Benelli Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahem.....after a long chat with Colin I decided that my engine top mounting bolts needed a check. Couldn't see an easy way to do without taking off the top fairings, so thought I would rock the bike forwards with front brake applied and check for knocking - well lots of knocking.....harder I rocked it forward the louder the knock...oh dear I thought:bawl: :bawl: Then i had a brainwave:ele: :ele: put the sidestand up so it stops knocking on the ground:doh: :doh:

So in short anyone got any tips for checking top engine bolt tightness without stripping the bike down?:bow: :bow:

·
1,841 Posts
I dont think there is a easy way Sean, on the subject though,if you push and pull the brake you will get a bit of a knock from the pads and disc buttons.There is only one way put a spanner on it.After I found mine loose and tightened the mounts I realised that when I rode over speed bumps (loads near me !) it originally had been clonking,but now did not.That is how I realise that they were loose from new.
Colin.

·
1,841 Posts
Just to clarify,the top front middle bolt can become loose due to bad design,a spacer to Errols spec is a simple way to cure this one. The other bolts that I have found loose (the paint marks always line up as if they were correctly tightened fom new) are the ones on either side that connect the frame rails to the head. The right one allways seems to be the most loose.
Ps I checked my front sprocket the other day and it was loose, the paint marks lined up.
colin

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys...all done. As you say Colin, paint marks lined up, but although not loose did need a quarter turn, so applied Errols fix and in business:ele: :ele: :ele: Cheers guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts