Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'06 TnT Sport

Idle Speed Jump
This issue was most noticeable before the idle speed was increased to 1500rpm. On starting, the bike fast idled as per normal and then gradually settled down to a 1200 rpm idle as the engine warmed up.

But if the bike is stopped when hot for around 5 to 20 minutes, the idle speed will sometimes jump to 1500rpm and stay there. Turning the ignition off and on and restarting the bike returned the idle to 1200rpm – using the kill switch didn’t appear to effect the problem.

This issue is still there but not as noticeable now that the idle speed is set to 1500rpm, now the idle jumps to 1600 - 1700rpm on occasion.

Idle Speed Variation with New Map/Tune
I’ve noticed that the idle speed is not consistent with the latest Map/Tune. On starting, the engine fast idles as per normal and then gradually reduces to 1500rpm. However, as the temp passes the normal point on the gauge and heads to the fan trigger point the idle reduces to 1200rpm

Flat Spot/Hiccup
This occurs between 2500 - 3500rpm under acceleration at roughly half throttle. This is most noticeable coming out of a slow corner and shows up as a small to medium hiccup. This issue doesn’t seem to occur at the exhaust valve opening point.

Slow Speed Running
At small throttle openings there is a tendency for the engine to hesitate and surge. This gets worse as the engine warms up and is quite bad when hot. It is most noticeable at around 50 – 60kph at around 4000rpm. As you can imagine this is very annoying around town.

Background/Servicing
The bike has been set up and fitted with the latest maps by my dealer on 3 or 4 occasions and whilst some issues have been minimized, others have appeared and it still isn't right.

Is anyone else experiencing similar foibles or have any suggestions?

Mike

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine just had the latest map fitted and runs like a charm. More power everywhere and better fuel economy.:clap:

Try adjusting the idle to 1500 rpm with the manual adjuster on the LHS of the bike when it is fully warmed up - this stops any variation from the zero position of the throttle position sensor.

TPS and CO level should also have been set at the time of new map.

Cheers Mike.
P.S. Try disconnecting the solenoid to see if the exhaust or air flaps are causing a problem.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sounds like there might still be some room for fine tuning the map performance.

As for the slow speed hiccup and hesitation, you might want to make sure your chain is tightened correctly, not too loose or tight. With the engine like the 1130cc triple, it can be a problem, as the engine tends to hiccup and charge on very low revs, a bit like a big twin. Having a chain not quite correctly adjusted will magnify the effect and riding sensation. Especially in the case of a TnT, where the chain is long and the sprockets rather small.

I think there are actually two funny spots, sort of, in the rev range. Again, not unlike some big twins, rather than i4 ones. There's the usual open/close valve spot around 4 to 5k, and also the low rev, light throttle coughing/ hesitating/ charging spot below 3k. One might not even notice those spots until one has to crawl very slowly in roads blocked by tins. Especially with a whipping chain. I've had the chance to ride several different TnTs lately, and it looks like the problem described can be minimized with careful fine tuning and tweaking. Plus avoiding a weak/dodgy battery and cables.

Some dealer services seem to do a better job in general than some others. I'd recommend finding either a dealer or an independent service facility where the staff actually know their stuff, and then sticking with it. Seeing a Benelli or other brand logo on the wall of a dealer showroom is not necessarily a guarantee for top level expertise for this sort of bikes.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Mike

I had the latest map and fan kit installed by Red Dog in June and the bike behaves very differently from when it I first got it

Idle speed - I don't seem to have the same problem as you but if I touch the throttle before the tickover has settled down (30 secs ish) it won't pick up and stalls

Flat Spot/Hiccup Yup - Exactly as you describe it. Annoying when you're coming out of roundabouts

Slow Speed Running Again, exactly as you describe it.

In addition, I occasionally suffer a backfire on overrun and the stalling at tickover which stops the crank dead (described by others elsewhere on this site)

Certainly, the bike runs cooler which is a relief but I can't help thinking that it's down to the fan kit and possibly reducing the temp at which they come on. Other changes to the map seem to have made the bike less rideable. It may have more power but at the price of usability

Sadly, I don't think Benelli are likely to resolve this any time soon so I'll have to chuck a PCIII on it and ask an adult to set it up for me :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
My cafe racer has now developed all of the above issues, was running great then tick over jumped to 1500 rpm, next came the surging/ flatspots and now the head light goes out at 1500 rpm and then flickers like mad.

I have spoken to Rusty Russ and also DK and hope to get it sorted on Friday,
it seems the map needs tuning, the TPS (throttle position sensor) needs setting for both fully closed and fully open and the CO2 setup correctly.

I will post the outcome of the axone tune up at DK when it's done

·
Registered
139 Posts
WELL, took the cafe racer to the dealer to get these issues sorted and it,s WORSE !!!!!!!!

took the bike to the servie dept, greeted with smiles and "don't worry it will be sorted" Great, any chance you can take out the airbox flaps while you have the tank off ? , No problem sir

I hand over the key and go for a bacon buttie and a look round the show room and a rattle....... 2hrs later the bike appears from the work shop, "we could not fit the tickover adjuster gable coz it's not come in yet, we could not reset the map, TPS or CO2 as we cannot find the cable to plug into your bike from the axone unit, BUT we did take the airbox flaps out, so you will have to come back" hmmmmm disapointed, I ride off, 200 yards down the road the red warning light comes on with BAT flashing on the display, Back to dealer. "It must be the removal of the flaps !!!" .... are you sure, "or could be low battery as we left the ignition on, or maybe that the exhaust flap is working with out the airbox flaps !!!" ( I now think they have no idea).

The guy who worked on the bike comes out, I get him to disconnet the solinoid for the flaps and exhaust valve, bike starts with just the odd flicker of red light and BAT warning. "it will be ok now, the battery will charge on your way home". Off I go again, bike starts surging like a tw** and red light comes on permanently with BAT on display, running gets worse, feels like running on 2 cylinders, I get to next roundabout and limp back.

get the mechanic back out, bike won't re-start coz battery FLAT. I get the ER6n to go home on with "we will give you a call when we have sorted it"

NOT A HAPPY BENELLI OWNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am seriously thinking of DEMANDING they exchange the bike for a JAP machine of same value.. and will be having a Rant at Benelli UK on monday.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

oh and by the way, the guy I spoke to who came and chatted about my bike and has ordered the tre K , I would be reconsidering if I were you !!

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi Tim,

What Dealer did you take the bike into?

·
Registered
139 Posts
The Dealer is DK motorcycles in Newcastle Staff's

I spoke to their Sales manager today and he agrees in principle to exhange the bike, I have to contact the General manager on monday to work out the Details, But I will go back to Jap I'm afraid :(

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well, like I said, some dealers do a better job than some others. It does pay off to look around and investigate, and sometimes even ride a bit further away for a good place. A Benelli logo in the wall of a big dealer is no guarantee for anything, as long as Benelli services are concerned. Especially so when the logo is just one of many different logos, usually for the jap ones.

·
Registered
139 Posts
OK, after calming down over the weekend I called Brian at Benelli UK, he seems pretty adament to get to the bottom of the problems and is about to get others involved and will hopefully get some answers tomorrow.

There is a dealer a lot closer to me who I thought no longer did Benelli but seems they are back on board, I called them and they they seem eager to help, have all the correct equipment and have had the Benelli training.

Has anyone had any dealings with Streffords at Worcester ?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have had several conversations with Brian at Benelli UK and he seems to have been working hard to get this resolved, He has been in contact with DK and also got Rusty Russ involved. Also got a mail from DK boss man confirming they are sure they will get this sorted, all the parts and equipment needed are now available and the bike should be ready for collection on Saturday. Lets hope this is it now and it gets sorted !!!

DK wrote :-

Tim,

First and foremost I must offer my sincere apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I’me sorry to hear you are experiencing a few problems with your bike but I am confident we can find a solution to the issues raised. I have forwarded a copy of your letter onto our service department for their comments and shall also be discussing your case with the team at Benelli UK. Knowing that the Benelli was your first choice we will do everything possible to keep you on your preferred option. I certainly wouldn’t expect you to keep a bike that was not meeting your expectations but I feel confident with Benelli UK’s help we can get you back on the road and happy with your purchase.

I look forward to discussing further.

Regards,

·
Registered
139 Posts
UPDATE !

The bike is ready for collection, it appears there was a fault with the alternator, a couple of bolts had sheared off but the unit is a serviceable item, seems it was only putting out 8 volts. hopefully its all ok now :rolleyes:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well !, it seems like its finally sorted, picked the CR up sat morning after having new maps, TPS and CO2 set, new alternator and battery and tick over cable fitted......... WHAT A DIFFERENCE the surging has gone , now smooth as silk all through rev range, power wheelies in 1st 2nd and third, pulls hard all the way up to max rpm, starts perfect and tick over now seems stable, no hiccup or any hesitation anywhere :D

Got to say thanks to Brian at Benelli UK for keeping on top of this and also DK for finally getting it sorted.

did a 260 mile run out today and all perfect (at last !)

·
Registered
41 Posts
stalling

I have been using Bp ultimate (its convenient) and changed to shell (V power my prefered) and the bike is much smoother and has not stalled since_ I have done 550 miles this week.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just wondering what C0 level your bikes are being set to?

Mine has the latest map but still has low throttle issues when very hot (heading to fan turn on). The C0 was set to just over 1 which I think is too low.

Any thoughts?

Mike

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update

It's back in the shop again!

The low throttle surging & misfiring got a whole lot worse on the weekend with the bike almost un-rideable when hot. To make matters worse the exhaust power valve refused to close on several hot starts which really screwed idle and slow speed running.

Mike

·
3,085 Posts
mmm

I'd remove that power valve and replace that section of pipe with a plain piece, also with tuneboy , on the latest version, you can alter the thermo fan settings so the fans come on at a lower temp, "Tuneboy" on this forum is Wayne MacDonald, the inventor of the software, i find him very helpful, drop him a pm

1 - 20 of 27 Posts