Benelli Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks Engenia PA6 (Polyamide 6) absorption is 100 times less than HDPE " Monolayer PA 6 a Cost-effective Solution for Motorcycle Fuel Tanks" is a reassuring read. At least Benelli got that right! I wonder what plastic Ducati used in the early Multistrada that gave problems?
I suppose time will tell but e5 super for me.
It is a mine field. having read everybody's comments and taking note of the Oracle that is Errol, I am going to drain my plastic tanks for the winter and maybe treat them with that magic stuff but as you say a 20 quid a shot with 5 bikes ...I suppose I will have to do extra time in the red light district!!!.

Earlier in the year I got some power fuel catalyst things from fleabay. They are little marble size things and I would think they are made of lead zinc and gosh knows what else that will ooze over time to disperse in the fuel. I stuck them in every petrol engine thing I have from a little genny for the caravan to Mr Ben, they are supposed to do away with the need to run on 99 octane and also to save putting additives in older bikes to stop them pinking etc. Who knows if they work or not?

Last time I had the tank of Mr Ben I can only say what a bastard trying to get it back on again as others have said the holes dont line up any more. My solution to get it back into place so I could lever the rear bolt back into place was to run a hose pipe over the tank to "shrink" it down enough for the holes to get anywhere near.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It is a mine field. having read everybody's comments and taking note of the Oracle that is Errol, I am going to drain my plastic tanks for the winter and maybe treat them with that magic stuff but as you say a 20 quid a shot with 5 bikes ...I suppose I will have to do extra time in the red light district!!!.

Earlier in the year I got some power fuel catalyst things from fleabay. They are little marble size things and I would think they are made of lead zinc and gosh knows what else that will ooze over time to disperse in the fuel. I stuck them in every petrol engine thing I have from a little genny for the caravan to Mr Ben, they are supposed to do away with the need to run on 99 octane and also to save putting additives in older bikes to stop them pinking etc. Who knows if they work or not?

Last time I had the tank of Mr Ben I can only say what a bastard trying to get it back on again as others have said the holes dont line up any more. My solution to get it back into place so I could lever the rear bolt back into place was to run a hose pipe over the tank to "shrink" it down enough for the holes to get anywhere near.
Here's a thought... anyone else have a diesel car as well as bikes? what about doing a drain down on the bikes ..fill with diesel which is effectively refined crude oil. Then at the start of next year drain the diesel out and stick it in your car. At that rate there should only be a small percentage of petrol in the diesel which will do no harm at all.

In the olden days when I lived in Germany and took the car to go skiing ( me skiing ..not the car), I used to fill up with diesel at the bottom of the hill and stick a maximum 20% of petrol in the tank, it would stop the diesel waxing up. I would leave the car for 2 weeks go back to it and off she would go. It was always the naysayers that got stuck with waxing and of course it wasnt like me to rub it in as I drove past as they had the bonnets open waiting for a recovery truck... ho ho ho If we were expecting a really cold snap at home I would usually stick about 10-15% in I never had a problem with waxing or the car messing up regards fuel pumps ..injectors or anything.

How many people have put a gallon of petrol in the diesel and called out the man and got charged a fortune to empty the tank when all they needed to do was fill the rest of tank with diesel and carry on as per normal.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I use Shell V Power where ever I can get it ( not easy in West Wales) - but swear I get better flexibility out of the Tre . Over winter I use Motorex Fuel Stabiliser ( from M&P) in a full tank, which seems to store ok

·
Registered
248 Posts
My taking from this il just use what j can get hold of. If I alternate a tank of super and a tank of e10 she will be fine. I don't tend to lay by bike up they get used year round, but if it's goilntg to be say a month or so il put super in it.
My biggest query of this whole thread is how on earth you managed to get 150 miles from a tank. Im hunting for fuel at 100 !

Did 150 miles on Sunday with a full tank of E10, didn’t notice any difference, still got back home with 2 bars left on the fuel gauge. Had mine 15 years not notice any Tank problems.(so far).

Reactions: tonydoc

·
Registered
127 Posts
150 miles - I think its down to the sender in the tank. If the tank is 18 litres - and I refuel with 11 litres to the brim on 2bars left, then it looks like there were 7 litres left in the tank when I refuelled. I'm sure Errol can be more precise? Despite this, for me , if it gets to 2 bars on the gauge, its time to refuel and not risk running out out.

If we accept that a Tre will do about 40-45 miles to the gallon then Tonydocs
gauge is reading from a lower level in the tank. to achieve 150 miles by 2 bars on the gauge

·
Registered
151 Posts
150 miles - I think its down to the sender in the tank. If the tank is 18 litres - and I refuel with 11 litres to the brim on 2bars left, then it looks like there were 7 litres left in the tank when I refuelled. I'm sure Errol can be more precise? Despite this, for me , if it gets to 2 bars on the gauge, its time to refuel and not risk running out out.

If we accept that a Tre will do about 40-45 miles to the gallon then Tonydocs
gauge is reading from a lower level in the tank. to achieve 150 miles by 2 bars on the gauge
40 -45 mpg I wish I have never got any where near that and i dont ride like my arse is on fire. Might need remapping?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Re map I think - back when my Tre was new (2011) it did 25-30mpg until I saw sense and got Bennetts to do the servicing - turns out it had the wrong map, which they changed, and then refreshed (?) a couple of years ago . Still smells to be running a little rich , but the throttle response is so creamy I'm happy with it as it is. (Lets hear it for Matt at Bennetts)

·
5,961 Posts
Certainly check the map, but you could also check the idle mixture. If you lean it out you'd be surprised how much that effects the mixture at highway speeds. I certainly was. A mate had his TreK serviced in Sydney then rode it back to Canberra. It ran like crap but the mileage was unusually astounding. Setting the idle mixture a bit richer got it running better, but the mileage suffered.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My taking from this il just use what j can get hold of. If I alternate a tank of super and a tank of e10 she will be fine. I don't tend to lay by bike up they get used year round, but if it's goilntg to be say a month or so il put super in it.
My biggest query of this whole thread is how on earth you managed to get 150 miles from a tank. Im hunting for fuel at 100 !
Got to admit that I’ve only been getting this kind of mileage since I fitted the 12 hole injectors, and had the map checked by Bennett’s.🙌

·
Crisis
28 Posts
Nowadays I'm filling my RS every time with E10. Why would I do that with all those horror stories? ... :unsure:

In the past some times with E5, some time with E10. When I learned about the possibility of E10 eating up your fuel tank, I switched to E5, unless I couldn't get E5. A year ago I had some running issues and blamed it on cheap Italian fuel (Holliday Netherlands-Germany-France-Italy-Austria-Germany and back home again), but at a certain point the display mentioned battery issues. After closer inspection the battery cable (negative) had shaken loose and obvious scorch marks. As I was driving mostly in more remote parts, at some points you have to take what's available as a Tornado always is a thirsty companion. I had the impression it was running richer and poorer on E5 than on E10, but than again, electrics had taken a beating

Had it serviced at Maniac's earlier this year for a thorough service (60k service). Alex put in new injectors and compatible software (Einspritzdüsen-Satz Benelli inkl Standart EVR-Map, Maniac Motors). Not because it was actually necessary, but on my request to make sure to have it running at it's best for years to come. Back from Alex I have tried both running on E5 and E10. I hadn't drained the fuel tank in between, but filled up multiple times with E5 and later on multiple times with E10. For both E5 and E10 it was running better than before, so credits to the new injectors anyway. I'm at 66k right now and in my experience it's noticeably running smoother on E10 than on E5. Not that it's a huge difference, but a difference nonetheless. Fuel consumption is about the same. Fuel consumption is usually between 40-50 mpg (most in city traffic).

I think I dropped it off at Alex with E10 in it's fuel tank, so it probably is tuned on E10. Don't know if that technically could make sense (I'm no expert on that part), but if it is, that could be a reason.

Anyways. V-power and it's equals are alcohol free as far as I know for anyone who wants to avoid alcohol. Haven't tried that to be honest, but might be a good idea to try that to for a while. I do agree that alcohol is for human consumption, but if it's rubbish for feeding your motorcycle, it still gets rubbish with E5, only in a lesser amount, so don't see that as a reason to set E10 aside over E5. I'd then go for completely non-alcoholic. Fuel tank is still fine, hoses are replaceable, but most importantly, it runs fine, so I'm a happy guy.

So next fuel stops for non-alcoholic V-powers and it's likes to see what difference it'll make

21 - 32 of 32 Posts