Benelli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Having a weird problem with my LE today. I only have 2 trips for a total of 60 miles on the bike. The first trip went just fine. Bike started, ran , idled at 1,200 just fine.

Today I pulled it out to go to work - 64F outside so plenty warm. Took a bit of cranking to get her to fire (clocks and trip reset during this time). Once she fired and the temp needle started to move I jumped on and headed to work. When I reached the first stoplight (about 1 mile away) I blipped the throttle for the downshift and the revs went to 5,000 and stayed there. I tried blipping the throttle and it would go up and settle back down to 5,000rpm.

If I held the front brake and dragged the clutch it would slow down to 2,300 or so. Temp was reading around 85C. It thought this was weird but kept going. Ran fine on the freeway (keeping it below 5k for break-in). When I exited the freeway it was idling at 5k again. Again I could drag the clutch w/ the brake on and it would slow down but not all the way to 1,200.

When I went to lunch today, as soon as I started it the rpms went to 2,300. If I blipped the throttle it would run up to 5k.

I did tighten the throttle cable as it was a little loose but I've done this before on countless bikes and never had this happen. I also adjusted the brake and clutch levers slightly. I don't have any tools with me at work but I checked and it doesn't look like there are any cable being pinched or anything. When I get home I'll loosen the throttle again to see if that fixes it but

Anyone seen something like this before?

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
put a lot of slack back into the throttle cable just to eliminate cable problems,if it still races I would whip the tank and airbox off and check all throttle body linkages and the stepper valve.
Terry

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I'm a moron. Slacked the throttle cables completely and went for a spin. She ran great! :doh:

I guess it was the 2,500 rpm idle variance that made me question what was going on. With my older bikes if I overtighten the throttle cable it just raises the idle as if you're holding the throttle slightly open. The Nelli was sometimes idling at 5k and sometimes at 2.3k - that didn't make sense to me. Oh the joys of electronic motorcycles! :rolleyes:

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Hey Chris, we should hook up for a ride one of these days - it would be pretty cool to have a Tre and an LE side-by-side for a ride - we'd get lots of attention!

I'm across the bay but I never mind coming across to the peninsula.

Shoot me an email at [email protected].

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
You Lucky, Lucky B*rrrrrstard ! :rolling: most bikes in this country are wrapped up in the garage with a hot water bottle :bawl: !
(Except those of us who are still Nelli-less !)

(Hopefully not for too much longer though !)

:rolling:
Rob my man, its all that rain that make this a Green & pleasent land!!!!
:clap: :clap:

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You Lucky, Lucky B*rrrrrstard ! :rolling: most bikes in this country are wrapped up in the garage with a hot water bottle :bawl: !
(Except those of us who are still Nelli-less !)

(Hopefully not for too much longer though !)

:rolling:
80F and sunny here today and forecast the same for the weekend :clap: Finally getting new shoes mounted on the LE today so couldn't ride her to work - been pushing my luck riding on the 6-year old D207RR's (only been on the freeway though - no twisties yet). Be glad to get some fresh rubber on there. Then to Laguna Seca next Thursday. Sadly going to still be under the 600-mile break-in. Top speed at 5k rpm... 80mph :eek:

·
1,231 Posts
Weather

Only 84 and sunny here. I think the biking/non-biking weather here is reverese of the UK...320 riding days/45 non-riding in FL...damn those 45 days!

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Strider you are not a moron, however my mate is.
He has basically done the same as you to his front brake. He put a spacer in (a washer) to take up some slack on his Hayabusa that he sprints (Iknow it's hydraulic). He did a 140mph+ standing quarter. Fortunately his brake mod only came into effect on the return road where he applied the brake gently which totally locked the front and slammed him into the ground. And there was him thinking he could improve on Suzuki's multi million pound R&D with a tuppenny washer:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts