Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info on engine numbers ie: date of manufacture, engine type, mods needed on any series of numbers, Standard Tre or Tre RS??
Any help would be great.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a TRE 900 2003
Vin No ZBNTB 00003P100216

Engine number B3002160

so the B=Benelli
3=2003
216=production number

mine was the 216 TRE produced

Mods, new clocks, exhaust for replacement, new chain and sprockets at 1800miles, remapped many times clutch to be done in the next couple of weeks, waiting for Italy to approve and foot the bill.

Hope it helps.:confused:

·
5,929 Posts
VIN: ZBNTB00003P100216
Yours (like mine ZBNTB00003P100922) fits squarely in the original batch that needs ALL the mods - clutch basket, alternator lock washer, radiator cap & clutch command lever.

Have they been done?

Have you been keeping an eye on the tensioner depth? You just need to confirm that it's gradually moving in. Don't want to alarm you, but you do need to know.

·
Registered
380 Posts
No none of the above .....yet

"Have you been keeping an eye on the tensioner depth? You just need to confirm that it's gradually moving in. Don't want to alarm you, but you do need to know."
Please tell me how itsdone and at what intervals.

Whats a clutch command lever?

·
3,085 Posts
lever

the clutch accuating plate on the engine cases were the cable connects to a metal plate, original it was alloy and bent, causes incomplete clutch disengagement, factory replacement is steel

·
5,929 Posts
No none of the above .....yet
.. tensioner depth? Please tell me how its done and at what intervals.
Recalls -- :mad: Please, please do it soon:bawl:

Tensioner -- www.mso.anu.edu.au/~ekowald
navigate to Engine / Camshaft / Tensioner / How It Works , about halfway down the page "To Check The Tensioner Travel"
Do it every service. You just need to know that it's moving.

You can see my 2nd chain stats at Engine / Camshaft / Tensioner / My Stats

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
hi I have ZBNTB00003P100304

engine number B3002340

I appear to of had replacement upper fairing,kill switch mechanism,latest map,re set tacho ?.

have asked for clocks replacement through russ at bennetts and still awaiting goodwill nod from benelli but must admit bit concerned i thought it had mods of clutch etc done but can't find it mentioned so going to get bike checked through kjm(Britain) to find out status.

apart from coil incident bikes as sweet as a nut ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
cam tensioner spring travel

Hi to all and a Happy new year. Benelli advise to fit the cam tensioner spring from the 1130 series engine into the 900 engine on all new bikes at PDI. This is a longer/softer spring and resolves any cam tensioner issues. If you have an older bike get your local dealer to check the type of spring fitted. This is a very easy part to examine/change if required. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thank you Engenia
have sent email to Brian Harris at Benelli UK who is arranging a replacement clutch basket to request the other parts from Benelli for my bike.

Shall keep you all advised of progress.

·
5,929 Posts
Benelli advise to fit the cam tensioner spring from the 1130 series engine into the 900 engine on all new bikes at PDI.
Didn't know that. They have my contact details, so I wonder why I haven't heard this from them? Probably because it's PDI happened 3 years ago.:(

Honestly though, I don't think that the tensioner problem is due to the spring (although it is shorter than it should be), but the moving guide fitment. My new one didn't fit initially. I had to file it down a little. It was too wide. On another engine, it may have fit, but could possibly have been too tight to be movable by the spring, no matter what its length. This is why I like to know that the tensioner is actually moving. If it doesn't move, it's not doing its job, 'cos you can bet your boots, the chain IS getting longer each time it circulates.

And jurek, it's cold wet and icey over there now, so let Brian work his magic before you venture out again:)

·
3,085 Posts
spring

Ive given Bikers Corner over here the head ups re the spring and asked mine be retrofitted with a new upgraded one when its getting serviced, be interesting to see how long the original is ?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So is there a way of checking what type of engine ie: Tre, Tre RS, 1130 TNT, 1130Tre from the numbers or is this info from Benelli only?

·
5,929 Posts
So is there a way of checking what type of engine ie: Tre, Tre RS, 1130 TNT, 1130Tre from the numbers or is this info from Benelli only?
If we can get some owners of those models to post their VIN's, and maybe engine nos., we should be able to work it out.

So far, there doesn't appear to be any difference in VIN between the Tre & the Tre RS, except maybe the check digit.

WE need more samples.

Any takers? (givers)

ACTUALLY, while the TRE owners are at it, if they could submit their recall status as well, we could build a small database of the bikes that don't have a cloud hanging over them, as opposed to those that do! Now THAT would put prospective buyers minds to rest!

It might shake out the "blissfully unaware" as well. Might have discovered 2 in that class today. Lets hope we can find the rest.

·
Member - Avatar by MDIB
199 Posts
Hi to all and a Happy new year. Benelli advise to fit the cam tensioner spring from the 1130 series engine into the 900 engine on all new bikes at PDI. This is a longer/softer spring and resolves any cam tensioner issues. If you have an older bike get your local dealer to check the type of spring fitted. This is a very easy part to examine/change if required. Hope this helps :)
Excuse my ignorance but what or who is PDI

·
349 Posts
Shogun,PDI stands for Pre Delivery Inspection.Selling dealer should always do a PDI before putting vehicle on the road.;)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK,
Here are some numbers. The RS engine is the one I would like to confirm that it is an RS.
Tornado Tre 900 54 reg AB3 003422 engine only
Tornado Tre 900RS AB3 100020 engine only
TNT 04 1130 FIRST AB3 001053 First engine that failed

The first 2 have steel clutch actuators. I dont know yet as to the clutch baskets on either until I strip them down OR can get info to confirm these have been done.
If it is an RS engine then I believe that no mods are required. Is this correct?

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
hi i am also going to send an email to brian at benelli uk (kjm) to find out about my updates for my tornado and see if i can get them i hope i don't have to wait to long :soapbox:

·
Registered
74 Posts
vin numbers

:) Here are my numbers acourding to the log book
this is a tre (green and silver the fast ones)
vin zbntb00004p101149
engine number m63703.

Not sure of the mods carried out will email kjm where i got the bike.
happy riding in 08
cheers nasty

·
Registered
146 Posts
me too, me too ...

2005 Tornado 900 RS (built 2003 I think ?)

VIN : ZBNTB00024P100052
Engine # : B3*100051

There are quite a few websites / bits of software which decode VINs,
I tried my VIN on http://www.analogx.com/CONTENTS/vinview.htm
here's what I got

Vehicle Identification Number:
1 Z
2 B
3 N
4 T
5 B
6 0
7 0
8 0
9 2
10 4
11 P
12 1
13 0
14 0
15 0
16 5
17 2

Code:
Description     Position     Raw Data   Decoded Data
Region:          1            Z          Europe
Manufacturer:    2-3          BN         Unknown
Model Specific:  4-8          TB000      Unknown
Check Digit:     9            2          Invalid
Year:   	 10           4          2004
Assembly Plant:  11           P          P 
Serial Number:   12-17        100052     100052

·
1,841 Posts
terry, I think your RS is a 2004 see tenth digit.
Also you can look at the rear of engine infront of the damper and there is a number and year here on mine.
my frame is zbntb00024p100383 eng b3 100379 rear of eng no M 307 04
this is probably Morini factory number and year ?
The 9th digit ie 2 may mean version 2 ie RS? but not sure.
Dave, if your RS eng is complete it will have oilcooler connection behind oilfilter,not the heat exchanger of tre. That is unless someone has changed it.:doh:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts