Benelli Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got home from work yesterday having taken the nelli for a blast. When I parked the bike up I heard a sort of sizzling sound (boiling water sort of sound) coming from the front of the bike under the fairing. Nothing was, or has leaked onto the floor.
Took the fairings off to discover a clear plastic pipe I'm assuming comes from the expansion tank, and is the overflow.
I surmised that as it was so hot yesterday some coolant had come out of the overflow pipe and was sizzling onto the engine.
Anyone had anything similar happen, am I way off the mark about the above mentioned clear plastic pipe?

Cheers
Peacey:confused:

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Weird you should say that, when we took the fairings off my bike recenetly to do the Stick Coil there was this tube hanging down but it went into what looked like a small plastic bottle that doesn't seem to be the correct thing, it is tie wrapped to the bike so any fluid is caught in the bottle, but as I say, the bottle looks like a kids pop bottle, so I too am assuming it's an overflow expansion tube ?

:D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
131 Posts
Got home from work yesterday having taken the nelli for a blast. When I parked the bike up I heard a sort of sizzling sound (boiling water sort of sound) coming from the front of the bike under the fairing. Nothing was, or has leaked onto the floor.
Took the fairings off to discover a clear plastic pipe I'm assuming comes from the expansion tank, and is the overflow.
I surmised that as it was so hot yesterday some coolant had come out of the overflow pipe and was sizzling onto the engine.
Anyone had anything similar happen, am I way off the mark about the above mentioned clear plastic pipe?

Cheers
Peacey:confused:
Mine did that a while ago, when i got it the Dealer had put a level in the tank and it puked it out onto the engine causing a cloud of steam. I run it with no level in now and its been fine since.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Yup thats the overflow pipe.

Upon delivery i checked the various fluid levels and noted that the coolant had been filled to the upper line on the expansion tank. I assumed that to be right until it "boiled over". Steam and water all over the place, apparently coming from under the tank. Only on here did i find the expertise stating the correct way of filling her up (ie to top of fiiler cap).

After a quick bleed of the system all seems well.

Sounds like robs bike has had a bottle fitted to catch any dribbles from the overflow

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yup thats the overflow pipe.

Upon delivery i checked the various fluid levels and noted that the coolant had been filled to the upper line on the expansion tank. I assumed that to be right until it "boiled over". Steam and water all over the place, apparently coming from under the tank. Only on here did i find the expertise stating the correct way of filling her up (ie to top of fiiler cap).

After a quick bleed of the system all seems well.

Sounds like robs bike has had a bottle fitted to catch any dribbles from the overflow
You've got the answer spot on. As long as the rad is full under the tank the expansion bottle can be empty , this is contrary to what it says in the manual, but it seems to work fine !
Plenty of previous threads on this, use the search facility if you want to read them !! Steve

·
5,934 Posts
....it is tie wrapped to the bike
Eventually, the plastic tube will harden where it is fixed with the tie-wrap - to a coolant hose - and break up.
When mine did that, I shortened it a little, and connected it to a piece of copper tube, bent so that it hooked over the aluminium coolant tube, that feeds the oil cooler, just behind #1. A bit of heatshrink sleeve kept the copper from the aluminium, in case of galvanic corrosion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Guys
You're legends, as opposed to leg ends!!
You've put my mind at ease.
Thanks once again
Graham (Peacey)
:clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Way off topic here I know but whats with the *** in some words. Is the Forum being censored for some rude coments.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Overflow pipe for expansion tank

Hi, I found the clear pipe yesterday on my TRE when I was doing an oil change and clutch adjustment, the pipe looks as if it should be rooted differently but it comes over the top of the rear suspension and ends before the cylinders.

I guess reading the previous posts that this is the correct rooting instead of being allowed to drain to floor :confused: :bow:

cheers

·
Banned
120 Posts
Hi, I found the clear pipe yesterday on my TRE when I was doing an oil change and clutch adjustment, the pipe looks as if it should be rooted differently but it comes over the top of the rear suspension and ends before the cylinders.

I guess reading the previous posts that this is the correct rooting instead of being allowed to drain to floor :confused: :bow:

cheers

assume its so it dont go all over the rear tyre ?

·
Registered
885 Posts
I rekon it should be routed to exit at rear in beside the fans so that when fans come on , presumably they will be on when bike is threatening to spew its coolant, the water is sprayed onto cars behind, just like they do on purpose cleaning their windscreens four or five times in a row when your behind them:rolling:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Mine would "squirt" under quite some pressure:D ....and was routed to exit via the slot in the right hand fairing, good for avoiding the rear tyre, not so good for avoiding the 5yr old kid on Scarbrough sea front:doh:

Have now got a small secondary catch tank in the bottom of the fairing that the pipe fits into.....thankfully not needed since the new rad resolved its tendency to boil itself.

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Have now got a small secondary catch tank in the bottom of the fairing that the pipe fits into.....thankfully not needed since the new rad resolved its tendency to boil itself.
That makes sense now Ian, my last Tornado had a similar thing that looked like a little pop bottle under the fairing, now I know why ! :doh:

Cheers for clearing that up, I thought the previous owner had botched something :rolling:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Sounds like rob has had a bottle fitted to catch any dribbles from his overflow...
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts