Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new Tornado on the 9th March and learnt a week later that DVLA wouldn't register it so the shop came and picked my bike up to take away on the 26th to be inspected. Anybody else have any problems?

Kate

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I have no idea why you cant get the bike registed?

Maybe Laurence or Lloyd or someone else can shed some light on the matter - they will be on sometime soon I am sure !

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi Kate,

It's got me beat too guys.

The only thing that I can think of is that for some reason the DLVA can't find it on the UK 'Type Approval' database and the are going to treat it as an 'Imported Vehicle', in which case they will want to inspect it.

If this is the case, get your dealer to take it up with BenelliGB right away as this will definitely have an impact on your insurance cover and premium.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Hi Kate

Forgot to say -

Welcome to the Forum

Hopefully you will find everyone (well most !!) on here very helpful and more knowledgable than most Benelli dealerships

Hope you enjoy you time on here and that you get your bike registration sorted soon

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody,

The shop said it was a random inspection. I hope they dont have to register it as an import cos the insurance was steep enough as a UK bike and I'm a bit peed off that they didn't register it before I picked it up!! Hopefully I'll have her back by the time the weather sorts itself out. Oh, its a Tornado Tre 898 Silver/green by the way.

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Thats a weird one there, sorry to hear of your problem kate and why after the period of sale of this model should it be necessary to do this . this models been on sale for over 5 years and for that reason i'd be ringing benelli GB and asking if they have had any reports of this or any other Benelli models . should expect you could get compensated for inconvenience and loss after paying insurance, wonder if the model is not an official uk import hence why it was not first registered by shop and also dvla picked up on its details of import duty maybe not paid showing. if you have your chassis number i'd give it to benelli GB and see if they can shed light on it.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Sounds like a bit of a nightmare - like Angle says - the 898 has been around since 2003, so I am confused why registration of that is an issue?

As for insurance - how many no claims do you have ?

I have 6 years NCB, 36yrs old and only paid £225 (I think) Fully Comp last year (Which I had to shop around for tho)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Kurt,

Problem is the NCB, although I've had my licence for 7 years and never made a claim I haven't had a bike for 4 years so I have to start from scratch. 30 yr old, £1200 fully comp! Nearly cried, but other companies didn't even come close at £2000!! As for ringing Benelli my stepdad did and they didn't seem too surprised by it. I just hope the shop haven't taken me for a mug. Who should I be looking at compo from, the shop?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hello Kate and WELCOME.. :)

Do you mind me asking who you bought your Tornado from?

Was the bike taxed before you picked it up, because I thought a vehicle had to be registered (and insured) before it could be taxed? :confused:

My local dealer insists on you producing a valid insurance doc before you can pick a bike up. They also use it to obtain the tax disc for the bike. Sounds very strange. :(

Anywho.... I'll keep me fingers crossed for ya.. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Stephen,

I posted my insurance cert off to shop for them to tax it for me ready for pick up. When I got there they said they hadnt had the tax disc back yet and they'd post it on to me but not to worry as if I was stopped the police would be able to see that it was being dealt with:confused: . Nelli has been gone a week now with no word from the shop so I'm gonna be calling tomorrow to let them know I'm not happy. It was KJM at Wigan. My stepdad has bought from them before with no problems though.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Mmmmnnn KJM - they are the main importers (Benelli UK !!!)

I dont understand why its an issue - they must do this a dozen times a month probably ????? :confused:

Fingers crossed- keep pestering them, I am sure they will sort it?

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
this is a very weird one as like kurt says they are the importers and they would sell lots so why have a problem taxing(quick call in to post office job done !) and seeing as an ads in mcn every week telling people to buy a Tre i would of thought yours would of been sat plated and given to you all ready . just a mention here i was informed by someone that KJM were fined for selling copies of a small capacity japanese bike but in no way was this connected to sales of benelli's so i wonder if the dvla are just being stricter because of this with them.good luck and would of thought they may offer something for your inconvenience. good luck.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hi Stephen,

I posted my insurance cert off to shop for them to tax it for me ready for pick up. When I got there they said they hadnt had the tax disc back yet and they'd post it on to me but not to worry as if I was stopped the police would be able to see that it was being dealt with:confused: . Nelli has been gone a week now with no word from the shop so I'm gonna be calling tomorrow to let them know I'm not happy. It was KJM at Wigan. My stepdad has bought from them before with no problems though.
Tis a strange one indeed and I think you have every right to be VERY angry with KJM. Tax, insurance and registration should have been sorted BEFORE you picked the bike up. What would KJM have done if you refused to hand the bike back? What would the DVLA have said to KJM? I know that KJM have been very busy with the transfer of MV and Cagiva to them as UK distributors but still no excuse. Hope you get sorted soon, will be worth the wait. ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmm,:confused: :confused: :confused: .

C'mon then Dodgybollocks (where is he when you need him?), looks like on the face of it that you've got some explaining to do!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Now I never actually said that the 'worked' there Kurt, did I?

He's the ugly bugger on the right ;) .............mind you, for that matter, the guy on the left is no oil painting either. :rolling:

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
God thats sharp dressed man on the left is our very own Rusty Russ , I have to say if thats his wife i'd understand if he could never get the time to leave his house :rolling:

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
I hope you are referring to the bird on the bike Angus and not the guy on the right!!! :rolling:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well here I am......... recent wife disagreement meant I couldnt be arsed looking at you lot for a while seeing as I have had a few lodging issues to sort out:bawl: Any way lets see if I can explain
Firstly it is not a simple case of going to the post office to register a new vehicle it has to go a DVLA office with all the relevant documentation ie a valid insurance document from the person who is buying the bike and the paperwork from the manufacturer with the chassis number etc. etc.
All the paperwork is then given to the DVLA office, ours is in Preston, and they then duly process it and post out the V5 to the owner and the tax disc and insurance to the dealer to forward on to the customer, yes odd but thats the way it is.
We did this as soon as Kates insurance came to us but unfortunately they then came back to us via a letter, not a phone call, to state that as the bike is an older model it would require an inspection to prove it is actually a new bike, again ridiculous but we most follow rules or the bike would not get registered.
We then explained to Kate what we must do and arranged to collect her bike and drop it back off.
We fully understand all your concerns but as it stands the 900 Tornado is now no longer in production so when the DVLA see one being registered they want to check that it is brand new and sometimes they want to inspect the bike before they will do it .
Thats all there is to it, it is nothing sinister as some of you are trying to allude to, but feel free to ring me with any concerns.

Now if its all right with you lot I will go back to trying to find a new cardboard box to sleep in as the recent weather has ruined my present one:rolling:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts