Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lo All

Been with the Nelli for just over 12 mnths now & can honestly say, every time I ride her, walk into the garage & catch a glimpse or just put her on the driveway to 'show' her off a wee bit .... I never regret buying her. Next to my Wife, son & black Labby dog ... she really is the love in my life !!!:rolling:

So, time has come to shed her with some new rubber.:doh:

Any good suggestions on suitable tyres to fit. Been advised to fit 180 to the rear rather than the 190 as the bike will turn quicker ... anyone agree? Also 50 versus 55 ? Again any advice on this .... noted a few probs had by some on tyre being too wide & catching the chain ... ?????:confused:

By the way, i'm not a 'knee-down' rider, only take her out when it's dry & whilst I do ride fast & corner Ok .... won't be doing any track days. Please take this into account re best tyre for my use !

Just quickly as well ... changing gear going up the box. I never use the the clutch but a wise guy yesterday hinted I should as the bike has a slipper clutch ! Thoughts please ??????:bow:

Thanks all
Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
Personally I'm fitted with a set of Corsa III's on my TRE 900 and find them awesome. They have taken me to Germany and Back and no sign of any squaring off, they also provide the stickyness to be confident over the Cat & Fiddle............

All in All excellent!!! In my opinion of course

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I have Diablo Corsa III on my nelli - been very impressed with them too (maybe around 2500-3500mls maximum life of them)

I too wont dare take my gal on track - but road riding can be a little 'spirited' at times :)

When its time to change I fancy the Michelin 2CT's - I hear very good things about them also
I wouldnt change the rear tyre size though - Benelli would have put enough R&D into what size works on the bike - so I would leave as is if I were you

As for the slipper clutch comment - I sure need to use the clutch for down changes - the purpose of a slipper clutch is to prevent the rear locking up on downchanges - ensuring the back end doesnt lock up and wash out - the clutch lever use is just as per normal riding (I dont bother using it for up changes - but use it every time for down changes - you want to hear the noise it makes on my Nelli if you try it without pulling in the lever !!!!!!!

·
1,841 Posts
The manual states 190/50 or 180/55 so you could try either ? I would not think a 180/50 would be suitable. I also have 190/50 corsa 3 and have done about 2000 miles including trip to nurburgring. They have not squared off and look good for about 3500 miles. They warm up quickly and I like them. The mich 2cts are prob good, but the soft part on the rear corsa 3 is 1/3rd of the width, where as the 2ct is only the last little 15mm or so.:confused: ;)

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Likewise, Diablo Corsa 111's. Excellent for track and road. I kept a 190 on the rear, but when it wears out I will try a 180. I would only expect to notice a difference, if any, on a track. For road use I would stick with a 190.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I agree with Colin about rear sizes. The 190/50 and 180/55 equate to about the same rolling diameter, therefore, if you fit a 180/50, you will lower the gearing, which, unless that is what you are trying to achieve, is probably not the way to go.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Bt016

Hi,

just bought BT016, and am so far impressed. 180 not 190.
Done approx 1,000 Miles on the road and a track day. Wearing as you would expect - pretty well
Even with the 180 the clearance between the Chain and the Tyre is very close.

·
Registered
254 Posts
2CT's on mine also. Love them. I agree, dunlops suck. Will be replacing the ones on the Sport soon too.

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
tyres

2CT's on mine also. Love them. I agree, dunlops suck. Will be replacing the ones on the Sport soon too.

I've got Dunlops on mine and are well pleased with them, so if thats the case I can't wait to try the ones you guys have, :rolling: , I've managed to get to the edge of the tyre and I'm not a knee down type of person, although I've been on the Ron Haslam track days twice, I'm still loathed to take my own bike on the track, but who knows, maybe next year ! :bow:

Mind you I find it Sooooooo easy to throe my Tornado about, it certainly handles better then my old, but Beautiful Daytona 955i :bow:

Rob :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
207 Posts
well i tried the 2ct the diablo corsa 3 and now the Diablo Rosso, all three good tires the 2ct has the best wetgrip and the rosso is winner in driving Mountin´s up and down
but what i changed is the size i use rear 190/55.
this size feels very much better than 190/50.

Alex
www.maniacmotors.de

·
1,841 Posts
Alex, are you talking about a 55 on a tnt ? I tried 55 on my rs tre and did not get on with them. The tre is high seat to start and the 55 makes even higher,it did turn in quick,but probably only tall riders would like ?
The tnt is a bit lower seat,so the 55 may be good for them ?

·
Registered
207 Posts
you´re right i drive this size on a TNT but had it on tornado 1130 last year too,
you´re right it increases the seat high about 15mm last line for me with 182cm size:rolling:
but i like the light way to drive from a 180/55 on tight roads with small turns and i like to have enought rubber at the street by going with a lot throttle so with a 190/55 you have both, not without reason this size is the original on the new MV Agusta´s and the additional Size written in the COC´s 2008 by Benelli

Alex

·
Registered
513 Posts
Got 2cts On Mine Much Better Than That Dunlop Crap It Came With.
Didn't Change The Sizes.

I think you guy are being harsh the Qualifiers and 207RR are quality tyres there is a massive difference between the one made in Japan and those made in France.The Japanese Dunlops are inferior to those made in France they were good enought for the R6 cup and the R1 cup.I had a set of Maxxis Supermax they came on my old RSV they were actually very good got 6000 out of those !! :clap:

Mark

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all. Will take on board your comments. Obviously everyone has their favourites so it's just a thing for me to find a suitable set for me.

Cheers all
Mark

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
you´re right i drive this size on a TNT but had it on tornado 1130 last year too,
you´re right it increases the seat high about 15mm last line for me with 182cm size:rolling:
but i like the light way to drive from a 180/55 on tight roads with small turns and i like to have enought rubber at the street by going with a lot throttle so with a 190/55 you have both, not without reason this size is the original on the new MV Agusta´s and the additional Size written in the COC´s 2008 by Benelli

Alex
Alex, that is interesting. The change to 190/55 would have 4 advantages, then; improved change of direction response from the 55 profile; extra rubber on the road from the 190 width, (although I doubt that Tornado's have enough power for that to be a real advantage); quicker steering due to the raised rear ride height steepening the fork angle; and greater ground clearance (for when you've got the throttle pinned in 6th at the bottom of Bray Hill :rolling:). A possible disadvantage is that it would raise the overall gearing, which may necessitate a larger gearbox sprocket to drop it down again. The other thing to watch out for, depending on make of tyre, would be chain clearance. As other threads have shown, this can be a problem.
Decisions, decisions...:confused:

Ian

·
Registered
207 Posts
hi ian

with the advantages you´re right, but in the coc is second Wheel size 200/50 (at TNT) so the cm around a 200/50 and a 190/55 are quite the same so i noticed only a difference from 6 km/h from 190/50 to 190/55 top speed, that realy doesent matter for me, also the chain clearence i use the same as before no problems, to be sure you can give 5mm more clearence.

Alex
by the way "at the bottom of Bray Hill"
see this, i tryed to the 6th but mountain was to low ;-)))))))) i´ll do better this year:rolling:

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great vid Alex !

Watched it again only this time I took a travel sickness tablet so didn't need the 'puke' bag !!!!! LOL :rolling:

Where is this run by the way ... Germany, Austria etc

1 - 20 of 26 Posts