Benelli Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,
Went to Donington last Sunday, had a great day until it was time to leave, thought the side stand was down went to lean the bike over and down it went, clutch lever snapped, rad fairing cracked and engine management light on, then as im waiting in the queue just outside the track the bike cuts out and refuses to start even with a bump, luckily about an hour later a kind soul in a car gives me a jump start however the full beam light is on all the way home. Monday morning and not one Benelli dealer has got a clutch lever in stock and dont know when they can get one ,on the off chance i called at every thing but bikes in Chester and they matched a patterned one for a fiver! Took the light switch off and it was full of moisture so cleaned and sprayed with wd 40, problem gone. Went out all day yesterday in pouring rain with apolice class 1 rider and the bike was faultless!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bad luck Hector, did the same thing last year on my vtx while parking on the transmache ferry. managed to find a dealer in normandy to get spares (clutch lever) all the guys i ride with wont let me forget it, taking my tnt to red dog on monday for it's 4200 mile service and a new battery.
vtxbrit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mines due a service soon so it would be interesting to know how much Red Dog charge.
hector

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bad luck that....:(
Spoke to On Yer Bike and they seem to think the ho starting problem is due to the starter motor overheating. Apparently, power runs through it all the time the bike is running. They've had a couple where after changing the starter the problem disappeared. Also, they've had to replace the dash on a couple because the instruments play up which is why the fans come on and the bike registers as warm even when it's only been running for a couple of minutes. Also, they think this might account for my engine management light which has a life of it's own. The bad news is they only have a couple of oil filters in stock and that's it. When KJM have the parts to send them I'll be taking mine down to (hopefully) get it sorted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul, interesting news, I looked at the starter wiring. as I see it you have a main battery lead connected directly to the starter relay, (L/H red) then a main lead from the starter relay to the starter windings (R/H red), with a low voltage switch lead and fuse (the plug with 4 wires) between them, the L/H fuse is working the R/H fuse is a spare. Until the starter button is pushed no current can run to the starter relay or starter motor, there is also an interlock between the fuel pump and starter (connected to the same switch block) so the fuel injection would be live all the time the ignitions on. However after a long run this morning I measured my starter motor temperature and it showed 74°C externally which is hot! I will wait and see what the new battery does (being fitted Monday hopefully) before commenting further……..ps. apologies if any of the above is incorrect.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good luck with the battery and please let us know how you get on. Between all of us, hopefully we can get all these silly faults ironed out and make the bike as great as it should be. I don't think the starter should get that hot as it can't be doing it or its surrounding components any good.
Cheers. Paul.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts