Benelli Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first impresion & questions

Hi everyone,

I took the Tre out today for its first canyon ride. I was really surprised how good the handling of the bike was. In general I am very happy with its performance except for the rear brake. It seemed weak in my opinion. What do you think?

The clutch is okay. The downshifting has very little engine breaking which was kind of cool. However the whole shifting process took a little getting use to for me perhaps because of a combination of factors including stiff clutch level, feedback of the slipper clutch... it just seemed like a very long process to downshift entering a corner.

Also, I noticed that there's a little black plastic sensor looking thing (on it says Euroswitch Italy, about 15cm in diamerter) right above the brake pads with a gray wire sticking out of it... what is that? The gray wire actually came lose from its bracket under the banana swingarm, the insulation got worn from rubbing against the side of the rear tire now with the copper wire exposed.

The Tre is the most impulsive purchase I have ever made (thanks to its amazing great look.) But by the end of today's ride I'm reassured that the Tre is worth it. I can't wait to take it to the track!

Any help and riding tip is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
issues

I think thats the speedo drive, my rear brake is also weak, as in I'll never lock the rear up. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: issues

Aussievtr is correct, that little black sensor with the grey wire is the speed sensor - The same thing is used on the Aprilia RSV Mille.... :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yup..same as the Aprilia. That is your speedo senssor. Makes for extremely accurate speed registration, regardless of tire size.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks guys for the info. So I guess I shouldn't yank it out. As for the slipper clutch, I suppose I should just have faith in it and ride it like a 2 strok? Perhaps I was thinking too much. Tips about maintenance on the slipper clutch? Thanks!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
clutch

blip it on down changes, if you lose that wire you'll have a perfect excuse to tell the local cops :rollin
Oh and post some pics from the local canyons

Nath, stuck on the worlds flattest continent :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: clutch

Naw..the road up to Katoomba has some awesome twisties doesn't it?

..and down south towards Cooma to if I remember correctly. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: clutch

You are right Roland,

Unfortunately Aussievtr uh hem aussieRS or whatever the new alias is is stuck in Perth.;)

I am at the foot of the Blue Mountains :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Just been looking through the Benelli Forum and reading all the posts. I just picked up my 05 Tre about a month back from GPStar. Only have about 100 miles on it to date but the weathere here in Texas is just to hot to ride this time of year. I have also ordered the clutch conversion kit as I find neutral almost impossiable to find at anything under 15mph. My real problem is the seat height. With a 29inch in seam I can barely touch the ground while standing still on the bike. Has anyone tried to lower the seat height?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: New Member

Yes, There was a post from Engenia who said he had lowered the front shocks at the steering head.

If you do this make sure that you do not go over any speed bumps etc as it leaves the exhaust downpipes pretty exposed as they barely have clearance at stock settings.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: New Member : Seat Height

This has been discussed before, but, basically -

1. drop the forks through the triple clamps by up to 10mm - any more and the bars wont clear the fairing.

2. reduce the preload on the rear shock by 10 - 20mm. Assuming that your smaller stature comes with a lower weight, the suspension won't bottom out.

3. remove the side stand & mount bracket - there are 2 bolts holding this - add wedges, inside and out, to angle the side stand by a further 8 - 10 degrees. I had to use longer bolts, and run a tap through the frame side thread, to allow the new bolts to use all the bight available.
One bloke told of a nut cut off at an angle to provide the wedges, I machined them - it's neater.
The wedges give the bike enough lean angle for stability when parked on the side stand.

If you need more clarification, ask, I'll post a diagram.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: New Member : Seat Height

Captain Commando,
Welcome!! You're in Texas??

I'm in Austin.
Whooo! Lot's of questions for you if your in Austin. Must give me a call sometime. I'm out this week but will be around Monday.

512-554-4394 cell
______

Perth? yup, yup...pretty flat over there..hehe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: 2nd impression

Captain Commando, thanks for leaving me one of those silver and greens at GP Star :D I hope the weather will get cooler soon at TX.

So I took the Tre out for the second time to the twisties today. I tried down shifting as I would on a 2 stroke and it worked good! Most of the time I didn't even blip the throttle. I got used to the lever's kicking-back sensation.

I was able to quicken the pace a bit this time... Brembo rocks!!!! I am so impressed by the brakes! But it's definitely time to adjust the front suspension.

Since I kept the rev pretty high today, I finally had a chance to enjoy its exhaust note and engine noises... wow, needless for me to repeat here that everything sounded so good!!! So humor me please... I would like to compare the sound of Tre to the low, sexy and raspy voice of a long legged babe... I am dreaming of Natascha McElhone in silver and green 8o

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Texas

Hey Roland, I didn't know you were in Texas, in 200/2001 I rode for a roadrace team based in Texas owned by Jeff Harder, we tested out at Motorsport Ranch a couple of times. We were based 30 min north of Dallas. I had me some awesome nights there in Deep Ellem with y'all ;-)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts