Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
9 Posts
I saw one on the road!
It sounds great, looks better than 999
I tried to race him but no chance
I think it is a fast Ducati cos it has power!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want one too. I read they have 160bhp which is the same as a gsxr1000, but I saw a dyno chart - the duke whips the gsxr on torque. Plus it's got all the goodies for better handling too.

·
224 Posts
The new Benelli Tornado TRE 1130 actually has both more Horse Power and more Torque than the Ducati 1098.Why not get it instead?

The claimed weight of the Ducati is most likely understated. Once the 1130 TRE Tornado is out, Id like to see real weights and performance figures on the 2. Maybe even a shoot out between the 2.

Im waiting to see the Ducati 1098 in person. And Im also waiting to see the New Benelli Tornado TRE 1130 as well.

My guess is that the Benelli may be right up there with the new Ducati as a primo open class bike.

:ele:

·
1,231 Posts
B vs D

First let me say up front that I am a diehard Benelli fan. I love my LE. With that out of the way let me address the B vs D battle. I have seen both now in the flesh and I am sad to report that, in this mans humble opinion, the new 1130 in green and silver looks like poo. I can't put my finger on what it is about the bike. I think it was the massive over abundance of green on the ped. Maybe even that the green is just in the wrong places. It just doesn't look as good as the old Tornado paint scheme. Having said that the Duc looks amazing. Hard to screw up a red paint scheme. I am not a fan of black frames but they do seem the trend so I hold that not against either ped. The Duc is simply better looking. As far as performance goes, we will have to wait for a shootout. Remember, as far as specs go on a piece of paper, statistics don't lie but liars can do the statistics. And the mirrors are completely different in design as well. Similar only in the actual size. The Ducs do, however, closely resemble the MV Agusta's.

·
Administrator
972 Posts
Well,
It looks like I'll have to get both of them then we'll know for sure. Dammmit!

Benelli 1130 :duel: Duc 1098

·
903 Posts
What about the MV

:p

What about the MV you wanted then Admin?:soapbox:

Johnny, I think the new 1130 would look much better if they had stuck with the original grey frame and green & silver paintwork like your LE and my Tre.:D

The Black 1130 in my opinion looks pants as the black is semi gloss and just look's wrong. I think they should have kept it matt!:doh:

See my gallery for pictures.

·
224 Posts
The biggest single design/styling error on the Benelli Tornado Tre bikes (all of them) is the very out dated and butt-ugly single large one sided exhaust muffler.

If Benelli (or a good aftermarket exhaust company) would just make a muffler/end canister that fit the good looks of the rest of the bike, then the Benelli Tornado Tre would look vastly better and more up to date.

The present exhaust set up is not only a failure to progress past the 1990s but is looks like an after thought. "Oh shit we have the bike all done, but we somehow forgot to design an exhaust end piece. Oh look over there in the trash and lets see if we can find something that fits the midpipe and bolt it on until we get around to doing it right"

The only problem is they never got around to designing the exhaust to really fit the bikes futuristic design....oh how sad!!!!

:(

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Exhaust

I think I agree with that actually - the exhaust is the least eye catching part of a tornado - everything else makes you stare in awe - but the exhaust is just as Daotoys said- so 1990's

Surely someone out there can do something with this - like a nice stubby MotoGP type affair :D :D :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Re 1098

March edition of Bike magazine makes for interesting reading!!!!
the Ducati 1098 they had for a piece on comparing to 916 & brief comparisons against a Gsxr1000K6 included getting the opinion of Mark Brewin from BSD (well respected tuners/race engineers etc). He reckoned the general build was not up to the old 916 and most frightening.....when they popped the cam covers ONE OF THE CAMBELT TENSIONERS (NOW MADE OF PLASTIC) HAD OVALLED & SIEZED FLATTING THE CAMBELT IN THE PROCESS!!!
Now that's enough to make anyones butt clench!

·
224 Posts
March edition of Bike magazine makes for interesting reading!!!!
the Ducati 1098 they had for a piece on comparing to 916 & brief comparisons against a Gsxr1000K6 included getting the opinion of Mark Brewin from BSD (well respected tuners/race engineers etc). He reckoned the general build was not up to the old 916 and most frightening.....when they popped the cam covers ONE OF THE CAMBELT TENSIONERS (NOW MADE OF PLASTIC) HAD OVALLED & SIEZED FLATTING THE CAMBELT IN THE PROCESS!!!
Now that's enough to make anyones butt clench!
This is an excellent example of the first year of production of a new model being essentially a Beta Testing phase. Its a good general rule in my book to use a wait and see attitude when a new model comes out. I would rather like to not be the beta tester of a bike that may still have bugs to be sorted.
I rather like the looks and concept of the Ducati 1098. But Id wait a year or two for Ducati to get it all sorted.
Now if only Benelli would put a more exotic exhaust system end canister/muffler on its Tornado.....Im thinking I may design one of my own and have a local Fab shop build me one that fits the bike and shit can the tree trunk muffler hanging off the side of such beautiful bike. :rolleyes:

·
903 Posts
1098 & 1130 Exhausts

Have you seen the 1098,s exhausts, they look awful and ruin what is essentially a good looking motorbike.:p :p

I agree with you on the 1130,s exhaust, it would have looked nice if it has a different one, say a twin exhaust system with one each side of the fan's. Or better still, make it like the TNT with the pipe coming out were the tail light is and the tail light each side of the exhaust. Get ride of the passenger foot rests, fit a tail tidy and hey presto, a cracking looking bike that is up with the rest of them! :ele: :ele:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1098 vs Benelli 1130?

Has anyone seen a 1098 vs Benelli 1130 shootout? I just searched Google but no luck. Nor does there appear to be any magazines featuring the 1130 on the Benelli.com website.

·
Registered
197 Posts

Have you seen the 1098,s exhausts, they look awful and ruin what is essentially a good looking motorbike.:p :p

I agree with you on the 1130,s exhaust, it would have looked nice if it has a different one, say a twin exhaust system with one each side of the fan's. Or better still, make it like the TNT with the pipe coming out were the tail light is and the tail light each side of the exhaust. Get ride of the passenger foot rests, fit a tail tidy and hey presto, a cracking looking bike that is up with the rest of them! :ele: :ele:
Now that would be a GREAT IDEA.
Lets fit the exhaust system on top of the radiator :doh:
I dont think there is room either for an underseat exhaust, would make the arse of the bike HUGE.

Frankly, the exhaust doesnt bother me at all (except for the fact that it leaks all over the place .... )

·
903 Posts
Exhaust

ir-fuel I am fully aware where the radiator is! You could run the exhaust pipe behind the radiator (in front of if you look at it from the back) as the hot air from the radiator is expelled out through the back so the exhaust would not impeed the cooling effect.

The only problem would be clearance from the pipe and the rear wheel/hugger, but I am sure a solution could be found. Re the size of the rear end, I would not consider MV Agusta type exhausts as huge would you?

Just my opinion mate don,t slate me for it! :bawl:

·
Registered
197 Posts
ir-fuel I am fully aware where the radiator is! You could run the exhaust pipe behind the radiator (in front of if you look at it from the back) as the hot air from the radiator is expelled out through the back so the exhaust would not impeed the cooling effect.
Except for the fact that the heat produced by the exhaust piping will go into the radiator which is just on top of it. ;)

·
903 Posts
So please tell me what the difference is between my suggestion and the other bikes of this world with the exhausts just behind the radiator ala Suzuki, Honda etc?:confused:

·
Registered
197 Posts
So please tell me what the difference is between my suggestion and the other bikes of this world with the exhausts just behind the radiator ala Suzuki, Honda etc?:confused:
that heat moves up?
And that the radiator is in front of the exhaust pipes, and not on top of them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
having both the tornado and the 1098s i can tell you that the bikes are very hard to compare. The tornado builds up to it's power peak whereas the duc has it from the start and all the way through til redline. The torque on the 1098 is what gives it such large power under the curve. Peak power is really pointless to look at . Even if the 1130 has 160hp peak, how much power under the curve does it have if you overlayed it onto a 1098 dyno chart?

Placing my 900TRE (w/exhaust and tune) only held on for 1 gear next to my stock 1098s. Don't get me wrong, I love the benelli. It's gorgeous and rare around me. But i didn't get it for it's power delivery or speed.

As an fyi - cycle world just tested the 1098s at 9.84 in the quarter and got 174mph on the radar gun which is pretty close to the claimed 186mph on speedo.

It seems like everyone wants a comparison on the 1130 but i don't think an extra 20hp at the flywheel is going to beat the duc

1 - 20 of 20 Posts