fit a K&N filter. My only concern was although the outer dia was 60mm the internal dia of the rubber shroud fitting to the inlet housing was smaller so restricting the air flow thus dropping the BHP. Although I only gave it a little bit of throttle, (he lied) it pulled really well. Now it could be a combination of new iridium plugs and coil packs and small front and bigger rear sprockets and a 114 chain but I was happy with the old girl. It was even smooth at 30 mph instead of having to go up and down between gears at 30 ... so for now Im leaving the trumpets on.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Well I have just fitted some 60mm trumpet air filters from fleabay instead of using the stock airbox. My thinking is if the trumpets dont work I will fit a K&N filter. My only concern was although the outer dia was 60mm the internal dia of the rubber shroud fitting to the inlet housing was smaller so restricting the air flow thus dropping the BHP. Although I only gave it a little bit of throttle, (he lied) it pulled really well. Now it could be a combination of new iridium plugs and coil packs and small front and bigger rear sprockets and a 114 chain but I was happy with the old girl. It was even smooth at 30 mph instead of having to go up and down between gears at 30 ... so for now Im leaving the trumpets on.
Nah, its the trumpet lengths you are using. the longer the inlet trumpet the smoother it is low down. short trumpets come into their own with higher revs . That is why the latest stuff , Yam R1,s and R 6,s use variable tract intakes.

tornado and trek trumpets

DSCF1406.JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts