Benelli Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I recently acquired a 1974 Benelli! It’s a fantastic bike and runs very well for being so old. Only problem is none of the lights are working. It will start from the kickstart, but no electrics. Any ideas? I tried a new battery, and replaced the fuse but no luck. I tried tracing all the wires but everything seems ok and connected. The bike is old but only has 3,000 miles on it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
186 Posts
I was thinking the lights worked on AC, not the battery? But it has been a LONG time since I got one of those in new and sold it (I rode it myself as a ‘demo’ for many months).
I will look in my service manual, but I would first take apart and clean all connections- especially those darn pointy ended fuses. I suspect regulator/rectifier- but just my speculation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking the lights worked on AC, not the battery? But it has been a LONG time since I got one of those in new and sold it (I rode it myself as a ‘demo’ for many months).
I will look in my service manual, but I would first take apart and clean all connections- especially those darn pointy ended fuses. I suspect regulator/rectifier- but just my speculation.
Hi so battery is all good, but it only stays charged for around 20 mins. The mechanics think it’s the regulator/rectifier and maybe the stator. You think there is anyway to replace them with some universal ones? Thanks!

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
186 Posts
There is a company that makes a replacement system I‘m pretty certain.
I will find a link.

do you have a service manual?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a company that makes a replacement system I‘m pretty certain.
I will find a link.

do you have a service manual?
Yes a link would be great! I do not have a service manual. I can’t seem to find one online

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
186 Posts

I’ve never used any of this companies stuff, I have read good reports.

I’ve had very good results buying from here:

(you click on the words in italics, it will show price on top of page. Then you can add to cart to order.
309 Euro.)
My German is non-existant, but Detlief is very good with email in English and shipping.

·
Registered
615 Posts
If it’s and older 2c it will need major wiring alterations to fit a power dynamo system. Some times the ignition switches are corroded internally and this disconnects the battery from the bike Electrics.
I think there are relays in the headlight they might be worth looking at?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Engineering

1 - 8 of 8 Posts