Benelli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember tho cant find it a couple of other tornado owners having issues with stalling and locking up the back wheel on downchanges.

Well since Im off to pack and the sun was out I thought better take her out for a spin before I leave. So after almost coming off in the drive (thank god we are leaving in january) due to the concrete, lack of drainage and being a wee bit slippery with a slope!!

but perhaps preparing me for what was to come :)

went for a ride up towards the mountains on a nice twisty road, mostly 3rd gear all the way there and back... lovely :) really enjoyed it.

So coming up towards a junction on my left and traffic lights another 200m ahead went to change down to second, as she went in bike died and i did a rather impressive but butt clenching slide on the damp road before i grabbed the clutch back in.

coasted and managed to restart it on the button.

This bike is definately a woman!!
Anyone got any ideas on what could be causing it and the failure of the slipper to slip?

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Hi There
my bike did that for a while, at the time I thought it very odd that the rear locked, the bike was also well out of tune and I had to get the following done to it:
remap (i knew it would need done as the engine had been changed)
Throttle position sensor reset
Idle speed set correctly ( so it runs a wee bitty faster )
I suspect that one of these would cure youre issue, I had more done to it as it was being serviced such as getting most of the valve clearances sorted out as they were all out which I guess didn't help it run very well.
It does seem odd that both RS engines and gearboxes allowed the back to lock up, I wonder if there is an issue with the slippers on some RS versions. I have a new type clutch basket that I will fit at some point to mine and see if this makes a difference.

I hope that you manage to get the bike sorted though, I know what you mean about it being a woman - take up all your time, money, patience...but it only take one good ride...

cheers
Fraser

·
Registered
444 Posts
I posted twice on this subject

happened to me a few times recently. I've reported it to the dealer and motogb and they are coming to pick up my tre on monday. I have a very long list of things for them to check and repair :mad:
hopefully it'll be sorted for the new year

·
Registered
157 Posts
hi angelus ,
thats identical to what happened to me, so i stripped down clutch which by the way is the 07 updated model and found the washer thats meant to be between the two baskets in wrong so assembled correctly and also adjusted nut on clutch basket center to give more lift to plates , and added motul 300v oil which has double ester and seems to be a heavier body than other 15w-50 oils which i thought would make it cling more to the clutch plates and so aid clutch slip , and since the clutch has been fine and even seems quieter than it ever was before:D
after it happened to lock up on me , i checked it in the driveway by putting the bike in gear with engine of and clutch in and i couldnt push the bike the clutch was dragging so badly ,and with the engine running every time i went to select 1st the bike would stall due to the clutch dragging which is what i think caused mine to lock up and stall as i selected 2nd approaching a junction, and as the road was wet there wasnt enough grip from the tyre to overcome the clutch drag so the bike stalled and locked up.

goodluck
rab

·
Registered
248 Posts
Any other bike company would have a recall on that issue. Thats so dangerous. What if you dropped it and slid under a bus! Unreliable problems with Benelli are bad enough, but when they risk your life, thats too much.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Any other bike company would have a recall on that issue. Thats so dangerous. What if you dropped it and slid under a bus! Unreliable problems with Benelli are bad enough, but when they risk your life, thats too much.
gotta say that i'm considering rejecting the bike under the consumer laws. If the dealer can't sort the problem when it goes in next week I may be exorcising my right to reject the bike due to serious safety issues :bawl:

·
Registered
444 Posts
bugger!

gotta say that i'm considering rejecting the bike under the consumer laws. If the dealer can't sort the problem when it goes in next week I may be exorcising my right to reject the bike due to serious safety issues :bawl:

·
Member - Avatar by MDIB
199 Posts
Thats really interesting, about 6 months ago, i was riding home in the wet, which I dont do very often, coimng up to a roundabout, changed from3rd to second about maybe 25 ks per hour, rear locked up, highsided and down she went, broke two ribs and smashed my elbow. it shook me up a bit because I was taking it really easy and travelling in a straight line . i chalked it up to inexperience. I then went and read all about slipper clutches and it appears this just shoudnt happen. Huge worry now. Damage to nelli was minimal as I think I broke its fall. If this is a fault then its really serious because someone could easily get dead from this . Also shit like this effect no claim bonuses on our already horrendously expensive insurance policies Any other similar stories.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
been home since riding a lovely reliable hornet round in the wet and cold weather, great fun.

Will test the in gear push test when back, but i thought the way these boxes locked into gear (ie neutral finding difficult) that it would be hard/almost impossible to push in 1st gear?

moving house over the next few weeks, so suspect it might be a few days longer before I get to check it out.

scaley let us know how you get on after having yours checked over.

thankfully not normally damp or wet in cyprus, so hopefully the last time it happens.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've had the stalling issue appearing a couple of times, usually when slowing down to a red light ahead, and usually only when releasing the throttle and clutch at the same time. I have never ever had any sign of a rear lock, though. All you can hear is me snapping some explicit words under the helmet, the clunks from the gear box trying to find neutral while still rolling, and the whizz from the slipper clutch if I release the clutch whilst missing the neutral.

I may be a bit off target, and this may be a silly question, but I can't help wondering what kind of oil have you been using in those bikes that lock the rear wheel when that happens? It may not have much to do with the issue, but I know that sometimes just one set of dodgy or wrong kind of oil can ruin the clutch, or wear it off prematurely.

·
Registered
444 Posts
quirky

I've had the stalling issue appearing a couple of times, usually when slowing down to a red light ahead, and usually only when releasing the throttle and clutch at the same time. I have never ever had any sign of a rear lock, though. All you can hear is me snapping some explicit words under the helmet, the clunks from the gear box trying to find neutral while still rolling, and the whizz from the slipper clutch if I release the clutch whilst missing the neutral.

I may be a bit off target, and this may be a silly question, but I can't help wondering what kind of oil have you been using in those bikes that lock the rear wheel when that happens? It may not have much to do with the issue, but I know that sometimes just one set of dodgy or wrong kind of oil can ruin the clutch, or wear it off prematurely.
My tornado was brought from a benelli dealer in November, and is currently being looked at by MOTOGB (official UK importers) themselves. Apparently they know why the problems are there and are currently rectifying them. As to what they are I don't know, I can only assume its the stepper set up as MOTOGB told me in their first email to me when my problems started. Saying that, I do expect a full explanation as to why the bike was allowed to get to me via the dealer in that state?? I will post further on the subject when i know more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts