Benelli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gents,

Ten days into ownership and the first challenge :)

I have attempted to read all of the threads relating to irrational clock operations, especially related to the temperature gauge, however I was not able to find anything that matched my problem.

Yesterday the temperature got up there very quickly when started from cold. Flashing light came on when moving and H20 appeared on the dash. (Not literally of course, that would be disastrous :) )
The temp. gauge was kind of all over the place, but the bike ran well and did not appear to be over heating.
I stopped, took the cap off and let it cool just in case. (Less then 2 miles from home in the country... no traffic). Everything appeared normal. Cap back on and off we went. Light still flashing and dash H20.
It now seems that the temp gauge reads the temp that it last recorded before starting the bike again ! Let it cool and it will not come out of the blue etc.
I have yet to see the temp. get over 90Deg, yet as I was investigating yesterday, I let the engine run hot until the fans came on ... which they did ....

I have no idea at what temp the engine is running at. Is the above sad tail reminiscent of anything anyone else has experienced, and if so ... is this one of those times when new clocks are required? :doh:

Is there a complete clocks reset procedure? Can't find one in the manual.

Cheers

Duncan

·
Registered
15 Posts
dodgy temp gauge

hi mate
had same sort of strange problem,my clocks ran at max on temp gauge and when i got back home turned bike off gauge stayed at 90 deg,i switched it back on and off it then dropped to 0 deg phones kjm they said clocks damanged need replacing best give them a ring but strange thing is the last week they have been perfect still warrenty claim with benelli should replace them made need air sensor mod which can give incorrect reading.bike runs ok no issues apart from that but if main red warning light comes on i,ll get some help before riding again better safe than sorry,

all the best bennyboy

:ele: :confused:

·
5,967 Posts
Duncan, if the red light is on, & the dash shows "H2O", you definitely need to address it. The gauge itself, if it is an early one, can do strange things, & generally can't be trusted. I have an original RevA dash that acts like yours. My RevD dash is fine.
The red light / LCD warning is separate from the temp gauge, and you need to pay attention to it.
Chances are, you have an air lock in the cooling system, which leaves you with less coolant than necessary to stabilise the temperature. The bleeding procedure can be found HERE
That said, the engine is remarkably resilient. The great sage JohnnyO, has told me a story of a Tornado that did several laps of the Phillip Island circuit, with only half the required coolant, without any effect on the engine.
Cheers, Errol

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good advice

Thanks gents,

Good advice. The bike is parked up until I am happy that everything is as it should be. Will carry out the bleeding procedure and see what happens. It does look as though that is the most likely problem, but weird the thing flashes and shows "H2O" from a cold start.

Anyway, will post the fix back on here for everybody's information.

Cheers

Duncan

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wee problem #1 - Fixed

Gents,

I said I would post the findings of my wee over heating problem ... so here it is.

There was no problem. Just an electrical glitch that was making the clocks flash "H20". I will get the sensor and connections checked out when I can lay my hands on a Tuneboy.

However, one thing I did do a few days back is follow the radiator bleed procedure as advised by Engenia. Did not see or hear any air, but it certainly seems to have done no harm. I think it may have been a combination of that, then the clocks re-setting cleared the fault. Not totally sure I'm afraid.

I think the clock reset themselves when I started it today. No warning, just ran it up hot, saw the thermostat open and ran it hotter before checking the fans came on. We will see what happens tomorrow, as that is another day in the adventure of Benelli ownership.

What I did find out was that none of the dealers in Scotland will even let the bike through their doors. Threw their hands up in horror they did as if it was infected by some dastardly disease. Just makes me want it all the more :)

So, being 400miles from the nearest dealer, I will get a Tuneboy and make myself the expert of the North East (of Scotland). There is just me, and that is quite a small area, so it sounds better than it is :rolleyes:

Cheers

Duncan

·
Super Moderator
7,781 Posts
Hi Duncan,

Try Sandy Bloy in Perth. They are not Benelli dealers and I have not used them myself but they seemed willing to help Al when he had a few problems a while back.

The easiest way to reset the electrics is to just disconnect the battery for a few minutes before re-connecting it again, however, it may also be worth disconnecting the multi pin plug from the back of the clocks and reconnecting it again in case you have a 'dry' connection on one of the pins. This may be the case if the bike has been sat idle in the showroom for a long time before you bought it. Unfortunately, you will have to remove the screen, mirror and one side of the top fairing to get access to behind the clocks. :bawl:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Temperature - Wee Problem #1

Laurence,

I will give the blokes in Perth a go.

In the meantime I have a Tuneboy kit coming, so that should help me get to know this thing a little better. :)

Cheers

Duncan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts