Benelli Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi.

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem. But I have noticed that r/hand top fairing panel has got a crack in it,very close to the fixing point on the frame.

Any ideas?

Regards.

NickPTre900:doh:

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi Nick,

I don't know if they still do it but I have used stuff from Hein Gherkin in the past to pretty good effect.

In the kit you get 3 small pots of powder and a bottle of 'activator' fluid. You need to open up the crack a little (ooh misses) and fill it with some of the powder then drop some of the liquid onto the powder and before your very eyes it turns the powder solid and fuses (i.e. cold welds) the crack together. You can then sand the joint smooth and give it a quick paint and it is good as new.

It is item number 5 on the attached page from the 2005 catalouge

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Does the product have a name Laurence? :confused:

Searched Hein-Gerlicking online and can't find it listed as a current product. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi Stephen,

It doesn't have a brand name but by the looks of the instructions that come with it they seem to have sourced it from China !!!

I tried finding it on their web site but It doesn't seem to be listed. However I don't think that they have all their products on the website so it might be worth giving your local branch a call to see if the can still supply it.

Update:-

I also found this stuff which sound as though it does the same job (it's cheeper too). I have ordered some tonight so will let you know what it is like when it arrives. :)

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hi Stephen,

It doesn't have a brand name but by the looks of the instructions that come with it they seem to have sourced it from China !!!

I tried finding it on their web site but It doesn't seem to be listed. However I don't think that they have all their products on the website so it might be worth giving your local branch a call to see if the can still supply it.

Update:-

I also found this stuff which sound as though it does the same job (it's cheeper too). I have ordered some tonight so will let you know what it is like when it arrives. :)
I'll give Hein Gericke a ring (or call over) before the weekend and report back. :)

That other stuff sounds interesting as well, hope it lives up to the blurb. ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Plastex makes a few kits and works awesome. I use it for plastic parts of aircraft. They have a few different kits. The best is the one with a bunch of different colored powders. Cool thing is you can dremmel a shallow "V" on the back side, put tape across the painted side, apply the stuff, and when it hardens(minutes), it's done. You'll see the hairline crack, but thats it. It won't get bigger and may not need to paint the panel.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
you can dremmel a shallow "V" on the back side
Sounds a bit painfull to work with 'that stuff' :rolling:

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi Guys,

Well the plastic repair kit that I bought off ebay arrived today and I'm pleased to say that it worked pretty good too :clap:

In the 'kit' you get a small bottle (5g) of primer, a bottle of filler powder (40g) and a bottle of CA glue/activator. You also get an ultra fine nozzle for the bottles and 1 x free cotton bud for applying the Primer. :)

I tried it tonight on a spare couple of pieces of plastic I had lying around (as you do) and they are now well and truly stuck together. Plus the small gap that I left between the two parts has been filled in and is ready for sanding smooth.

The glue and filler powder sets in seconds but full strength is not reached until after 24 hours but I'm well impressed. Certainly worth the £12 or so just to keep in the toolbox for those little mishaps.:bawl:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Nick,

I don't know if they still do it but I have used stuff from Hein Gherkin in the past to pretty good effect.

In the kit you get 3 small pots of powder and a bottle of 'activator' fluid. You need to open up the crack a little (ooh misses) and fill it with some of the powder then drop some of the liquid onto the powder and before your very eyes it turns the powder solid and fuses (i.e. cold welds) the crack together. You can then sand the joint smooth and give it a quick paint and it is good as new.

It is item number 5 on the attached page from the 2005 catalouge

Hi Lawrence et al

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

Nick.:clap:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts