Benelli Forum banner

Fast tickover in gear

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Engenia 
#1 ·
Alright Folks. My RS ticksover at approx 2.5k when in gear & then settles down to 1.5k in neutral. I have contacted Rusty Russ & he has told me that it is a fault with the wiring loom, has anyone else had this???

#4 ·
Mine Doesnt rev higher when in gear although i did think about doing that mod that you did colin on the wiring where on shut throttle the engine is hesitant (you mentioned a trick whereby neutral could be permantly on or fully modded the engine running was smoother by altering a couple of wires . Tickover is not able to be adjusted unless using an axome - am i correct ?

#5 ·
Yes the RS ecu is wired to shut fuel on closed throttle above 2800rpm.My mod has made my rs feel nicer to ride now,I can now pick my nose then continue in the same gear instead of changing down 3 gears !
I am not sure if the Axone can set the idle speed ? Tuneboy can.

#6 ·
Hi lads, my baby is still in the paint shop getting beautified beyond belief, as soon as she comes home ill post so many pics it will probably blow the forum up!!! should be back in a couple of weeks i reckon. I remember talking to Colin about this problem when we met up one day on the way to Red Dog motorcycles, its been like it since i picked the bike up from them, its a bit a of a pain on slow 1st & 2nd gear corners, if you crack the throttle open even a tiny bit it feels like the bike it going to run away with you. When i pull up at lights & click into neutral it ticks over lovely. I want to take the bike up to Russ as i have only heard good things about him but its a long way to Sheffield, if i can get it sorted local when it gets serviced it would be well handy

#8 ·
High Idle speed

Yep...my RS does this.

When I pull up in gear, the tickover stays around 2.5k until I select neutral & then it drops to normal. Fortunately, neutral selection is not a problem on my bike :)

Rusty Russ had it in for service & couldn't explain it at the time.

So whats the workaround ???

What do I need to set in Tuneboy ??

Dave H

#9 ·
Hi Dave, my engine stopped doing this after I set the throttle valves as closed as I could. They were actually badly set with no1 open more than no2 and no2 open more than no3. The bypass screws were set shut on no1 and fully open on no3, this sort of made idle balanced. When all are closed as tight as possible if the right hand one has moved then the TPS may need reset by tuneboy or axone.It can take a bit of time to set the valves.
If you tried my "mod" with no nuetral signal to ecu then, not only will it not cut fuel on closed throttle above 2800. But it will only idle at the normal rpm.
Just ground the nuetral wire to test run. (at your own risk)

#10 ·
glad to know that my RS is not the only one that does this, having spent so much dosh on the paint i want it to be as perfect as i can get it, the only problem is that although i am good at riding, posing & polishing things, i am Pants at anything machanical, no patience....once smashed all the windows on my 7 series BMW because i couldn`t get the door open :mad: :mad: :mad:
not a great idea to let me loose with a spanner me thinks :rolling: :rolling:

#11 ·
omg lee me & you sound so much like each other its scarey!!!!!!!! i'll never try anything mechanical cos i always get stressed & throw things about the garage usually with bad conciquenscess (spelt that wrong i'm guessing) like launching a spanner & it bouncing off the wall & hitting my dads bike & dinting the tank :doh: :doh:

#12 · (Edited)
I used to be horrible as well guys and isnt it funny when you chuck in a temper the very spanner you need next !!!!!!. think age has made me mellow but yesterday doing plugs there was a moment when just a simple front fairing bolt wouldnt go and i was tempted to eat it (did i forget to say i'm a basket case !!)

#13 ·
i bet the old man wasn`t to impressed mate. i have always had a short fuse, once i skin my knuckles its going down hill from there :bawl:
much prefer to part with a few sovs & give it an pro to sort out

#14 ·
no he wasn't but 3 days later he knocked the bike lift over that was proped up against the wall & put a bigger dent in it so mine looked quite tiny compared to the 1 he did :rolling: :rolling:
& my thoughts exactly pay someone who knows what their doing cos it'll be cheaper in the long run after i've ballsed it up snapping things & cross threading them :bawl:

#15 ·
tickover

My RS did this after a tune up by red dog.
its furking annoying. Took it back to red dog who adjusted the stepper motor settings away from the factory specified setting (don't ask I can't remember) with the axy thingy and this cured the problem.:ele:

#16 ·
Yes, I also found if the adaptive stepper trim was set lower it did stop the higher revs thing.
What I can say is when my throttles were not shut as far as possible (ie allowing air to bypass),then the stepper (that is controled by the ecu to maintain set idle) was on the wrong figure and it did the revs thing.
When the throttles were shut as tight as poss the stepper reading became as per the manual (30 to 40) and it stoped the rev thing.

#19 · (Edited)
Lee,as I said before I dont mind checking your throttles,only prob I am not sure if tuneboy will work without a new licence for a different bike.(and you may need it) I will see if I can try my tuneboy on a different nelli to see.
P.S. My neutral wire to ground mod is easy to try and you may find you are happy with running then? (It should stop high rev thing) If you want to try and are not happy to do yourself give me a shout and we could meet up and I can do it for you. I will be wanting to see your new paint when its done anyway.
colin..

#20 ·
thanks mate, as soon as my baby comes back, the salt gets washed off the Queens Highway & the sun comes out (about september time!!!) ill PM you & pop over to sunny Kent, you are a Diamond :bow: :bow: :bow:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.