Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looked on the mcia site with all the manufacturers info on e10 fuel compatability , amd as i expected no benelli info :doh:
Anyone know if benellis ( especially my tre ! ) is safe or are we on the on the yet more upgrade required, road?
Apparently this ethanol increase (10% up from 5%) destroys rubber hoses , seals etc

·
Registered
986 Posts
I would definitely not put E10 in any motorcycle with a plastic fuel tank, even the 5% ethanol fuel causes tanks to distort over time.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Diesel's not compatible either...........:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Gonna give LPG a try next Paul :confused::confused::rolling::rolling:

Reactions: Bronxhulk

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Gonna give LPG a try next Paul :confused::confused::rolling::rolling:

Oi.........!!!!!:mad::mad:

:soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::spank::spank::spank::spank::smashpc::smashpc::smashpc::smashpc:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolling::rolling:

·
Registered
850 Posts
Oi.........!!!!!:mad::mad:

:soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::spank::spank::spank::spank::smashpc::smashpc::smashpc::smashpc:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolling::rolling:
This is going to run longer than a snotty nose………..

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
This is going to run longer than a snotty nose………..

It will run longer than a :ele: On diesel that's for sure :rolling:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Diesel's not compatible either...........:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:
Thats not 100% correct!
I've know a Swiss Tornado tre owner who has fuelled his Tornado with Diesel accidentally the Tornado started and he drove with her few km. OK, the Tornado had a lot less power and made extremely smoke clouds but it worked

gesendet mit T4 über mein Streichelhandy

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Ah...........

But did he only do a partial fill up?

I put 17 litres in and managed around 1Km at 3 figure speed...........:p

THEN it stopped...............dead..............:bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl:

To make it worse...............it was the wife who diagnosed the problem as she checked my petrol / diesel receipts..........:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
5,967 Posts
I've used E10 for something like 1 in 4 fills. So that's 25,000 km on E10.
As far as I am concerned, the Tornado is fine to run on E10.

I'd love to know just what parts people think are not compatible with E10.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I'd love to know just what parts people think are not compatible with E10.
The fuel tank would be my only concern. I have to lever mine back into place as the holes don't line up any more which is almost certainly down to ethanol. The same thing happened to my Aprilia RSV and the tank on my uncles RSV4 developed a very unsightly bulge on one side due to ethanol (fortunately within warranty). It's a very, very common problem with plastic tanks.

·
5,967 Posts
The fuel tank would be my only concern. I have to lever mine back into place as the holes don't line up any more which is almost certainly down to ethanol.
Mine too, and every Tornado tank I've ever removed and left off for more than a couple of weeks, regardless of E10 use. It's nylon, so it moves if unconstrained.
I have filed mine back a bit.
The same thing happened to my Aprilia RSV and the tank on my uncles RSV4 developed a very unsightly bulge on one side due to ethanol (fortunately within warranty). It's a very, very common problem with plastic tanks.
All nylon tanks should be lined to seal them against ethanol absorption but some aren't. If you look inside the Tornado it can be clearly seen. (Cut the fuel delivery hose & you'll find it is also lined) I haven't looked inside an RSV or RSV4 tank. The tank on my RXV is polypropylene as is the RS125 (AFAIK), which is impervious to C2H5OH

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I would definitely not put E10 in any motorcycle with a plastic fuel tank, even the 5% ethanol fuel causes tanks to distort over time.
Did 150 miles on Sunday with a full tank of E10, didn’t notice any difference, still got back home with 2 bars left on the fuel gauge. Had mine 15 years not notice any Tank problems.(so far).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Short term usage should not be a problem its long term usage and storage where the plastics absorb the ethanol and swell, plus water absorption and then separation in the bottom of the tank.
I work in the garden machinery industry and the biggest problem we have had since the E fuels is water in the fuel/carbs after being laid up over winter and that's been with E5, it will only get worse. I recommend to our customers storing dry of fuel or a full tank for minimal surface area where swelling tanks is not a problem (tell tail sign is tight fuel caps) on garden machinery. I have vintage bikes to and will be storing with alkylate fuel (aspen/Husqvarna fuel) which will mix with petrol but not degrade plastic /rubber seals, its expensive £20 but cheaper then tanks replacement/repair, but as I said berfore the nelly will be running on E5 super and stored dry/aspen.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts