Benelli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's what went through my head as I was trying to land my paraglider today. Made the bad mistake of not landing into the wind, instead I went in the same direction as the wind was travelling and the speed it picked up was f*cking scary. Felt I was coming down like a Boeing 747 with my height dropping nice and steady but bugger me I was going fast. The terrain was bloody bumpy, and as my feet finally hit the ground it felt like I had jumped out of a moving car:rolling: Got friggin' dragged along the ground for about 15ft and thought I'd broken my ankle into the bargain. And all this on the day when two new female students had joined us for a days training:rolling:
Still, got to around just under 300ft and had some really nice flights today, although on my last flight I did manage to land in the only tiny stream that ran down from the hill and twisted my other ankle:rolling:

Al;)

·
Registered
417 Posts
That's what went through my head as I was trying to land my paraglider today. Made the bad mistake of not landing into the wind, instead I went in the same direction as the wind was travelling and the speed it picked up was f*cking scary. Felt I was coming down like a Boeing 747 with my height dropping nice and steady but bugger me I was going fast. The terrain was bloody bumpy, and as my feet finally hit the ground it felt like I had jumped out of a moving car:rolling: Got friggin' dragged along the ground for about 15ft and thought I'd broken my ankle into the bargain. And all this on the day when two new female students had joined us for a days training:rolling:
Still, got to around just under 300ft and had some really nice flights today, although on my last flight I did manage to land in the only tiny stream that ran down from the hill and twisted my other ankle:rolling:

Al;)
Arent you in comms with instructor on the ground? Thiought you still would have been at this stage in training so they would have made sure landing into wind?
If you get flare and landing right its like stepping off a 2 foot step ladder with no running required :p :D

Glad you are enjoying it and weather letting you get the flights in.

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Arent you in comms with instructor on the ground? Thiought you still would have been at this stage in training so they would have made sure landing into wind?
If you get flare and landing right its like stepping off a 2 foot step ladder with no running required :p :D

Glad you are enjoying it and weather letting you get the flights in.
Comms with the instructor? What's that?:rolling: He occasionally shouts at us from the ground but that's about it. Tried flaring the glider as much as I could but it didn't make one bit of difference:rolling:

You solo now then?
Yup, have been since day one Dynamo;)

Al:D

·
Registered
417 Posts
Comms with the instructor? What's that?:rolling: He occasionally shouts at us from the ground but that's about it. Tried flaring the glider as much as I could but it didn't make one bit of difference:rolling:

Yup, have been since day one Dynamo;)

Al:D
Surprised instructors not connected up to you via radio... we had ear piece so instructors could talk to us... we couldnt talk to them though.. prob a good thing! It was very useful for first big hop flights!.. when I had turned a few times tended to lose where I was and where I was supposed to land :doh:

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
So what does all this cost Hsm

[Hsm= Hot sphinxter man]:rolling:

/\ /\ /\ bad spelling im sure lol

·
1,231 Posts
Talk is cheap

If I were his instructor I wouldn't have two way with him. It comes down to this...flying incorporates an extra movement dimension which we are not use to maneuvring in...altitude. This extra dynamic takes some getting used to. Believe me when I tell you that you will get yourself into trouble like this more than once. You have to learn how to get yourself out because teh instructor won't be there every time you fly. Getting through it after making the mistake makes sure you won't ever do it again.

The old saying from this type of learning as it pertains to pilots is "There are o.d pilots, there are bold pilots, but there are few old bold pilots."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts